The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: State of the 7g Address

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 45
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Monster 7g on a budget, under $4k. Reliable, torquey, pure power.

Motor:
    -Stock 2.4L 4g64 7bolt block: Honed and bored over 85.55mm $150
    -Stock 2g turbo 8.5:1 pistons: $199
    -Stock shotpeaned 1g Big rods: $100
    -Engine rebuild gasket kit: $159
    -Clevite main bearings and rod bearings: $100
    -OEM Waterpump: $130
    -Timing belt kit(Belt, pulleys, auto tensioner): $220
    -ARP Headstuds, rod bolts, main studs: $222
    -Stock DOHC 1g complete Head: $250
    -New valve seals: $23
    -Cometic 4layer headgasket: $89
    -Prothane Motor mounts: $89
    -Mach V throttlebody seals: $11
    ---------------------------------
    Total: $1653

Ok let's just focus on the motor for a sec. I'd like to start getting parts for this head swap, but in the process would like to build the motor to be very strong, but still streetable, when the head swap is done. The next stage after this would be boost, so i want to make sure that what i do can handle the boost. From what you've posted it looks like this is a very strong build up. anything else i should be looking at?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Really everythign there would be "up to snuff" for a reliable boosted motor. Only other thing you might consider is getting aftermarket pistons and rods(another $800). It would probably be worth building a spare block and doing a headswap on the motor out side of the car, then just pull your existing motor out and drop the built one back in as your current motor would need to be bored to fit the 2g pistons.
    7g for life!

to tell you the truth, its all in the tune.

there are guys runnign 2g 4g63 motors with stock bottom ends (or nothign more than arp headstuds and rod bolts) making 350-375 awhp and drive it every day.
    if your tun eis on point, and your tune considers the needs of a stock motor(like no terribly high egt's and not as aggressive timing) and zero knock

you can make a stock motor go a long way.

with a built motor you can tune for between 3and 10 counts of knock and make even more power, run leaner mixes, and have a higher threshold for egt's.

if i were to build a 2.4 stroker,
    i'd grab a early 90's hyundai block and build it up.
    its a 6 bolt 2.4(so all yoru 6 bolt stuff will swap over)
    along with it being a six bolt,
    comes the stronger crank, the stronger much much beefier rods, and all in all a motor ready to take abuse.
    also, witht he 6 bolt option, you will have a greater selection of lower compression pistons through wiseco.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Decided to bring this back, maybe we can motivate some of the newer members.

222whp/250wtq

The only problem here is lately I feel we have hit a cieling of sorts. We all know whats what for the 7G by now, none of us are loaded otherwise we would travel down the more exotic end of the spectrum as far as swaps are concerned. Maybe a
    6A12tt swap or a 6A12 (NA) swap. But until then what more is ther for us? I dont want to sound discouraging or that I dont love this car because that is by no means it....I just wish there was more out there for us! With that said....7G FOR LIFE! There is none better!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    2.1L Destroked 4g64, GT35R turbo, Vband wastegate/downpipe, Brian Crower 280 cams, +1mm valves, SS springs and retainers, Shepherd AWD trans, blah blah blah drool drool drool :)

What more could you want?
    7g for life!

None of the members her have gone the destroker route...except one in the making by Joe..HOPEFULLY...or the stroker. So far I have yet to see a fully built Turbo 7G with the 64 SOHC. Seems people bolt on the simple turbo setup and are fine with it. Lets take this a bit further in the years to come. Still waiting to see a fully tuned 7G GS, w/o a swapped motor.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bmore303 View Post
    None of the members her have gone the destroker route...except one in the making by Joe..HOPEFULLY...or the stroker. So far I have yet to see a fully built Turbo 7G with the 64 SOHC. Seems people bolt on the simple turbo setup and are fine with it. Lets take this a bit further in the years to come. Still waiting to see a fully tuned 7G GS, w/o a swapped motor.
    when i go awd i promise i'll go back to 4g64 dohc.

looking to make around 500 daily.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i'm staying SOHC for another 1.5 years then when i have the new car i'm going all out on the 7G

but until then i have a beast that will be running free around july/august

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    i'm staying SOHC for another 1.5 years then when i have the new car i'm going all out on the 7G

but until then i have a beast that will be running free around july/august
    Why you keep pushing back the date huh? I thought you were gonna be done by summer. :p

222whp/250wtq

I split my money for parts three ways these days: manual swap /almost have everything/, DOHC swap /have the head and the intake manifold, but I need to get my engine out to fix all my oil leaks/; turboing - have the turbo and the intercooler, and thats it. Hopefullyt all will be done by the end of the summer
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

This summer is my planned date and it remains that way. My route....run the big 16g for a while, my next upgrade will involve a set of new cams and springs to go along with something along the lines of the FP Green or slightly bigger. I'm bound to blow the auto tranny before that of course :p .
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Iver been pushing back my date to turbo the "g" due to maintaince problems and being spoiled with the evo :) I hope someday soon I will bite the bullet and buy the engine mgmt stuff and start my turbo joruney...Love the 7g!!!!
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior View Post
    Why you keep pushing back the date huh? I thought you were gonna be done by summer. :p

that's a worst case scenario, just got to play my cards right, and make sure school is set first. i only need 4 more things to go FI

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmore303 View Post
    So far I have yet to see a fully built Turbo 7G with the 64 SOHC. Seems people bolt on the simple turbo setup and are fine with it. Lets take this a bit further in the years to come.
    Its not a farfetched idea :evil:

Trust me..its all great to turbo a stock 4G64 and interested to see what it can do in stock form.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmore303
    Still waiting to see a fully tuned 7G GS, w/o a swapped motor.

Give me new pistons and rods and you'll see one. Heck, I'll even bring it to you and let you drive!

For anyone out there contemplating DOHCstunr's offer: DO IT!!! I have 2 Galants. Used to have 3. I drove my 95 S stock for 2 years before modding it any. I drove my 95 ES stock for over a year. (Gave this one to Mom.) I drove my 94 GS stock for a year. The difference in performance between the GS and the other two is stark. Even if you leave the car in it's stock form, except for the DOHC head swap, the difference in power will be huge! This difference is multiplied as you upgrade other components. My GS could hold its own even before I modified anything. Now, with a turbo, it is wickedly fast! And that's a small T25 turbo! Bottom line: BUY HIS HEAD! DO THE SWAP! You will NEVER! find another deal like this. Ever. Try this - find a 7G GS for sale. It will likely take some looking. Now try finding one that you can just buy the head of. You won't find it. His offer is for a complete package of EVERYTHING you need to swap. (It takes a lot more than just the head. In case you actually did manage to find one.) These are not pieced together parts from someone else's attempt with a 1/2G head. These came off an actual 7G GS, possibly the rarest Galant made. Put off all other mods, 5sp included, and move to DOHC. This is an awesome head, and it's not likely to see another one. I would urge everybody with a 7G to jump on this.

John: I would buy it myself in case I blow mine, but unfortunately I too have cash issues at the moment. Unless something good happens sooner, I won't have the money for 3-4 months. If it's still available then I'll take it.

7G FOR LIFE!
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

I am working on buying that swap! NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT ANYTHING FROM MY SALE! LOL But I am wanting more at this point and I like steps to see what the differences are. I went from stock auto, to auto with intake and exhaust, to 5 speed swap with intake and exhaust. Next will hopefully be the head swap and then later a turbo. We'll see how it goes!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

wow.....that was beautiful I love you guys.......
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

The coolest thing about the headswap is that it's an emmisions compliant swap.
    You pick up more power and torque across the entire powerband. and its still completely stock.
    ecu and all.

idk pretty cool i thought.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I think it's time for some of us to get back on track ... again. :twisted:

222whp/250wtq

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast