The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 v6 upshift bothering me

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    1999 GTZ....been noticing that the upshift (between 2nd and 3rd....i think) is getting a little slow. Seems like when it shifts out of 2 and into 3, it's taking a little more time than usual allowing the revs to climb a little bit during the shift. I don't know, maybe it's like 3rd gear is having a hard time grabbing on, maybe. Ya'll know what this is? sorry if it's a duplicate post.....

AstroStrat89
    Check your fluid yet?

You have to check it hot, while the engine is running and in neutral. I found its better let it set for about 10 minutes after driving then start it back up, shift into all the gears ending in neutral. (apply the parking break) check the dipstick and make sure its full and the fluid is a nice clear red color. if it's brown and smells burnt then get it changed.

From what I read these trannys are pretty sensitive and need to be well maintained. Also read that they are one of the better trannys when it comes to smooth shifting and performance.

I had and still have a little of that problem.

You can try lucas tranny help or just have your fluid changed and the problem should be solved
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Quote Originally Posted by SLS2000
    I had and still have a little of that problem.

You can try lucas tranny help or just have your fluid changed and the problem should be solved
    x2. it definitely helps. i still have a little bit of shift flare and rough gear problems.

oh, and welcome to the problem tranny club.

since so many people have said it to me.... can i be the first one to say - 5sp swap! ;)

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I actually I get vibration when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. But it only happens if I'm accelarating slowly.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

if what you are getting is vibration, I say its ur tranny mounts. check those before going with tranny flush. usually ur mounts are the ones to make ur g vibrate like if it was a washer machine. at least thats what mine was doin! Good luck n keep us posted
    [/quote]Ahh Yes we got to ride in StylEZZZ[quote]!

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Our auto's good for performance, was that a joke. Nausiatingly smooth shifts yeah, but the V6 trannys probably wont hold up to the 4cyl. Since I run the piss out of mine, my second tranny has alot of cold shift flare, wont go into gear until temp guage is at the bottom mark, and is pretty much falling apart.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Hey, this is the same exact problem i have now(just didnt have the wordings) since I changed my trans fluid. It takes a few seconds for the next gear to engage.

I pretty much beat the shit out of my car on a regular basis. I take it to red line at least twice every ride I take, and I also love to go to full throttle coming out of the apex of a nice turn, or six. As long as you change the fluid and don't neutral drop the thing, you shouldn't have any problems with it lasting. After I reset the ECU, the car does shit like shit, up shifting at terrible times, not shifting quick enough until it relearns my driving style.

I never shift it through the gears manually with the selector, and I always let the car warm up before I go ripping all over the place. Our cars do some strange things until the fluids are warmed up. I have about 85,000 miles on my car, with not so much as a blink of an eye from the tranny.

If you are really worried about it, go get yourself a B&M transmission cooler and an oil stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrs2
    I pretty much beat the shit out of my car on a regular basis. I take it to red line at least twice every ride I take, and I also love to go to full throttle coming out of the apex of a nice turn, or six. As long as you change the fluid and don't neutral drop the thing, you shouldn't have any problems with it lasting. After I reset the ECU, the car does shit like shit, up shifting at terrible times, not shifting quick enough until it relearns my driving style.

I never shift it through the gears manually with the selector, and I always let the car warm up before I go ripping all over the place. Our cars do some strange things until the fluids are warmed up. I have about 85,000 miles on my car, with not so much as a blink of an eye from the tranny.

If you are really worried about it, go get yourself a B&M transmission cooler and an oil stat.
    Thats suprising, after a year of autocrossing with mine, it has had it. I hold the car in 2nd so it wont shift past that, and the tranny just doesnt have it.

If you rebuild the tranny, cryo-treat every part and get yourself a HSTC and a good tranny cooler, and oil stat. With that you would be solid.

Keeping the car in 2nd, that may be causing excess heat. You may want te get an oil cooler if you stay auto.

If you go 5-speed swap, well pretty much just do that with a good flywheel/clutch and you should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrs2
    If you rebuild the tranny, cryo-treat every part and get yourself a HSTC and a good tranny cooler, and oil stat. With that you would be solid.

Keeping the car in 2nd, that may be causing excess heat. You may want te get an oil cooler if you stay auto.

If you go 5-speed swap, well pretty much just do that with a good flywheel/clutch and you should be alright.
    I'm gonna go with a 5spd swap because the tranny takes too long to downshift, and I'm losing serious time with the tranny lag. Its had a tranny cooler on it since the beginning of this season, I mounted it behind my foglight so I can take that out, I also use my water sprayer for my tires on the cooler as well between runs. Also between runs I let it idle in neutral to let the fluid circulate through the cooler. I honestly dont think there is any potential for this automatic so I'm gonna go 5spd as soon as its gone.