The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 Manual Swap Speedo FIX!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

even though the speedo sensor is no longer there in the 02's, the actual gauge cluster did not change so therefore the speedo gauge is still going to work off the same voltage regardless of what type of sensor is giving the increments. (mitsubishi obviously knew this that's why the change was a no biggie to do)

Run two new wires into the cabin. since your using the m/t, you splice those two wires into the speedo sensor on the tranny. the other two wires you splice into the main connector that's under the dash (it's connector C-17-look in the manual to locate it) Pins are 3 and 4.

voila! that's it. there might be an easier way without running the wires but this is what i could figure out without actually having the car in front of me but it works.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali
    even though the speedo sensor is no longer there in the 02's, the actual gauge cluster did not change so therefore the speedo gauge is still going to work off the same voltage regardless of what type of sensor is giving the increments. (mitsubishi obviously knew this that's why the change was a no biggie to do)

Run two new wires into the cabin. since your using the m/t, you splice those two wires into the speedo sensor on the tranny. the other two wires you splice into the main connector that's under the dash (it's connector C-17-look in the manual to locate it) Pins are 3 and 4.
    voila! that's it. there might be an easier way without running the wires but this is what i could figure out without actually having the car in front of me but it works.
    Yoou are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i just gotta wait until next year when i return from my deployment to do this lol.
    2004 Nissan Maxima3.5 V6 DOHC

Any luck with the CEL on Remedy's car?

Quote Originally Posted by 02galant
    Any luck with the CEL on Remedy's car?
    no actually i havent seen him much lately he doenst drive his car much for some reason....

i keep losing the codes that are thrown post them up again so i can start looking into it again.

8am tomorrow I am going to finish what I started today. Thank You!

If this clears my service engine soon light after I sauder those 3 wires to the harness I am going to owe a big thanx. Just to make sure the c-17 harness is the one closest to the center console by the floor board? I'm pretty sure myself, I had been testing this theory on paper but couldn't get myself to committ.

After your post, I ran out and put a multi-meter to the harneses and ends of those wires in the engine bay to make sure they were the right ones. Everything range out.

Quote Originally Posted by 8gV65spd
    8am tomorrow I am going to finish what I started today. Thank You!

If this clears my service engine soon light after I sauder those 3 wires to the harness I am going to owe a big thanx. Just to make sure the c-17 harness is the one closest to the center console by the floor board? I'm pretty sure myself, I had been testing this theory on paper but couldn't get myself to committ.

After your post, I ran out and put a multi-meter to the harneses and ends of those wires in the engine bay to make sure they were the right ones. Everything range out.
    this fix is only to make your speedo work it wont make your CEL go away. and yes, thats were C-17 is found.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    One small step.................Well you know the rest

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

So does this fix all of the problems with the 03 I heard some say that it will throw a cel and others that say it doesnt.
    * KYB GR-2 shocks and struts $210
    * Progress Technology lowering springs $157
    * Lowering your own car for the first time, priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by PDT1631
    So does this fix all of the problems with the 03 I heard some say that it will throw a cel and others that say it doesnt.

I'll let you know this weekend when I can finish the wiring.

theblackpearl
    my speedo still isnt hooked up..haha

so did anyone ever check if it worked out on the 03 model.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    If it works on the 02 model it will work on the 03. Same thing dude. 02-03 models are identical.

excellent, then i will proceed to order my tranny now.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    holy two year old thread revival

yeah the other way to do this is locate the speedo wires on the connector that goes to the auto tranny and send the signal thru those wires rather than running wires into the cabin. There has to be wires that go to the internal speed sensor coming off one of those connectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

ya that makes sense i'll see if the service manual is any help for that one.

Ok i tried this speedo fix and so far its not working... is there anything i have to do when connecting it to the speed sensor to the 3 and 4 wire. Which wire goes to 3 or 4 is there any combination that you have to do etc.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    process of elimination, try it both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Any hope for us guys that have to get smog tested (02-03)?

Speed Sensor Illustrations

I know this thread hasn't been used in a while, but i know many members (2002-2003) are doing the manual tranny swap who can use this thread for help with the speedo. Even though I bought a speed sensor from cali, I decided to also help out with the process with illistrations.

edit: already in the tutorial section, my bad

(Mods: i'll get actual pics of the harness and associated wires within this week for further reference.)

First, cali refers to the C-17 harness. The location of c-17 is on the left-hand side of the center console, near the accelerator pedal.

Figure-1
    Source: Galant Service Manual: 80A pages 16&17

(i'll try to take a pic of the actual harness sometime within the week)

the actual harness has 38 wire locations, pins 3 and 4 are on the upper right corner.

Figure-2

One of the other pages illustrated the connections of wires 3 & 4 from C-17 to the speed sensor. The dotted line means the wires are from the same connector (C-17).

Figure-3
    Source: 80A page 89

I'm assuming the two wires (3&4) are for signal and power, and a third on the sensor for ground. I still have yet to wire up my speed sensor to test where each of the wires go. I'll also search for the diagrams of the speed sensor itself (not the harness), as well as show pics of the sensor later on.

Big thanks to Cali for the speed sensor, will try to wire it either friday or saturday.
    Last edited by run1206; 02-04-2010 at 03:14 AM

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea I know theres gotta be an easier way, Im gonna try to use the existing wire that is already in the bay that was used for the speed sensor on the auto tranny.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast