The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G vs BMW 318??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23
    well my friend has his bmw and wants to race me since he's always telling me to get a real car.....as you guys know, i swaped tranny to 5spd and i started working on suspention.....i rode in his car and it's not a bad car, i think i might have a chance.....the only thing that scares me is the fact the the 7G cant speed shift from 1st to 2nd like other cars.....when he went from 1st to 2nd in the 318 it went smoothly without any lag....i hope that i have enought engine to power him over without forcing the speed shift...

mod list

97 Galant ES:
    5spd swaped (nicely tuned peddals and shifter)
    Fidanza Flywheel (8lbs i think)
    ACT 2100 clutch kit
    SS Braided clutch line
    AGX setup with stock springs
    rear gst spyder sway bars
    4.5' CAI
    stock piping to aftermarket muffler
    shifter bushing mod
    semi-short shifter (cut shifter)
    sound system
    ......everything else is stock(other than miss-matching pain color :-( )

318 BMW
    5spd
    not turbo for sure
    sound system

well what do you guys think? should i try to race him? is there anyway to get around the 7G's tranny gear lag? or am i just going to get RAPED :?

thanks
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

If you are going to race him , i suggest taking out you sound system. taking out extra weight makes a big diffrence. take the race anyway....... it'll be fun just to see what happens!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I didnt realize the 4cyl BMWs were that under powered ha!

96 318ci 2976lbs
    138hp 133ftlbs(ouch)
    0-60: 9.9 seconds(double ouch)

97 Galant 2777lbs
    141hp 148ftlbs
    0-60: 9.8 seconds(Auto)

I say he doesnt have a chance. You are 200lbs lighter and faster then the stock numbers since your 5spd.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, should be a 7G victory if all goes well
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I didnt realize the 4cyl BMWs were that under powered ha!

96 318ci 2976lbs
    138hp 133ftlbs(ouch)
    0-60: 9.9 seconds(double ouch)

97 Galant 2777lbs
    141hp 148ftlbs
    0-60: 9.8 seconds(Auto)

I say he doesnt have a chance. You are 200lbs lighter and faster then the stock numbers since your 5spd.
    i was wondering how much weight i reduced going to 5sp, that MF'in auto trannt and torque converter are HEAVY. plus you can loose the cooler and all lines too.

All i have to say is my G is faaaaarrrrrr more responsive in the power than it was before. i think putting that rear roll mount bolt back in helps too

I think yopu should be able to get him. as far as 1st to 2nd, i know what you're talking about, but i find that somwhere between the clutch fully down and starting to grip it lets the shift go in... so try it fast, but also make it a quicker pedal action... that and the shift has to be in just the right position.

Yah first to second or any gear into first/second you really have to make sure you are pushing the shifter all the way to the left for the best shifts.

When downshifting, make sure to rev match before you put it into the gear.
    7g for life!

thanks for the hints......the race is scheduled this sunday......we found this straight leveled farm raod that no body uses.....

i ust agree about the response that the car makes after the swap....it's so nice!!

can you guys tell me what i have to do to get the best shifts??? how do you guys do it??
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

There's an old saying:

"The man who has the most disregard for his clutch is the winner!"

Don't worry about being hard on it, it's new since you just swapped trannies and you're not racing this thing daily.

Don't think about the shifting, think about the driving. Make sure if you start side-by-side you get in front of him as soon as possible so you don't have to worry about on-coming traffic!

That's about all I can think of. My only "race" was from a rolling stop in my friend's 240sx. (Hahaha, we kept up with a 99 Civic that had teh VTECK YO!) So I don't have much experience in this field, per se.

Okay, I'm done! :laughing:
    1996 Galant S

you'll stomp him, bmw's are more for cornering when they only have the 4cyl.. dont circuit race him lol.. you should have him easy.
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

Quote Originally Posted by da1085
    thanks for the hints......the race is scheduled this sunday......we found this straight leveled farm raod that no body uses.....

i ust agree about the response that the car makes after the swap....it's so nice!!

can you guys tell me what i have to do to get the best shifts??? how do you guys do it??
    You should see about getting a B&M replica short shifter before the race! Makes shifting 100 times better!
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    You should see about getting a B&M replica short shifter before the race! Makes shifting 100 times better!

I would love to get a short shifter but am worried about sites and them fitting properly. where could i find this B&M ( a reliable site ) and how much do they go for?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

so what happened.. did you guys race yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    I would love to get a short shifter but am worried about sites and them fitting properly. where could i find this B&M ( a reliable site ) and how much do they go for?
    They are so cheap, even a person without a job can afford them!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98...036836543QQrdZ1

ANything for a 2g that has that design. Its an exact copy of the B&M short shifter.
    7g for life!

well guys............

I WON!!!!!

we did best out of five......all from a stand still start.

1st pass:lost
    i didnt go all out. on my every shift i let the gear fall into place before give it all the gas....
    1st gear: he got 1/2 car on me
    2nd gear: im on his rear door
    3rd gear: i started on his rear bumper but before i had to go to my next gear i gained on him since i am at his rear door again
    4rth gear: preaty much stayed the same...
    on this pass, i made sure that i was going to be able to stay in gear and not miss shifts....but then i was angered that i lost.....

2nd pass:won
    i try to shift as fast as the car could.....i was kicking the clutch on my shifts and it worked.
    1st gear: tires screached since i was reving my car around 2K then floor the hell out it. we were preaty much even since he took off but i cought him before i got to my redline
    2nd gear: after i shifted, his bumper is on the back part of the front door. my car jumped forward after my shift. by the time i got to my 4.5K rpm his front bumper is on my side mirror.
    3rd gear: my car did a light jump after my shift,i was telling my self not to let off and ride it out since i have won this pass considering that i was able to keep up with him when i wasn't pushing my car to max.
    4th gear: well as you guys already know 4th gear on this race is point less since we are racing on a public farm road, but his bumper is on my rear bumper thanks to the mitsu 3rd gear.

3rd pass:won
    well this one, he fucked up shifting. i got half way 2nd and i look behind me and i see him on my rear view mirror
    1st gear:i did the same take off i think my car might be liking it :-) . i got a good start since he initialy started the race with his front on my front doors.
    2nd gear: i did a nice smooth quick shift and then i lost him on my view. i look at my rear view mirror and sees him way back....i decided not to keep going since i know i've won.
    he even said it too :-D i replied "yeah i know, but you want to go one more time?" i knew he was only reffering to that race but i now know that i have a nice 7G kill in the making.

4th pass:won (raped)
    1st gear: i try to do the same nice launch i did on the 3rd one and i think i manged to do it since he was on my front door (again). i starte with my clutch barly dissengaged. knowing this i knew that i can just floor it anf slip the clutch in to avoid a long peal out.
    2nd gear: i kicked the pedal down and shifted with it. my car jumped and the tires screached....it's so nice being able to do it :-D but joking aside, his front bumper is on my rear tires...
    3rd gear: i did the same motion of shifting. my car sounded so nice screaming at him. i slowly pulled from him. i had the bigest smile on my face from driving my car. i looked back and saw him back there. i've pulled from him by a good distance. he is a good half a car length in back of me.
    4th gear:i just cruised since i knew he wasn't going to gain on me

we met up on my dorm and chat....i told him that it was a good race...he said that he now has a new found respect on my car....i said this to him "yeah, well it's kinda hard to respect a car with 5 different color on the outside....but once your ass get beat by it, it's also hard to bealive that such a slow car beat your infamus beamer"...i think he got mad since he sorta left my room in a hurry....for the past month he has been giving e crap about my car...he kept mentioning how he'll beat me on his car.....well now i know what a 7G 5spd swaped car with peano's list on internal tranny set up can do(but i have the fidanza light flywheel, 8lbs i think).....the car has so much response.......this was a good race......

97 7G vs 96 BMW 318
    7G WINS

6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

Good job! We knew you (I mean you and your car) had it in you!

To think, people on the other Mitsu forums frown on these cars. Well screw them!
    1996 Galant S

Good Job, though I'm not surprised consider what kind of BMW it was.

Keep it up! Galants for Life!

Woo! Woo! woo! woo! Woo! "If you're gonna be a bear... BE A GRIZZLY!!!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!!!"

well done da1085 !!
    inspiring sutff!!

now to find me some civics/318s hehehe.

i raced a v6 camaro (auto)once and almost had him, ha there was a post about it here somewhere a while ago, i was on his bumper and he was pulling away from me ever so slowly ha!
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

Quote Originally Posted by RoOkS
    well done da1085 !!
    inspiring sutff!!

now to find me some civics/318s hehehe.
    are you saying that civics and 318 are equivalent?? i would think that the bmw would win if it was raced againts a civic......hmmmm, or maybe that was a sarcastic remark....
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast