The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: compression check

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar

compression check

ok, i need to know what i need to use to check the compression on my engine. I figured before a i start trying to swap the engine i'd better make sure it's good to go. So any suggestion on preparation would be nice.

Also, when i took the old exhaust mani off i noticed that the last bolt all the way to the right on the bottom had been drilled out, and it's like a gaping hole. Too large for my new stud to fit into, any suggestions on that? I already have some JB weld ready to go into the whole, but i was wondering if i should;
    A: jb weld a new stud in place of the old one.
    B: try to drill the rest of the old stud out and then jb weld the stud in.
    C: just jb weld the whole hole and drill and tap a new hole for the stud.

Re: compression check

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok, i need to know what i need to use to check the compression on my engine. Â*I figured before a i start trying to swap the engine i'd better make sure it's good to go. Â*So any suggestion on preparation would be nice.

Also, when i took the old exhaust mani off i noticed that the last bolt all the way to the right on the bottom had been drilled out, and it's like a gaping hole. Â*Too large for my new stud to fit into, any suggestions on that? Â*I already have some JB weld ready to go into the whole, but i was wondering if i should;
    A: jb weld a new stud in place of the old one.
    B: try to drill the rest of the old stud out and then jb weld the stud in.
    C: just jb weld the whole hole and drill and tap a new hole for the stud.</div>

if you are refering to the turbo manifold,
    odds are that the manifold is a 2g manifold.
    the 7 bolt heads have large 12mm studs on each end, and 10mm studs in between.
    either way,
    jb welding a turbo manifodl isn't a great idea, seeing as how jbweld is rated to 500 degrees and yoru manifodl will get as hot as 1100 on the outside and 1600 on the inside.
    im pretty sure the jbweld would ignite.

lets see some pics.

as far as compression test....
    i'm not reayy sure how you woudl do it off the car other than bolting a tranny and flywheel to it out of the car, then boltign up a starter and wiring it to a healthy battery.... and cranking on it.

idk, i'm sure a machine shop coudl do it, they could also leak down test the motor.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yah only thing I can think of is to bolt up the trans and starter, throw some oil in the motor and do it that way. I never did a compression check on my motor untill it was in the car, but I had 170-180 across the board which is phenomenal for a JDM 6bolt.
    7g for life!

ok... i was just wondering i thought i read somwhere where someone did a compression check by turning the crank by hand. guess not

As far as the other..

it's the hole that you screw the stud for the exhaust manifold. Just one, all the others are ok. the exhaust mani studs are threaded on both ends, the shorter goes into the head on the exhaust side the other end you put a nut on after the manifold is installed. the hole is on the actual head...

i'll try to put some pics up. to show what i'm talkikng about.

here's what i'm dealing with. i kept them big so hopefully you can see the detail of the whole

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Wow, I dont think mine is like that at all! Does it look like sime one drilled it out very poorly? Probably have to JB weld the hole up, drill a new hole, then helicoil it.

Wouldnt be the strongest but its better then no bolt?
    7g for life!