The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed conversion questions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Meh Ive been using a stock Exedy clutch for 10k miles now. If it holds my power, it will do perfectly fine on a stock motor!
    7g for life!

looks good man keep it up I just sold a m/t so I have to get another so my progress has been road blocked

8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

I also used the writeup to do my 5 speed swap. Only thing I did it on a 94 Mitsubishi Expo (the mini van/station wagon looking thing) instead of a Galant. The process was mostly the same except I had to pull the entire dash to swap my brake pedal over. The Expo's brake master cylinder is on the passenger side and a long rod runs all the way over to the drivers side where the pedal is. I even had to pull the heater core. Still no big deal though as that only set me back a few hours. These cars are very similar to the Galants, they use the 4G64 and their auto trannies are notorious for going bad at the 100k mark too. I would just like to say thanks to whoever did the writeup, I honestly couldn't have done the swap without it.

Post pics of your Expo! Sounds like a fun ride
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Post pics of your Expo! Sounds like a fun ride
    I tried to on my last post but they were too big. Anyone care to add them for me if I email them?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    nice on the expo.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Here is a pic. It's actully badged a Plymouth Colt Vista, not an Expo but they are the exact same. I also put on some 91 Galant VR4 wheels.

phizz2k
    oKI can't get it to start... I need to know hich wires to cross. I get power, lightsand everything but I duno why it will not start?

Here's a pic of the switch...

blurry but u get the idea....

lol that picture is impossible! You need to cross the two wires on the ECU side, not the connector side. The colors will depend on your year, follow peanos tutorial if you have a 94-96, if you have a 97/98 I think its a black/red stripe and black/blue stripe wire. Either way they are two thick wires, mine were in the middle of the connector on either side.
    7g for life!

Mine is 1996,it's the only 2 black wire that goes to the biggest plug on the tranny

phizz2k
    Ya that picture is pretty bad, I was in a panic when I took it . But yea mine is a 1997 and I had the blk/yellow thick wire crossed with the thin blk/yellow wire like in the pic with the 5 speed swap tutorial.

Its suppose to be blk/yellow thick wire with blk/blue thick wire. Anyways I got it running and the gears were pretty difficult to get into so my friends and I adjusted the mastercylinder and It started to go into gear real easy... We also blead the hydraluic line in each gear to helpout.

The cable lines were also a bit of mystery because I couldn't get it in reverse but after flipping the lines and playing with them,we were able to get it working.

Finnally after charging up the battery, we took it out for a ride round the neighborhood. I was being really easy on it but it the drive is completly different from the auto. My auto was worse than most so the change proably felt more dramatic than others.... It almost feels like iam in another car....

Anyways Iam glad about the change... and I think I will give it a flush at the end of the week and take it for a real test :firedevil: .

Sweet! Make sure you let the clutch break in properly, at least 500 miles of easy driving.
    7g for life!

count on bleeding that clutch again.
    since your clutch line was completely empty when you installed it, its nearly impossible to get all the air out on the firt try.
    i'd plan on bleeding at least a whole bottle of some good stuff in before you get allt he bubbles out.
    the thing is that the bubbles get stirred up when you bleed and can become so tiny that they won't bleed out.
    it takes a couple daqys for the bubbles to collect together to a few large bubbles.
    then they come right out.

on a cold trans thats been sitting for a while, it probably will be difficult to get it into gear. especially if your clutch isn't setup perfect.
    but whatever you do dont' force the shifter into gear.
    let the trans do the work.
    hold the shiftknob like you'd hold an egg. soft but assertive.
    a lot of peopel drive a mitsu tranny how they think a manual tranny shoudl work.
    but the thing is you have to work with the tranny and learn the tranny before you try to beat on it.
    the tranny isn't junk because it won't let you into gear; you are doing somethign wrong, so it won't let you. wether it be somethign is out of adjsutment, or you just aren't doing things right(or at the right time)

learning yoru tranny means learning precisely how and when you can do what.
    if you keep that in mind as you learn it, you won't break the tranny in to you; you'll break yourself into the tranny, and thats the way you want to be cause you don't want to be chewing up syncro's.

congrats!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12