The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Big Brake Possibility?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Big Brake Possibility?

I was wondering...why cant we use a big brake kit from some other car with the same lug pattern? We use a 4x114.3 pattern...same as the 02-03 Lancer. There are kits from Wildwood and some other companies out there...would this be feasable? If not why? I want a little more stopping power and I am sure othes do too, without having to go through the hassle of the 5 lug swap.

Look here to see what I mean http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Pages/07/index.asp Just click on Lancer

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    You can use the big brakes from the 6g gvr4. They are same bolt pattern and bolt up just fine. Make sure you get the vr-4 caliper brakets though.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

hmm...dont know why but I thought the VR4 was 5 lug. I'll check that out too!

Proto
    The calipers and brackets dont matter. Only the rotor does. You want 6G VR4 rotors and calipers from a 3000GT SL, 92-96? Diamante, or 95-99 GSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    The calipers and brackets dont matter. Only the rotor does. You want 6G VR4 rotors and calipers from a 3000GT SL, 92-96? Diamante, or 95-99 GSX.
    Well calipers matter from the stand point if you get a larger diameter rotor you will need a repositioning bracket to move it right? Stock calipers cant be used in the stock position if you have bigger rotor right.

So I could get a 6G VR4 rotor with a repositioning bracket and that would be good, or switch the calipers with one of the 3KGT or Diamante? I thought the GSX had same calipers as us?

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    Well calipers matter from the stand point if you get a larger diameter rotor you will need a repositioning bracket to move it right? Stock calipers cant be used in the stock position if you have bigger rotor right.

So I could get a 6G VR4 rotor with a repositioning bracket and that would be good, or switch the calipers with one of the 3KGT or Diamante? I thought the GSX had same calipers as us?
    GSX does since it uses a banjo bolt but it's 2 piston instead of you. If you use caliper/bracket combo from 3kGT or Diamante you will be special SS lines from RRE with a male end. DOHCstunr is uses front 6G VR4 rotors on his car.

will any rotor's from a 6g vr4 fit, or must it be from a 6gvr4 turbo model?

Also I pulled some 94 front diamante calipers a while back and compared them to a 96 galant front caliper while in the junkyard...

I switched the left to right and vice versa and noticed I could use the existing lines from the galant with screw/banjo bolt in the diamante caliper...( the only modification needed to be done is to shorten the banjo bolt screw so when placed into the caliper, theres no extra space)

What are some thoughts on the shortning of the screw/banjo bolts to fit with existing lines??
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by phizzalot
    will any rotor's from a 6g vr4 fit, or must it be from a 6gvr4 turbo model?
    If it's a real VR-4 it's a turbo

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Have to be the 6g VR4 or the 6g GSX(I assume it has the duel pots) as the rest probably have single pot calipers. I just sold this setup :(

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=56880
    7g for life!

---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yah for the AWD Turbo, but those are just blank rotors, not slotted or cross drilled. You can get the same setup I had, slotted/drilled rotors, ss lines for the duel pots, and pads for $220 + shipping from www.irotors.com
    7g for life!

if you want to gete the most out of the dual pot big brake setup,
    you are going to need the gsx master cylinder.

also, if you want a sick racing brake setup,

d2 makes a 8 pot set for the 7g for the front, and a 6 pot set for our rear brakes.
    each has two different rotor diameters to choose from, as well as an all billet aluminum caliper, and a two piece rotor(aluminum hat saves a great deal of weight), and stainless lines of course.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo