The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: State of the 7g Address

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 45
    Hello all,

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to have a little talk with each and everyone of you.

I just want to say i'm proud of all the advances there have been in the 7g realm over the last 2 years. Many have come, many have gone. Yet the few dedicated unwavering few of us remain.
    We do what we can, keeping our cars running strong, or in some cases just running at all.

So many of you have taken the leap to swap to five speed, although not a terribly difficult project for one with experience, all of those who have been through it as their first real mod, make me proud. And you bring a sense of pride to the 7g community.
    Later such pioneers have paved the way for other highly benificial and less challenging mods like the rear swaybar install, 5 lug conversion, rear disc conversion, and sweet performance only mod after performance only mod.

It seems however that in the face of all this progress,
    that each and every one of you stagnates in the face of the real step up.

the holy grail of the 7g...
    the dohc swap.

So many of you dream of the twin cam glory, but quiver at the thought of just a little wiring, or a bit of expense.

Didn't the 5 speed swap sound so intimidating when you first thought or read of it?

I know i was nervous as hell at my fisrt clutch replacement,
    I had zero experience with anything more challenging than a brake job.

Similar to the hesitation of jumping into a cold swimming pool, just dipping your toe in never helps you get there....

you have to dive in.
    and when i dove into my clutch job, then later my 4g63t swap,
    i wasn't any different than most of you guys.

seriously, no one in my entire family works on cars, there is ZERO automotive background in my family, i didn't have my daddy's tools to use,
    i just dove in,
    and i learned everything i know know as a result of it.

What i'm saying is so what,
    whats a little wiring?
    whats a few bolts?
    whats a few hundred dollars when it can achieve so much?

Why just sit by and watch,

the only thing that holds the galants back from any of the GS-T glory is the one less cam.
    thats it,

only one cam.

drop in a twin cam head, and enjoy all the cheap power mods you can handle... cams, cam gears, valve springs, retainers, a whole world of options.

so dive in.

Beat that glass ceiling.

Be proud to own a 7g again.

winter is coming, and so comes boredom and eventlessness in the real world. get that garage good and warm, pick up some tools and a few parts, and
    DO THE HEADSWAP.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr

We do what we can, keeping our cars running strong, or in some cases <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">just running at all</span>.
    Ahh made a section just for me!

But seriously! Everyone, get on the ball. I was in the same boat as John before my swap. If its something you really want to do, start researching. To be honest, before I did my swap, I had never changed my oil in my own car. Not that I didnt know how to as I could have figured it out, but still! Everyone starts somewhere!
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    HOORAH!!!!!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    Hello all,

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to have a little talk with each and everyone of you.

I just want to say i'm proud of all the advances there have been in the 7g realm over the last 2 years. Many have come, many have gone. Yet the few dedicated unwavering few of us remain.
    We do what we can, keeping our cars running strong, or in some cases just running at all.

So many of you have taken the leap to swap to five speed, although not a terribly difficult project for one with experience, all of those who have been through it as their first real mod, make me proud. And you bring a sense of pride to the 7g community.
    Later such pioneers have paved the way for other highly benificial and less challenging mods like the rear swaybar install, 5 lug conversion, rear disc conversion, and sweet performance only mod after performance only mod.

It seems however that in the face of all this progress,
    that each and every one of you stagnates in the face of the real step up.

the holy grail of the 7g...
    the dohc swap.
    So many of you dream of the twin cam glory, but quiver at the thought of just a little wiring, or a bit of expense.

Didn't the 5 speed swap sound so intimidating when you first thought or read of it?

I know i was nervous as hell at my fisrt clutch replacement,
    I had zero experience with anything more challenging than a brake job.

Similar to the hesitation of jumping into a cold swimming pool, just dipping your toe in never helps you get there....

you have to dive in.
    and when i dove into my clutch job, then later my 4g63t swap,
    i wasn't any different than most of you guys.

seriously, no one in my entire family works on cars, there is ZERO automotive background in my family, i didn't have my daddy's tools to use,
    i just dove in,
    and i learned everything i know know as a result of it.
    What i'm saying is so what,
    whats a little wiring?
    whats a few bolts?
    whats a few hundred dollars when it can achieve so much?

Why just sit by and watch,

the only thing that holds the galants back from any of the GS-T glory is the one less cam.
    thats it,

only one cam.

drop in a twin cam head, and enjoy all the cheap power mods you can handle... cams, cam gears, valve springs, retainers, a whole world of options.

so dive in.

