Nice Porsche in the other lane... :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Nice!

Sounded like you're bouncing off the rev limiter between shifts...big nono
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 - "The G" - 14.62 @ 95.52

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Greek
    Sounded like you're bouncing off the rev limiter between shifts...big nono
    Sounds like it, what im doing is letting off the gas when manually shifting it into 2nd/3rd than stomping back on it when its in gear, bad for the tranny but makes the car jump off when starting the next gear that's why you hear the car rev higher.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Cool.

Nice Porsche in the other lane... :)
    It's a M series BMW that ran a 14.5 :)

It's pointless to let off the gas, the transmission is going to slide the clutches regardless if you let off during a shift or not, and flooring it's just going to piss off the transmission and burn up the clutches.

Stall It Out (Hold Brake + Gas at line) and let go off brake off line, use sportronic and you'll get the best results, use traction control if you have it as well.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    17s? mine feels like 25 secs.

who's exhaust sound was that, your's or his?

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot
    who's exhaust sound was that, your's or his?
    Mine of course :-D no cat/resonator + straight-through glasspack muffler

LEARN TO LAUNCH YOUR CAR!

Hold down the break and gas at the same time (FLOOR THE GAS, you wont spin the tires, it's not RWD) and let off the brake (while holding the gas down) on the last yellow light.

By the time you hook (which it will spin for a brief ms) you'll be on a green light and off with 2x as good launch.

You can break into 16's with this...I promise

AND DONT DO THE STUPID LIFT OFF WITH YOUR TRANNY, UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET A NEW ONE IN THE NEXT 5k MILES!

Great vid and sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Greek
    LEARN TO LAUNCH YOUR CAR!

Hold down the break and gas at the same time (FLOOR THE GAS, you wont spin the tires, it's not RWD) and let off the brake (while holding the gas down) on the last yellow light.

By the time you hook (which it will spin for a brief ms) you'll be on a green light and off with 2x as good launch.

You can break into 16's with this...I promise

AND DONT DO THE STUPID LIFT OFF WITH YOUR TRANNY, UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET A NEW ONE IN THE NEXT 5k MILES!
    Bud, I know how to launch my car, and btw torque converter stalling on the 4cyl. is worthless, you get the biggest bog down and the tires don't sqeal for shit. I've experimented with this monthes ago even before I went to the track. I get them to sqeal by just stepping on the throttle a good 1/2 down. And also torque converter stalling isn't good for the transmission either, do you know how hot the ATF gets spinning around inside the TC?

Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Great vid and sound!

Here's a video I thought i'd upload for the hell of it, kind of offtopic but still race related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZ2K3luyNo

It's my 9G vs a Toyota Matrix XRS, this has the 2ZZ Celica GTS motor in it that is also used in the Lotus Elise hehehe, he pulls on me hard in 3rd when VVTL-i kicks in, we started at a 20mph roll in 1st. Also his car is dyno'ed 190whp with full exhaust/cai and a dyno-tuned piggyback ecu setup.

Sorry about the quality, enjoy

edit: also check out my car @ https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index...mp;#entry542116

was this taken with a camcorder or a cell phone?? The person didnt realize to zoom in at all. At the end what the hell were they focusing on cuase it wasnt the galant

Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    was this taken with a camcorder or a cell phone?? The person didnt realize to zoom in at all. At the end what the hell were they focusing on cuase it wasnt the galant
    hahhahaha! that's what happens when your screen is broken, you don't know what your recording. Not bad though right?

Quote Originally Posted by gc86
    Bud, I know how to launch my car, and btw torque converter stalling on the 4cyl. is worthless, you get the biggest bog down and the tires don't sqeal for shit. I've experimented with this monthes ago even before I went to the track. I get them to sqeal by just stepping on the throttle a good 1/2 down. And also torque converter stalling isn't good for the transmission either, do you know how hot the ATF gets spinning around inside the TC?
    Listen "Bud",

You obviously don't know anything about racing...

First off, your torque converter stalls to a certain rpm for a purpose, because it is staying in the torque band longer...granted if you have a lower powered motor and a lower stall it would take a second to get back up to your power band but I'll put the title of my car on the line that on any AUTOMATIC CAR WITH A TORQUE CONVERTER that and with a good set of tires if you stall it out (Not to be confused with Neutral Dropping it) you will have a better E/T - 4cyl or not.

Second off, if you're squealing/spinning your tires then you're not accelerating...simple physics here, I want you to put on a pair of slick shoes and go run across ice and see how fast you get to the other side.

Third off, your ATF gets hotter in stop and go traffic, you have a heat exchanger built into the radiator for a reason...since I'm out of warrenty now I'm going to putting a cooler on mine because it will make the tranny run cooler than stock and make the clutches internally last longer.

And again, I'd be willing to bet my car on the fact that your ATF gets much hotter letting off and flooring it during a shift (to put it into simple term's, that's like going up to redline at WOT and slipping the clutch through) than it would be to stall your torque converter out for a second.

GRANTED...you sit there and stall your car out at every light you will burn the clutches up without an upgraded cooler.

I think your getting a little one sided, keep in mind, your V6 is much more powerful than my car. I've seen videos of V6 9Gs spinning the tires the whole 1st gear. The 4cyl does not do that, i've tryed both stalling out and just going 1/3 into the throttle, stalling is useless in this car. It just bogs like hell, you don't even any type of pull when you let go of the brake pedal. If I were to just stomp on it, the tires chirp just a bit but you launch much harder than if I were to stall it out like your telling me too. You'd agree with me if you had this car, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by gc86
    I think your getting a little one sided, keep in mind, your V6 is much more powerful than my car. I've seen videos of V6 9Gs spinning the tires the whole 1st gear. The 4cyl does not do that, i've tryed both stalling out and just going 1/3 into the throttle, stalling is useless in this car. It just bogs like hell, you don't even any type of pull when you let go of the brake pedal. If I were to just stomp on it, the tires chirp just a bit but you launch much harder than if I were to stall it out like your telling me too. You'd agree with me if you had this car, trust me.
    It does not matter...you're using the torque converter whether you flat foot it or stall it out (look at your rpm's when you flat foot it, I betcha they stop at right around 1,500 - 2,500 RPM for a brief moment)...

Again, you're not supposed to be squealing or chirping the tires, it's pointless because you're in a FWD - you want as much traction as possible.

I've actually raced an I4 Galant and then raced it against my V6...I did better than the other guy launching wise everytime...I actually beat my v6 off the line with him flat footing it and me stalling it out but when I didn't stall it out he beat me (flat foot vs flat foot).

I promise you, go to the track and race your car BOTH style's you'll be pleasently suprised when you are faster down the track...keep in mind E/T's aren't everything (those are more like penis braging rights) it's about who makes it down the track first (i.e. traction) as the last time I was at the track I beat a TT Supra that was running a 14.5 consistently but he also spun all the way through first and had a horrible reaction time (watch my video of me racing the turbo'ed Scion Tc and you'll see he starts to catch me at about 120...quarter miles over though at 93 for me).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoID=968069425

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoID=858181256

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast