The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PRELoad? Explain in regards to Tein SS-P

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

PRELoad? Explain in regards to Tein SS-P

I read about preload on coilover, but I still don't get it.

I can't afford JIC, so I'm getting Tein SS-P.

What's with preload in relation to a 8gen with SS-P?

Should I just stick with the basic spring rates or special order a specific set?

Will be dropped to close the gap on my 18x8 wheels. I will camber the front and rear. The front has a +38 offset so I need to camber it so it won't hit the fender. maybe a 2 degree camber on front an 1 degree on rear.

Thanks...
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

TGC Regular
    the preload can't be set on the ss-p.

the only way to set the preload is if the shock height has a separate threaded adjustment than the springs. (for example on the tein flex, or the jic magics)

the preload adjustment compresses the springs to get the spring rate you want. then you adjust the shock height separately to get the height you want.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/part...jiccomplete.jpg

for example look at the threaded shock body. its threaded all the way down. u can adjust the spring compression at the top of the shock body. at the bottom of the shock body u can adjust how high or low the actual shock sits inside the shock housing.
    Your signature is too long.

wow. that was clear. thanks for the visual help too.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    yup.

thats why the Type Flex and JIC coilovers are more desirable because of that feature. Another thing is, that with the SSP's your limiting your shock travel because if you raise the ride height, your putting tension on the spring which in turn puts resistance on the shock. This is also called pre-load, but on a SSP coilover its directly related to the ride height, where as on the Type Flex or JIC coilover its adjusted independant of the ride height.

D2 racing makes coilovers that are EXACTLY the same as the JIC's for our cars, they are 32 way adjustable and I think they cost like $1200. Check out www.nolimitmotorsport.com
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

the D2 setup, I've checked it out. the eclipse price is 1500 retail and my cost is 30% off

BUT

I hear they don't last long, the don't have a "clicking" noise when u adjust dampening...its made in china!

D2 and Ksport...the same thing.

So after talking to so many people, Galant and others, say Tein SS-P unless I can afford JIC, but as a daily JIC would suck, notreally made for daily.

So I'm gonna stick with Tein SS-P. But should I stick with the spring rates they give or special order a setup?

thanks

TGC Regular
    i think the spring and damping rates on the ssp are a good match. they're stiff enough to drive the galant hard in the canyons(stiffer than spring shock combos and tein basic). and they're not too stiff where it'll break your back for daily driving. on crappy roads your passengers will complain about the harsh ride.

can you tell us why you're interested in a stiffer spring rate? if you're putting on weight(ice and whatnot) or because you're gonna slam it and don't want to bottom out? then i guess u can go stiffer, but getting overly stiff springs you probably want to look into getting the shocks revalved for the stiffer springs.

if its purely for performance i think u should be thinking about swaybars intead of stiffer springs.
    Your signature is too long.

My subs are already out. I have d3 stiffening kit already. waiting for my addco rear away to come in the mail. I plan to get the prothane busing kit soon.

I want a stiffer setting cause I'm lowering it as much as I can with my kit and when I had the tein ss at the stiffest setting, I thought it wasn't stiff enough.

So I won't realy know until I have it on. I never had any of that stuff on my car before. I had OEM wheels too. All I had was a strut bar and the tein ss.

so maybe it will be good with my setp

Goal:
    Tein SS-P (need)
    D3 CSK (have)
    Addco Rear Swaybar (mail)
    RRE Strutbar (have)
    Prothane Full bushing kit (need)
    Work Vs 18x8 +38 offset (have)
    Dunlop Direzza 225/40r18 (have)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyasianz)</div><div class='quotemain'>the D2 setup, I've checked it out. the eclipse price is 1500 retail and my cost is 30% off Â*

BUT

I hear they don't last long, the don't have a "clicking" noise when u adjust dampening...its made in china!

D2 and Ksport...the same thing.

So after talking to so many people, Galant and others, say Tein SS-P unless I can afford JIC, but as a daily JIC would suck, notreally made for daily. Â*

So I'm gonna stick with Tein SS-P. But should I stick with the spring rates they give or special order a setup?

thanks</div>

my friend has had D2's in his R33 Skyline for 2 years with no problems at all. Just because something is made in China doesnt automatically mean its garbage. Whoever is giving you that pricing is jerking you around, because you can buy them here as a regular customer, with free ground shipping for $1150.
    http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/D2-M17

I had the Tein SS-P's and I didnt really like the ride height. I didnt like the fact that just installing them in the car made the car 1 1/2" lower then stock. I've seen them on DANJ's car and his ride height was nice, but I could never seem to get mine like that, and I adjusted them all the time. Custom spring rates really arent necessary unless you plan on racing and you can calculate exactly what kind of rates you need. For drag racing you always want stiffer rear springs, this was originally my plan, until I found out that custom springs take almost 4 months to get from Tein. JIC's not made for daily driving? That is a very generalized statement at best. I know a few people running JIC's daily with no complaints. If anything, JIC's should be better for daily driving, since you have more adjustment options that you would be able to dial the suspension in better for a more comfortable ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

i do have a k-sport on my Accord's and nothing wrong with it, even though its made in china and the settings not clicking... so my opinion is, made in china or not clicking doesnt mean they are not good.

the guy I'm dealing with is VIC of wheeloptions.com. he owns the dicount tires in el monte. he told me that stuff about D2 and Ksports. Reelax deals with him and many other people I know in socal. but I'm still researcing on what to get. thanks.

I'm also talking to a homie from F1 motorsports, Sam. so I'm still not sure...