The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cold air intake problems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    Experienced TGC Member
    maybe check your o2 sensors??? are you throwing a code of some sort!?
    -Chris

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Is this problem occuring after you installed the DOHC head or before?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    LOLOL, Dude i think you got a vacuum leak or some shit. I dont know what you did or what you touched but installing a cold air shouldnt give you so much problems especially something serious like stalling.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by fastmgalant97
    well i guess ur right bc its doin it again i duno what the hell to do im trin to get this thing runnin right so i can post some pics and some footage fo my distributor dohc but im having all kinds of problems now
    ok here is the deal,
    first off,
    did you check your compression after your headswap?

second,
    when you put the 4g63 head on the 4g64 block(even if you use the 4g64 dohc timing belt)
    the timing will be off.
    the reason is that the deck on the 4g64 is taller than the deck on the 4g63,
    and thus the cam gears are indexed differently.

you if you didn't index yoru cam gears properly, then your head is now running "out of time".

cam timing not being dead on could cause small idleing problems or poor vacuum etc. its not a big enough difference between the 4g64 and 4g63 to put your valves in danger, but nonetheless the issue needs to be addressed.(if it hasn't been already)

ok,
    so here is what I think it actually is.

did you use all new throttle body gaskets, and intkae manifold gaskets when you installed the head? (hopefully you used a new exhaust manifold gasket so you aren't leaking out power)
    but if any of those places have leaks(on the intake side) it will cause your car to run rough, and possibly die when the load changes(like when your fans or a/c comes on)

second,
    the seals where the injectors seat into the head: these can bind, or pinch when you are installing the injectors/fuel rail, also.... they age over time and can be a bigtime vacuum leak.

third,
    you used the 1g throttle body correct?
    is your idle set correctly?
    if its low, then when the fans come on or the a/c compressor kicks in... the engine can sputter, or stall.
    so try adjusting your idle

those are your most likely culprits.

get a intake leak tester and work it out.

and by all means,
    please don't hesitate to show us pictures, even before you get it worked out.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    OH!!, i didnt know you did a head swap. Man your timing is way off..........get a timing gun.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    ok here is the deal,
    first off,
    did you check your compression after your headswap?

second,
    when you put the 4g63 head on the 4g64 block(even if you use the 4g64 dohc timing belt)
    the timing will be off.
    the reason is that the deck on the 4g64 is taller than the deck on the 4g63,
    and thus the cam gears are indexed differently.

you if you didn't index yoru cam gears properly, then your head is now running "out of time".

cam timing not being dead on could cause small idleing problems or poor vacuum etc. its not a big enough difference between the 4g64 and 4g63 to put your valves in danger, but nonetheless the issue needs to be addressed.(if it hasn't been already)
    ok,
    so here is what I think it actually is.
    did you use all new throttle body gaskets, and intkae manifold gaskets when you installed the head? (hopefully you used a new exhaust manifold gasket so you aren't leaking out power)
    but if any of those places have leaks(on the intake side) it will cause your car to run rough, and possibly die when the load changes(like when your fans or a/c comes on)

second,
    the seals where the injectors seat into the head: these can bind, or pinch when you are installing the injectors/fuel rail, also.... they age over time and can be a bigtime vacuum leak.

third,
    you used the 1g throttle body correct?
    is your idle set correctly?
    if its low, then when the fans come on or the a/c compressor kicks in... the engine can sputter, or stall.
    so try adjusting your idle
    those are your most likely culprits.

get a intake leak tester and work it out.
    and by all means,
    please don't hesitate to show us pictures, even before you get it worked out.

I dont have a 7g

But this is why im in TGC

8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    ya reset the ecu

yup have everything tight and in the right position.. pain in the ass but it's the price to pay of having CAI..

fastmgalant97
    timing is fine, im not that stupid.... gaskets are brand new , idel is fine untill the fan cuts on and then its all downhill from there, i have no a/c (took it out) im throwing out a code PO1500 intermidiate speed sensor i think this is because i have a bad front roll stopper mount, everything is practically brand new and intalled correctly it just when it gets warm and the fans cut on it sputters and dies ne one have ne suggestions that i already havent thought about thanx for the help guys

somthing else is when i took the cover off the fuse box under the hood the ALT/CHOKE relay was HOT!!!! it about burn the hell outta my finger now im pretty sure its not supposed to be hot like that ne know y it could be so hot

no one was saying you are stupid.
    i was just saying its pretty damn easy to miss that step.
    the part numbers for the 4g64dohc and the 4g63dohc cam gears are totally different.

so if your timing marks aren't compensated for correctly, then its going to have effects.

are you using your galant IAC or the IAC from the eclipse throttle body?

i woudl definatly do a intake leak test just to rule out anything there.

but if your idle air controller isn't operating properly, then it could cause problems such as this.
    what idle rpm are you at right now(with the coolant up to temperature and the rpms stable)(before the fans kick in)?

also, did you hook up a timing light and check your base ignition timing?
    since you moved the distributor over,
    you definatly need to(if you haven't allready) set the base ignition timing.
    its easy just go borrow a gun from autozone.
    ignition timing can effect your base idle speed.

forgot to ask, what plugs are you running and at what gap?

btw(its been asked a few times)
    what model year is your galant?
    if its a 96-98, you ought to get a datalogger. all you need is a cheap ebay palm pilot, and a 5 dollar cable. and you can log and monitor all of your engine metrics, plus scan codes, test solenoids, injectors etc.
    the software is free.

can we get some pics allready. lol

are all your grounds secure?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

fastmgalant97
    im idling at 750 dead even until the fans kick in ive done the leak detector ive got the timing light those are all things i did when i started her up the first time with the 4g63 head on it ive got the eclipse throttle body with the 1g IAC look its got to be sumthing simple bc it worked fine when i started it up the first couple times without the cold air, when i got the cold air intake on it. it started to act like this

do u guys use the hose for ur filter that comes out of the valve cover or do u just use a breather filter

Quote Originally Posted by fastmgalant97
    im idling at 750 dead even until the fans kick in ive done the leak detector ive got the timing light those are all things i did when i started her up the first time with the 4g63 head on it ive got the eclipse throttle body with the 1g IAC look its got to be sumthing simple bc it worked fine when i started it up the first couple times without the cold air, when i got the cold air intake on it. it started to act like this

do u guys use the hose for ur filter that comes out of the valve cover or do u just use a breather filter
    well the breather is supposed to draw in metered air.
    it gets inhaled through the pcv into the engine.
    if your breather line isn't inhaling air that the mas has already metered(like it woudl if you have a nipple on your intake, or in the factory hose diagram)
    then it will screw with the a/f ratio and effect yoru tune..
    but not so much that it woudl cause these problems..
    unless the pcv valve is stuck open or soemthign odd like that.

what mas adaptor are you using? is there a clean seal in between the mas and the adaptor?
    alot of the adaptors out there are poorly machined.

did you remove yoru honeycombs or anythign on your mas?

ok lets see,
    my factory catalyst for my original 2.4 dohc "GS" motor says:
    curb idle (all accessories turned off w/o fans running) 800
    base timing is(at curb idle with ignition timing adjustment terminal grounded)
    5* btdc

the plug gap is .039-.043

perhaps you should try upping your base idle to 800-850.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12