Beat that glass ceiling.
    Be proud to own a 7g again.

winter is coming, and so comes boredom and eventlessness in the real world. get that garage good and warm, pick up some tools and a few parts, and
    DO THE HEADSWAP.
    <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">DOHCstunr for president '08</span>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">I'm DOHCstunr and i approve this message</span></div>

seriously, i understand where you're coming from, but i personally have to take things one at a time. Hell i'm just trying to get my friggin 5spd to work, which, by the way, is just a day away. We'll be talking a lot more about the head swap in one on one's.

Oh as far as winter is concerned, yeah, that's my busy time since i work in retail, with holidays and all. Not an excuse, but a reason.

Goal 1 = save up enough to buy a house
    Goal 2 = dohc swap

Priorities man, priorities. First I need a place to do the swap...and then I will do it for sure.

Experienced TGC Member
    My setbacks are money, no garage and the fact that my galant is my daily driver. Im supposed to be getting a Neon for a beater tomorrow. My friend is getting a junk 1g Eclipse from his father (i get what i want ;-) ) and as for a garage.. Im gonna slap up a tint some concrete and get me a karosene heater for the winter. Once im done... The galant will never be the same.... BTW... Off topic i know.. But what holds us back from using the 1g 5 speed in our cars???? The Eclipse my friend is getting is 5 speed and i get all the shit that i want so i was just wondering y it wouldnt fit....

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    But what holds us back from using the 1g 5 speed in our cars???? The Eclipse my friend is getting is 5 speed and i get all the shit that i want so i was just wondering y it wouldnt fit....
    the front roll mount bolts to the block, on our cars thefront roll mount bolts to the tranny. you'll see when you look closely at the eclipse.

Proto
    ill be the first DOHC 2.4L boosted right? ok then

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    the front roll mount bolts to the block, on our cars thefront roll mount bolts to the tranny. you'll see when you look closely at the eclipse.
    DAMNIT!!!! Oh well.. I cant be too mad seeing that the head swap will be free.. Minus headgasket and MISC stuff... But atleast id have everything there except for the tranny and gauge cluster...... Thanks for the info by the way.

john reading your topics give me chills sometimes, you tell stories very well, and inspire al lot of people, i remember when i first started to talk to you and few others on galant speed, thanx to you and myself i have done my 5 sp swap, which took me 2 days and 6 hours of sleep!!. i am getting the RPW headers and downpipe from Proto, that will have to do me for few months, dont worry as soon as i pay off my 600.00 ireland trip to visit my brother this comming december, i will be attempting to buy the 1g or 2g head ( 1g preffereble) i am not afraid of little wiring, or bolts, i just dont have any tools to work with as of yet, i am buying al lot of them soon also. and of course money is always a problem, as well as what shadow19 said that my g is a daily driver, and i dont know if you guys remember how it was here in MB when you came to the meeting, we dont have any city transportation, if i want to go to the store i use my galant, school 30 miles away use my galant, if they had buses here i would park my car and would be al lot easier. you know i am still a rookie, to engine work, but i have gotten al lot better since the meeting last summer.. i do bug you guys al lot sometimes, but you always are willing to help me out, i appreciate your help and you know who you are!!!...so i want to say by next summer, i WILL be DOHC... jake
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Im gonna frankenstien my G over the winter.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    excellent thread. it made me want to get the head out of storage and do the simplified dohc swap right now....

...but money is holding me back, as usual.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Yes, money is the root of all performance moddage. Id really like to build a new 2.4L motor, swap to AWD, and get a new turbo/fuel/engine management, Hotbits coilovers, 5-lug swap and some light 17s, but I just lack the funds......

7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Great thread once again John. :thumbsup:

I consider 7g'ers very resourceful people. Not many things are meant for the 7g's..but we have managed to find out what other platforms we can use to make the 7g's have their own unique identities.

I myself have dove into projects that seemed way too steep at first...but there are times you just have to. Usually its the best way to learn. 8-) Though its best you go into a project with some knowledge..you don't want to dive into something you have totally ZERO clue about.

Seth, Matt and some others here due suffer what most people do...&#036;&#036;&#036;. I am literally depleated in funds right now, buying a house will do that easily. Especially with some things I have to repair and/or replace, the cars just have to take a back seat. At least now I have a 2 car garage where I can work on the cars ANYTIME rain or shine.

Though I hope to be done with "Stage 2" with -G-rim by late spring early summer. Though I don't plan to rush things.....I am working on my "Masterpiece"

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Im bored at work, somebody give me something to do. ANybody have any questions? I think I am going to make a "budget" 7g 2.4L turbo parts list writeup ha.

"How to boost safely for under &#036;3k"
    7g for life!

Monster 7g on a budget, under &#036;4k. Reliable, torquey, pure power.

Motor:
    -Stock 2.4L 4g64 7bolt block: Honed and bored over 85.55mm &#036;150
    -Stock 2g turbo 8.5:1 pistons: &#036;199
    -Stock shotpeaned 1g Big rods: &#036;100
    -Engine rebuild gasket kit: &#036;159
    -Clevite main bearings and rod bearings: &#036;100
    -OEM Waterpump: &#036;130
    -Timing belt kit(Belt, pulleys, auto tensioner): &#036;220
    -ARP Headstuds, rod bolts, main studs: &#036;222
    -Stock DOHC 1g complete Head: &#036;250
    -New valve seals: &#036;23
    -Cometic 4layer headgasket: &#036;89
    -Prothane Motor mounts: &#036;89
    -Mach V throttlebody seals: &#036;11
    ---------------------------------
    Total: &#036;1653

Intake:
    -Dejon Tool intake pipe(Recirced): &#036;130
    -Filter kit with MAS adaptor: &#036;30
    -Extreme Intercoolers 2g stree kit(FMIC, piping, clamps and couplers): &#036;725
    -Stock 1g BOV: &#036;79
    Total: &#036;964

Electronics:
    -AEM UEGO Wideband: &#036;289
    -1g/2g Turbo EPROM ECU: &#036;200
    -Megasquirt v2: &#036;300
    -Autometer Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure gauges: &#036;225
    Total: &#036;1014

Fuel:
    -PTE 680CC injectors: &#036;280
    -Fuel Rail spacers: &#036;15
    -Injector Seals: &#036;10
    -Walbro 190lph: &#036;85
    Total: &#036;390

Turbo:
    -SBR Evo3 16g kit(Evo3 turbo, gaskets, feed/return lines, SBR cast manifold, J-Pipe): &#036;999
    -SBR MBC: &#036;49
    Total: &#036;1048

Exhaust:
    -2.5" Tubular o2 housing: &#036;100
    -2.5-3" Downpipe cat-eliminator: &#036;120
    -3" Cat back: &#036;400
    Total: &#036;620

Total Expenses after all is said and done: &#036;5640
    Not bad for a motor capable of 500whp. I want some money :)

Just some motivation haha. I went a bit over my &#036;4000 limit, but it could be done! THese are all new prices, Im sure eBaying and DSMTunering, you could knock the price down a lot :)
    7g for life!

phizz2k
    Well I am truly greatful for all the info that has been posted up concerning the 7g. I' have finally got the g looking respectable but now the performance of the car is getting worse if thats even possible.

I expect my tranny to go out again and instead of messing around with those autos I am going to start the manual tranny searching now. Theres a 2g turbo talon/eclipse in a local junkyard (still has the strut bar if anyones interested pm me) ) and I think iam going to get as much manual parts as possible so I can swap out the auto.

I would grab the head but somone took the covver and it looks pretty rusted out....proably could be fixed by a machine shop but I got bad luck in finding those places to do work at reasonable price.. I may take the cams though since its a turbo, do you guys think its worth it?

This thread has inspired me. I now know what major project I am doing next.
    January 2007- DOHC / Stroker crank swap for me

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phizz2k
    Well I am truly greatful for all the info that has been posted up concerning the 7g. I' have finally got the g looking respectable but now the performance of the car is getting worse if thats even possible.

I expect my tranny to go out again and instead of messing around with those autos I am going to start the manual tranny searching now. Theres a 2g turbo talon/eclipse in a local junkyard (still has the strut bar if anyones interested pm me) ) and I think iam going to get as much manual parts as possible so I can swap out the auto.

I would grab the head but somone took the covver and it looks pretty rusted out....proably could be fixed by a machine shop but I got bad luck in finding those places to do work at reasonable price.. I may take the cams though since its a turbo, do you guys think its worth it?
    I know a place in the area that will do a stock rebuild on that head for you for &#036;250. Let me know.

btw can you say turbo bitches...lol. I should be done by next week.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

My cost/performance ratio is 15.693@ 87.87 on a budget of &#036;400 while staying SOHC and automatic. Why do I need an extra cam and an extra gear again?

But hey, it's all about individuality right...I just want to point out that there are ways to go plenty fast without major overhauls or big expenditures.

(If I had it to do over again, yes I would have gone DOHC and 5 speed)
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast