The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Teaser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

Mitsubishi TD04 15G off of a Volvo 850R. got it off my buddy. no shaft play. in perfect condition. I'm gunna make a custom turbo header for it. I'm just collecting and gathering parts for my kit. wont be boosted til late next year. still gotta swap 5-speed, build the block, and get a evo cylinder head. He gave it to me for free so I jumped on it.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

:thumbsup: sweet, looks good, can't wait
    lasthopeskrispy (9:45:12 PM): what would a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate?
    SkylineGTR7865 (9:45:36 PM): idk what
    lasthopeskrispy (9:45:47 PM): fuck if i know

Virginia (If I showed you where I live, you would think I was hiding)
    Sweet deal! That saves a lot of money for your turbo project. Why isn't it gonna be finished until late?

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

Based on your SN, is this going on a 4g63? You may end up wanting to go bigger than that, which will suck after going through the trouble of making a custom header/manifold.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I agree with Mr. Steve! It will limit your options, unless Volvo has a lot of upgrades. If it is a standard Mitsu CHRA, then alls you would have to do is change the exhaust housing from the Volvo pattern to a Mitsu housing and it would bolt up to any Mitsu manifold.

In that pic the center cartridge is fastened down with a v-band clamp like most standard Mitsu turbos. For what its worth, Id strongly recommend not using the Volvo exhaust housing as you coudl get a 7cm^2 Mitsu exhaust housing for under $100. From the sounds of things, if you are wanting to do a headswap, build the block, you will want to eventually upgrade, would just make things easier with a Mitsu housing. You wouldnt be stuck with a $400 custom exhaust manifold that would only work on Volvo pattern turbos.
    7g for life!

^ Exactly what I was getting at, thanks for putting it plainly. :-D

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I agree with Mr. Steve! It will limit your options, unless Volvo has a lot of upgrades. If it is a standard Mitsu CHRA, then alls you would have to do is change the exhaust housing from the Volvo pattern to a Mitsu housing and it would bolt up to any Mitsu manifold.

In that pic the center cartridge is fastened down with a v-band clamp like most standard Mitsu turbos. For what its worth, Id strongly recommend not using the Volvo exhaust housing as you coudl get a 7cm^2 Mitsu exhaust housing for under $100. From the sounds of things, if you are wanting to do a headswap, build the block, you will want to eventually upgrade, would just make things easier with a Mitsu housing. You wouldnt be stuck with a $400 custom exhaust manifold that would only work on Volvo pattern turbos.
    Agreed! You are better off selling that turbo and finding yourself a MHI turbo...your options will be endless and not to mention saving your money which could go to more useful mods. You are better off selling that turbo IMO.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by steveVR4
    Based on your SN, is this going on a 4g63? You may end up wanting to go bigger than that, which will suck after going through the trouble of making a custom header/manifold.
    well, it will be going on a Frankenstein 4G64 with the EVO head swap.

Well, I was just gunna weld a custom manifold together. But as you bring this to my attention. where would I find the Mitsu housing?? My buddy did tell me that the exhaust housing and turbo housing can be taken apart. My plan was to use this turbo while I save up for a GT42R. I was just gunna make a turbo header my self. I was going to take an evo flange and go off from there and make my own bracket to weld onto the manifold to match the volvo housing, and a custom downpipe to match the volvo exhaust housing. It makes sense in my head. but where would I source the mitsu housing?? and what should I look for? I dunt want to sell this cuz its in damn good condition. and I know how to weld so its just a matter of fabricating parts to adapt for it. I wont be starting this project since I wont get my license back til march, manual swap, then I gatta find a decent job to save up to build the block and get the evo head. then down the line Imma switch to a Garret GT42R. I got my plans all sorted out just a matter of making it happen. so feedback fellas.. I need feedback and all help is appreciated. except i would really likt to stick with this turbo just cuz I already have it.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Yes you can remove the turbine housing and replace it. Try ebay and DSM boards. Look for an uncracked 14b or 16g exhaust housing.

Id try to get a 7cm^2 Big16g or Evo3 16g housing, just cause its bigger. The housing comes off very easily. Theres the v-band in the middle there, just unbolt it, tap the housing a few times(not the cartridge) and the exhaust housing will just fall off.

Bullseyepower makes an aftermarket Mitsu turbinehousine housing which has its ups and downs. It slows great but I think they still use a cir-clip instead of the v-band clamp, and the manifold bolts like to break off in the housing.

Building a custom downpipe and custom tubular exhaust manifold just for the Volvo 15g doesnt make sense. Why do all the work just to have to do it all over again when you upgrade turbos? Eh Idk, if your going with a GT42R, that would be a Garret t3/t4 flange right? Youd still have to redo your work even if you use a Mitsu housing hah.

That comes to another point. Why do you want to go with a GT42R anyway? That sucker is huge! When I say huge, it support 1100hp! Theres no way on earth(with your budget) you will see half of its potential. Now with that said, you should go with a GT30R or GT35R, both of which you will never max out. GT42R is just redicuouls on a non-drag car.
    7g for life!

I'm just going to find a mitsu housing and replace the volvo housing. I will definitely use this turbo until I upgrade to something better. Now, that seth said it, I wont be using the GT42R. We'll see where it goes. Ill just use this turbo to start with. then when it comes to upgrade.. ill upgrade. I don't really have a budget... I mean I will work and pay for all my parts but I dunt have a limit.. Ill spend and spend until i think my car is perfect. Don't matter if it takes me 6 months or 6 years.. I wont stop til I see perfection... Thx for the feedback fellas.

Good choice. Would be smarter to go with a Mitsu housing now and just upgrade to a hybrid Mitsu/Garret turbo so your custom fabrication wont be going to waste.

The GT series turbos are nice and are definitely capable of making nice power, but theres a lot of hybrid Mitsu exhaust housed turbos with Garret center sections that will do the job just as good and maybe more efficiently.
    7g for life!

will something like this work?

EVO 3 16G housing

That comes to another point. Why do you want to go with a GT42R anyway? That sucker is huge! When I say huge, it support 1100hp! Theres no way on earth(with your budget) you will see half of its potential. Now with that said, you should go with a GT30R or GT35R, both of which you will never max out. GT42R is just redicuouls on a non-drag car.
    i was gonna say! a gt42r is ridiculously huge as it is, imagine on a fwd car for daily driving (im assuming this is still gonna be your daily driver) can you say MAJOR lag?

ditch that turbo and find yourself a used 16g. if you find yourself still wanting more power, then go with a 50 trim. (i'd still recommend doing all suporting mods first before upgrading your turbo ie. cams, etc.)
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

well, for a while it will be my daily driver also. but after boost the car will be for weekend and strip only. Im planning to gut the back and install a roll cage after i break the 12 second barrier. Im gunna get another galant for a daily. the reason why i dunt want to ditch the volvo snail is because i already have it and i got it for free. if i didnt have it yet i would do otherwise. so im going to swap the exhaust housing and make use of this turbo to start with. I will upgrade in the future not the GT42R but maybe a GT30R.

I found this on ebay and was wondering if it would work???

flange adapter

Is the volvo housing a T3? :-?

not sure, hmm... i dunno i guess ill just change the housing...

here you go: evo VIII turbo with 20k miles for $150:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=228624
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast