The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: front license plate

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    did anybody get pulled over for not having a front license plate?
    I saw kalamidad attached his to the windshiled on the inside of the car... is that legal?

ask your local cop about that. make sure he/she is not dick about it. if it's okay in your area, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

any maryland, the front liscense plate has to be secured to the outside front of the car. having it in the dash is not only illegal but dangerous.

and yea, i know people who got pulled over. actually they've paid me to reattach their plates to the front bumper.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    any maryland, the front liscense plate has to be secured to the outside front of the car. having it in the dash is not only illegal but dangerous.

and yea, i know people who got pulled over. actually they've paid me to reattach their plates to the front bumper.
    i dont like the idea of drilling two holes into my bumper. so i just go without one, in dallas they dont really mind if there isnt a space bracket for it on the car
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Yea i would check with your local cops. But Ive left mine off and have gotten warnings for it. Ive also heard that having it in the windshield brings more attention to it not being on the bumper.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

In Calif., it's so backwards... it's illegal if you don't have a front plate... BUT, get this, it doesn't have to be your license plate. You just can't be without a plate; it can be any plate, novelty and all. Unless the laws have changed here, it's been that way like forever.

BTW, you're also not supposed to have a cover (tinted or clear) over the license plate.

I remember there used to be online DMV vehicle code rules and regulations for many states. Perhaps someone can furnish that URL for you to look up the law.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Quote Originally Posted by TJC
    In Calif., it's so backwards... it's illegal if you don't have a front plate... BUT, get this, it doesn't have to be your license plate. You just can't be without a plate; it can be any plate, novelty and all. Unless the laws have changed here, it's been that way like forever.

BTW, you're also not supposed to have a cover (tinted or clear) over the license plate.

I remember there used to be online DMV vehicle code rules and regulations for many states. Perhaps someone can furnish that URL for you to look up the law.
    Never head of that one about the front plate being different, but here is the Cali plate laws:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd3c1a9.htm

yeah. I'm a magnet for "falure to display front tag" tickets. I live in Towson as well. I've gotten 2 tickets driving my galant. and 4 tickets driving/parking my Scirocco. I really, really hate the fact that you have to put it on, but at this point... I don't really have a choice. If you do decide to leave it off, don't put it in your window. keep it in the glovebox. they will pull you over just for that, becuase it isn't legal to keep it in the window. Just tell the cop that you just got your front bumper re-painted last week and haven't gotten around to putting the plate back on. also be carefull where you park. don't park without a front tag in places like apartment complexes that have people who run rounds for parking tickets. 2 of my tickets were from parking overnight at Donnybrook in Towson. also you can get away with not having one on the front for a while. I did for 5 months, but if you get pulled over for any other thing, they will nail you for "falure to display front tag" because obviously you not having a front tag puts everyone in danger.

my front plate is ziptied the front of my car.i have a front bumper for a kit on and theres no way to mount it unless rigging some custom holder on the front.if ur a moderate distance in front of my car u can see it clearly. i remember driving through a construction area on a local street with state police directing traffic and he did a doubletake at my front end.i got that gut feeling he was gonna say something about the plate.but he just gave me the usual awkward staredown.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar

yup. It got me a &#036;50 fine 3 -4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluetotoro
    yeah. I'm a magnet for "falure to display front tag" tickets. I live in Towson as well. I've gotten 2 tickets driving my galant. and 4 tickets driving/parking my Scirocco. I really, really hate the fact that you have to put it on, but at this point... I don't really have a choice. If you do decide to leave it off, don't put it in your window. keep it in the glovebox. they will pull you over just for that, becuase it isn't legal to keep it in the window. Just tell the cop that you just got your front bumper re-painted last week and haven't gotten around to putting the plate back on. also be carefull where you park. don't park without a front tag in places like apartment complexes that have people who run rounds for parking tickets. 2 of my tickets were from parking overnight at Donnybrook in Towson. also you can get away with not having one on the front for a while. I did for 5 months, but if you get pulled over for any other thing, they will nail you for "falure to display front tag" because obviously you not having a front tag puts everyone in danger.
    Donnybrook that's where I live lol

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22
    i dont like the idea of drilling two holes into my bumper. so i just go without one, in dallas they dont really mind if there isnt a space bracket for it on the car
    u don't have to drill. on the '99-'01 bumper, there are 2 holes underneather the bumber... these will secure the stock plate holder (if u lost the small clips and screws, just go to the auto store and get new ones). screw the plates to the holder then the holder to those 2 hidden screws under the bumper w/ clips and screws... to remove the front plates for shows / photos, just unscrew those 2 hidden screws and remove the holder and plate in one piece (the clips should r4emian in the bumper). it takes about 10-15 seconds. i used to do this at meets and photoshoots all the time.

from now on i will always have my front plate on the street; i've gotten pulled over at least 10 times for no front plate in the last 5 years.

Yeah I got pulled over for it last winter here in MD. When we had the big snow I was shoveling by my car and knocked it off my side mount bracket on accident. Anyhow I decided to proceed with it off and next thing you know a cop stops me off route 100. I told him the truth of why I didn't have it on and he came back with a &#036;50 ticket. I guess he wanted to be a dick where he could have just giving me a warning but to be honest I really didn't care.- Anyhow the begining of spring I got my body kit repainted so every since then I been riding with the plate in the window and haven't gotten bugged for it yet.
    shogun8g: I feel gay

Same here, a state trooper pulled me over for not having a plate in the front, i got a fix a ticket, all i had to do is fix the plate and get some cop sig my ticket then mail it. I have a sheriff that i know, he just signed it.... i still ride without one, in some cases i put it on the wondow, whenever i am on the interstate or i see cops arround.
    Still representing for St. Petersburg, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by murlopaz
    Donnybrook that's where I live lol
    haha, damn your close. yeah I used to have a bunch of friends who lived in donnybrook. I'm still around that area a lot. from what i've been told, the only reason I would get tickets there, was becuase I parked my VW on the street and it had a eurotag on the front. and there is a guy who just drives or walks around in the morning and gives tickets to anyone who has something wrong with their car. you should be fine though if you park in one of the private lots.

Experienced TGC Member

Im the same way