The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is this normal? gauge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34
    Experienced TGC Member
    sometime it goes to the red mark..but thats rarely still...what shoud I do..
    New radiator?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    well on my car it is, my temp never really goes in the half range. Has it always been like that or are you just noticing it?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    well on my car it is, my temp never really goes in the half range. Has it always been like that or are you just noticing it?
    i been noticing for week or two

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    You might need a little more coolent. My 7g did that one time, I checked the coolent and it needed come more.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Whens the last time you flushed your cooling system? When was the last time you changed your thermostat? The needle shouldn't really move...unless you traveled 2 hours straight, 70+mph with the A/C on the whole time. Also are the coolant levels enough?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Whens the last time you flushed your cooling system? When was the last time you changed your thermostat? The needle shouldn't really move...unless you traveled 2 hours straight, 70+mph with the A/C on the whole time. Also are the coolant levels enough?
    never

and i cheak the coolant level and yes its low...I think thats the problem.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Fill up the coolant untill its at the top, start the car, fill it up again untill it hits hte top, put the cap on. The excess will just be pushed into the resevoir. Check the coolant in the overflow resevoir, if its a brown color, you need a flush. WOuldnt be a bad idea to do a flush anyway though.

Better yet, just give your car to me, and I will take care of it for you ;)
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    lolol.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Fill up the coolant untill its at the top, start the car, fill it up again untill it hits hte top, put the cap on. The excess will just be pushed into the resevoir. Check the coolant in the overflow resevoir, if its a brown color, you need a flush. WOuldnt be a bad idea to do a flush anyway though.

Better yet, just give your car to me, and I will take care of it for you ;)
    haha lets do that then...

ya i will flush

Oh, and by taking care of it, I meant keeping the car for good...

7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Oh, and by taking care of it, I meant keeping the car for good...

OH..hmm..naw 8-)

hmm ok.. Furious.. sorry but i gotta steal ur thread...

u guys are saying that it shouldnt be that high.. usually mine is like that.. once in a while it will go up to where it would be pointing to the 3/4th gas mark

when it gets about that high i usually have the recycle air button on and slow down a bit from like.. 70 to say.. 65 or something like that.. and it would go down.. quickly.. but on a normal day.. driving to college which is about 35mins of highway.. it would get to the red mark on his pic..

i check the fluids and its filled up.. i had the the flush back in june..

so.. wats the problem..
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mapid145
    hmm ok.. Furious.. sorry but i gotta steal ur thread...

u guys are saying that it shouldnt be that high.. usually mine is like that.. once in a while it will go up to where it would be pointing to the 3/4th gas mark

when it gets about that high i usually have the recycle air button on and slow down a bit from like.. 70 to say.. 65 or something like that.. and it would go down.. quickly.. but on a normal day.. driving to college which is about 35mins of highway.. it would get to the red mark on his pic..

i check the fluids and its filled up.. i had the the flush back in june..

so.. wats the problem..
    me to man i drive to college about 45 min to hour and sometime i get to red mark but i just put some coolant hopefully this fixes the problem

If it gets into the read or anywhere near it, STOP DRIVING! Its only going to make things worse! You can blow your head gasket, warp your head, not cheap repairs.

Mapid: Have you ever replaced your thermostat? If you let your car just sit and idle, does it over heat? It shouldnt go past the 1/2 way mark ever.
    7g for life!

Just some additional ideas

Do you occacionally hear the fans turn on in the front. Both of them.

They should come on at some point after the car has reached the middle temp.

Both of you should have the sytem flushed just for the sake of upkeep.

And then see if the thermostat is working.

Goodluck.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Furious...I stronly recommend flushing your cooling system and replacing your thermostat anyways especially if you never did it, because its due for it.

What you want to do is get a nice cooling system flush/cleaner either from Preston or Zerex. Usually it requires you to drain some coolant from the system then pour the stuff into your radiator. Usually it will require you to drive a total of about 3 hours so the flushi additive can do its job in the cooling system. Then just let the car cool and let all the coolant out. Changing your thermostat is important and luckily not that expensive..about $12-$15.

When you fill your system back up....you can either buy the 50/50 premixed coolant or if you buy the concentrated coolant, mix it wil distilled water. Regular water usually has mineral deposits that can promote "rust" in your cooling system. If you have a extra $10...buy some "Water Wetter", the stuff enhances the cooling efficiency and will overall the car will run "cooler" coolant temps.......which is a good thing, especially in the HOT months.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Furious...I stronly recommend flushing your cooling system and replacing your thermostat anyways especially if you never did it, because its due for it.

What you want to do is get a nice cooling system flush/cleaner either from Preston or Zerex. Usually it requires you to drain some coolant from the system then pour the stuff into your radiator. Usually it will require you to drive a total of about 3 hours so the flushi additive can do its job in the cooling system. Then just let the car cool and let all the coolant out. Changing your thermostat is important and luckily not that expensive..about $12-$15.

When you fill your system back up....you can either buy the 50/50 premixed coolant or if you buy the concentrated coolant, mix it wil distilled water. Regular water usually has mineral deposits that can promote "rust" in your cooling system. If you have a extra $10...buy some "Water Wetter", the stuff enhances the cooling efficiency and will overall the car will run "cooler" coolant temps.......which is a good thing, especially in the HOT months.

ya i am going change that either today...or tommrow.

Good Deal Furious 8-)

Though dispose the old coolant properly. Either take it to autozone/advanced auto/pepboys, etc or a dealership around you. That stuff isn't good for the ground or mixing with the local water sewage. Plus don't let it happen to you what my friend did. He just let his coolant drain down his driveway because he said it was "going to rain so it will wash it away" and the next day there were 2 dead cats near his front yard on the curb. Looked like they went to drink water flowing from the rain..but there was some coolant mixed with it. :-?

Yah, pure coolant is just retarded. The pre-mixed coolant is the only way to go for sure.

And yah, the stuff is pretty hazardous to the enviroment. But at a junkyard I used to go to, there was this old dog that roamed around and he used to drink coolant like crazy lol. Not sure if he was immune to it, but he was there everytime I went for like a year straight ha! Was a cool dog indeed.
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    From what I've been told coolant taste sweet to some aniamal. If he drunk coolant alot he should dead by know or he must have one hell of a immune system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast