The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do I set my ignition timing

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Ok, I know I have to ground the timing control wire but I don't know wich one it is on my car. I have 3 wired under my hood that arent hooked up to anything and I started grounding them out one at a time.

The first one by the capacitor around the FRP made the car stall out whan I grounded it

The second one up near the firewall by the big ground junction screw fried my ignition switch fuse

And I didnt dare to try the third one....

I don't know wich wire to ground...

Any help would be great
    If there isn't a Z or an X in the cars name I don't want it!

1983 Datsun 280ZX
    1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant GS-X

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Go to Engine, theres a "tutorial" on how to adjust hte base timing there.
    7g for life!

Oh nice, thanks a million. Also the car is smoking really really bad. I know the gas is old and nasty and there was water in the tank when I changed the pump, could this be causing the smoke, it kinda smells like oil but the level never ever drops.

1983 Datsun 280ZX
    1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo

markgti
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineGSX
    Oh nice, thanks a million. Also the car is smoking really really bad. I know the gas is old and nasty and there was water in the tank when I changed the pump, could this be causing the smoke, it kinda smells like oil but the level never ever drops.
    smoke can be caused by many things. if it smells like its burning oil, it could be worn out valve seals. it could also be your piston rings. try doing a compression test, more or less you'd have an idea how helthy your engine is. check your plugs too. i guess thats the easiest and cheapest way to check how things are under your hood. if theyre fouled with oil, then you'd need an overhaul. does your car have a hard time starting?

No it starts like a champ and its running great now that I got the fuel pump problem sorted out but thats when the smoke started, when it was running like crap with the bad fuel pump it didnt smoke one bit so I am thinking its the bad fuel. I literally dumped rusty water out of the fuel pump when I pulled it from the tank so I'm hoping that I can run the tank dry and put some fresh fuel in it and see if it changes. When I pulled the old plugs out before I started tuning it up they looked fine, a little lean but no oil of deposits.

1983 Datsun 280ZX
    1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If the gas is that bad, it may be worth just dropping the tank and either replacing it completely or at least clean the old gas out. Or maybe just try a fuel stabilizer. My car sat for 1 year without running at all, and about 1/4 tank of gas. I topped the tank off with good gas, ran some fuel stabilizer in it and it ran perfectly fine. But if theres rust in the fuel pump, then the bottum of the tank surely has more rust and eventually will cause a problem.
    7g for life!