The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: troubles after replacing cone filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    first of all, oy what a headache today has been..

yesterday, my K&N cone filter came and i replaced my old no name cone filter. i reset the ECU (my battery must be dying cuz i had to jump start to get back on my feet, had it unplugged for maybe 2 minutes) i let it idle for about 2 minutes and turned off the car.

now, this morning, as i'm driving to school, after the engine warms up to normal temp, it decides to dip in RPM causing me to stall everytime i come to a stop or as i'm braking sometimes too (i assume because of the engine vacuum) i had to start revving in neutral at lights to avoid stalling

here's my question: where did i go wrong? did i not reset the ECU for long enough. did i not idle long enough. did i fail because i didn't drive it around after reconnecting the battery (i assume it's this one)

i'm going to reset the ECU again later today and drive it around, and hard on the highway. thanks in advance guys

p.s. new filter compared to old cloggy no-name brand filter is great! i can feel the pull again, which went away these past few months

TGC Regular
    Let it idle for aleast 15mins after you connect back the battery then take it for a spin. The same thing happened when I changed my intake

asdkhfjladflsad im a dumbass

during the new 15 min of idling, i decided to play with the a/c control and it stalled.

here comes attempt #3. im going to reset, idle for 15, drive for 20 and then try the a/c

durr doulble post :-o

bahh no good. now im stalling after ECU reset. wtf

vacuum.. tb.. any thoughts?

edit: my next course of action is cleaning the TB.. bah.

no check engine lights??

check the connections. make sure they are good and tight. make sure the MAS is clean and the plug is in there firmly.

you still have the old filter? if so, reinstall it and see if the problem goes away.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

man.. unhooked battery and MAS plug, cleaned TB, reconnected everything. battery couldnt start the car hooked up another battery to it, started the car, stalled.

im starting to suspect the battery/alternator more than the filter itself, i wonder if it was just a coincidence that after the new filter was installed, they faulted. enough for today though. im sick of stalling :laughing:

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    no check engine lights??

check the connections. make sure they are good and tight. make sure the MAS is clean and the plug is in there firmly.

you still have the old filter? if so, reinstall it and see if the problem goes away.
    no cels.

tomorrow, i'll try again with my old filter, and if still no good, im going to try battery/alt

ugh

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i think you just need to reset longer.. unhook and let it sit for about and hour or longer. then when you hook it back up let it run longer. remember a/c off for about 15 then run the a/c after that..

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    i think you just need to reset longer.. unhook and let it sit for about and hour or longer. then when you hook it back up let it run longer. remember a/c off for about 15 then run the a/c after that..

hmm, okay i'll try that tomorrow. i'm probably going to pick up an optima red top. im sick of my battery being unable to start the car after being unplugged for maybe 5 minutes.

this is really starting to annoy me. won't be able to sleep well tonight :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by 2000GTZ
    hmm, okay i'll try that tomorrow. i'm probably going to pick up an optima red top. im sick of my battery being unable to start the car after being unplugged for maybe 5 minutes.

this is really starting to annoy me. won't be able to sleep well tonight :evil:

good luck guy.. but might not be the battery that's causing it.. do you have like an audio setup?? you might consider adding grounds too to your battery.. good luck again.

Calipso
    I agree with Milo. Let that thing sit longer, I've had simliar problems but went away when I let the car sit for 1-2 hours.

haha alright semi update (been cleaning the apartment all day, didn't do much haha):

battery is dead, can't start the car, even dome lights aren't responding..

how long could an alternator potentially last? i'd like to rule it out since getting a new one equals cash, but mine has never been replaced since the car was bought new, and its about 78,000 miles old.

everything i think of leads me to the alternator. i noticed in another thread, about "car dieing in idle", someone posted they replaced their alternator and that was it.

i guess when my roommate gets home, i'll jump start one last time, see if i can make it past 20min idling.. first few minutes trick me though, since the engine is cold and the cold idle is pretty high.. usually after that... STALL

alright, update time lol

reset the ecu all night, car will run fine now when A/C is off.

the moment i turn the A/C switch on, stall. :-(

what now?

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    I don't know about you guys cars but mine takes a while. When I installed my filter, I had took the battery cables off for about 45 minutes. Then I started it & let it idles for about 15 minutes & then I drove the HELL OUT OF IT!!! to map the ECU for aggressive driving.

alright final update..

looks like the a/c problem went away by itself

everything is a-ok again! :)

strut bar time haha

Glad everything went ok... it does sometimes take a while before your ecu is right...
    I remember it took my car like 2 hours before it was running right the first time i installed a intake and restarted the ecu... then when i swapped intakes and rested ecu the second time it seemed like it took half the time....

Quote Originally Posted by 2000GTZ
    alright final update..

looks like the a/c problem went away by itself

everything is a-ok again! :)

strut bar time haha
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

Nice. How did you solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    Nice. How did you solve the problem?
    well, after i refused to believe it was the alt because i did not want to spend cash, i unplugged the battery completely, pos and neg, let it sit overnight and then some, started the engine and let it idle for 15min.

later that night, i tried the a/c again and it didnt stall.

looks like i did not reset ecu long enough or idle long enough. just as the first post said. :o

Yep. Glad everything worked out.

good job!! nest time.. let ur car sit running for about 15 with ac off then turn on the ac after letting it run for 15.. let it run again for another 15 so ur ecu could program..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast