The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blowout Valves

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    BlaqueOut

Blowout Valves

Aight, aight. Whats the deal with blowout valves. What the hell do the do, and do they increase performance. Most importantly, what are they connected to and where can I look at getting one if Im interested. I've seen a universal one here http://www.overboost.com/obs/default.asp do you think it'll work?? Holla Back.[/url]

they'll only benefit you if you are running some kinda forced induction...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Nick VR4
    As Pinoy said unless you have a turbo
    Nothing
    It dumps the air back into the athmospehere, you avoid it pressing against the turbine wheel (slowing it down)

Yea but when you have boost, there's nothing sweeter than that psssssh sound as the car flies by you and shifts gears. That's my favorite part about Getaway in Stockholm is that Cosworth motor with the big blowoff....what a sound.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Ok, so does that mean I can put on a blowoff valve just for the sound?? If so, is it a easy bolt on??
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Ok, so does that mean I can put on a blowoff valve just for the sound?? If so, is it a easy bolt on??
    You'll really wouldnt want to do that because when u race someone and they here it and they beat u they will say they beat a turbocharged Galant.. There was a guy around the way who did that, and everybody beat him, we all thought he was charged, just to find out he had just the blowoff valve, and nothing else..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Thats true but I don't race that much anyways.......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

a blowoff valve (BOV) is used for protecting a turbo or supercharger... when u get off the throttle (to change gears for instance) there is a lot of pressure built up between the intake manifold and the turbo (or blower) since the compressed air is now not being used for combustion. that extra pressure can actually stop the turbo suddenly from spinning and can break the compressor impellor or the bearings inside the turbo; in a super charger, the impellor would keep spinning since and the pressure would cause the impeelor ot bearings to fail. to relieve the boost surge, the blowoff vlave releases the pressure. the sound the BOV makes is the intake charge being expelled.

so a BOV wouldn't even open on a N/A engine as there would never be enough intake pressure (boost) to activate it.

Thanks Reelax. I read this question at work and didn't have time to answer. I agree that a N/A engine shouldn't have enough pressure to open the valve. But I've seen ricers with a BOV and no turbo. There's also that speaker you can mount that makes the BOV noise...LOL

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TGC Regular
    bov on a non turbo ? didnt even know that was possible lol even if you could figure out some way to rig one on you wouldnt even hear it it would sound like someone blowing through a straw with the amount of pressure a stock engine pulls in as for the speaker if i ever see one im sorry ill prolly have to laugh out in the face of whoever has it i dont care how big he is......unless he's too big then ill just point and laugh at him while i leave the lot caus i know his pos wont catch mine
    - Atba

BlaqueOut
    Aight yall thanks for the news bout the BOV. I guess its just irrelevant for a N/A. I might just stick with a CAI, or forced inducter. Unless there's any other ideas. Basically I what my car to look "Clean", but still be able to get up for the occasional "waxing of ass"...within a reasonable finance situation as well (the best ass kicking for your buck). Holla Back.

Alister_McRae
    i did some math on what the "best bang for the buck." Well if you think about it, going for a turbo is much cheaper than headers exhaust and intake, if you do the math properly. Even though a turbo is around 3 grand, and headers exhaust and intake are 1 grand. The bang for the buck is much different. You gain about 40 to 50 hp from headers exhaust and intake, but your spending about $45 bucks per HP. While a turbo you can get up to 150 depending on what stage you go, you spend about $20 per HP. Might as well save your nickels and pennies for a turbo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alister_McRae)</div><div class='quotemain'>Might as well save your nickels and pennies for a turbo.</div>

so that's what I've been saving up all my change for
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

BlaqueOut
    But Alister_McRae, don't forget that some things your going to need to upgrade to anywayz. Like your exhaust. For all in intake of quick air, your gonna need something to get rid of that air quicker too. And the stock headers might be alright, but im sure anything aftermarket is better. Basically I think exhausts and the headers are basics for upgrades (everyone needs them), and the choice comes in between the intake and the turbo. I maybe wrong tho...I am just getting into this stuff. Holla Back.

Alister_McRae
    But if you go turbo, Headers are absoultly useless because a turbo uses a manifold. There is two routes, well more routes, but the two main one's that are the most popular is either headers and intake, or a turbo. Here this link will help you alot about turbo's if your intrested in going the turbo route http://www.4g64.150m.com/turbo.html . If your more of a headers person, talk to b-boy sky, he just got done putting on his headers, and high flow cat, and it shaved a second of his track times.

I still don't think you get it. Intake or turbo? Well if I had 3 grand to spend I'd say turbo. But since I only have a couple hundred I got the intake. A CAI will get you a few horses, I'm not saying anything exact cause I don't want to get flammed, but it's less than 10). Going turbo can get you, and of course this depends on setup, which depends on several variables (money, size, etc), 50, 100, 150+ HP. So if you've got the money go turbo. Check out the site for more info:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

BlaqueOut
    I think I got the idea. 3 Grand...Turbo. 200$ +Time...save for turbo.