The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Remote starter.....

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Calipso
    Okay, we all know you aren't supposed to install a remote starter on a 5-speed. Simply because of the ability of the car walking away when you start it. (haha).

So hypothetically, have a strong/new ebrake and ALWAYS leave it in netrual would the remote start function still work? (Bare with me, I know it sounds silly.)

I know you have to clutch to engage the engine, but would a remote starter actually work if the car war in netrual? I always wondered about this, and I know countrylvr should chime in.

Well after doing a swap i didn't want a clutch safety switch so i still have my remote starter and i left my car in gear once allready. As long as you are carefull and don't leave in gear you should be ok. Otherwise last i heard it was federally illigal to have that.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    YA, its simple, just remove your Neautral Safety switch and that it. But ya dont leave the car in gear if you gonna do that.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099
    Well after doing a swap i didn't want a clutch safety switch so i still have my remote starter and i left my car in gear once allready. As long as you are carefull and don't leave in gear you should be ok. Otherwise last i heard it was federally illigal to have that.
    So supposedly it's against the law to have that? I'd hate to see what other laws there are.

i don't think it's illegal, maybe aftermarket... my buddy at work has a new mustang 5sp with remote start from the factory... if he leaves it in gear it disables the remote starter...

My Galant already has the clutch bypass to start it, and i have a viper remote starter alarm ready to go in it. Im going to go to a small shop to see if they hook up the remote start part to it.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

If you're worried able the legalities of putting an r/s in a manual tranny car, you can get rigs designed for manual transmission cars. I know compustar makes a couple different models.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

Calipso
    Well, the reason for this thread is. I'm seriously thinking about attempting a 5-speed swap in mid-07. I'm almost done with my car payments and my auto-tranny isn't feeling too well. I'm in park, I slowly shift into drive and it shifts HARD.

I don't beat on the tranny or do stupid n-drops, and I keep the fluid fresh and maintained. I am just coming up on 91k and I don't know if my tranny will last another year or two.

In addition to thinking about the swap, I'm wanting to put in a Viper 791XV in for my alarm. Now most shops around here have no problem with the alarm, but they refuse to drop in the wiring for the remote start on a 5-speed. I have never heard of a clutch bypass for a remote starter, can someone give me some additonal info or personal experience?

damn, i was g0oing to post a link to a "ho-to
    but there is a perfectly safe way to do it.
    its jsut a magnetic sensor(works similarly to how crank position sensors work) that sits on your shifter plate, and another on the shift lever itself.
    when the car is in neatral there is a magnetic attraction, and it closes the circuit and your starter circuit is interrupted.
    therefor you cannot start it while the car is in any gear other than neutreal.

its quitre common and as i said, pefectly safe.
    you are going to have to search to find it though, cause the link that all the dsm guys use is down.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Calipso
    Thanks for the info, I'm slowly finding parts around the Northeast for a swap. Now all I gotta do is buy them.

On manual cars from the factory its a saftey feature that you can not turn on the car with out pressing the clutch in, like in my saturn if i turn the key to start nothing will happen till i push the clutch in then it'll start.

But it appears one of the previous owners of my galant disconnected that feature probably cause they were afraid that with the harder aftermarket clutch and start up that it would be part the roumer that it causes Crankwalk.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

Calipso
    Good stuff to know, my tranny has been tempermental lately and you figure how much it costs to replace/fix/install an auto tranny.....I may as well go 5-speed.

I'm pretty much doing the pvu_rida deal. Getting ready to pay off the Galant and all of a sudden something serious happens to it.