The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Freeway Stall!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41
    So Im on my way to work today and traffic is actually moving on the 405 and Im goin about 70 when all of a sudden my car jerks and I let go of the gas. So i press the gas again to get going but I get no response so i decide to maybe shift it into a lower gear to see if the tranny picks up but nothing and I notice the car is just coasting and ive lost all power. The power steering is out and the brakes are hard. I manage to get in the shoulder which is ending ahead and barely stop the car using the e-brake before hitting a "Shoulder Closed" sign. I decide to try to turn off the car and start it again, but I get nothin, only a crank but it doesnt turn over. I then smell somethin burnt. I ended up callin AAA to get towed to a local shop and they dont have time to look at it today, but I think it may be the coils. They were thinkin the same but havent gotten into it. Any ideas????? Ill keep yall posted on what happens though.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Timing belt?
    How is the mileage on your g? and have you change the belts before?

sounds similar to what happened when i snapped my timing belt. pray its not that.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Damn, the 405! Couldn't happen at a more crowded fwy. Happened to me on the fwy but my problem was the clutches in the tranny and it definitely was not those symptoms you're exhibiting. I can still crank over so it definitely sounds like the belt. Good luck and hopefully there's no internal damage.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yup sounds like a timing belt. Whats the mileage on the car? Whens the last time the belt was changed?
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya we all know how it feels when the belt goes, and with your luck you bent all 16 valves. eyyyyyeeeeee

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Damn. I got to get mine changed soon.

SHIT!!! I hope its not the belt. It has about 157000 miles and I think last time it was changed was at 120k. All my maintenance paperwork is in the car. But im sure it was around 120k. Damn now im really worried. I guess Ill find out more tomorrow! :?

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Man PUV & now you. Man I've got to get my belt changed. Hope thats not the problem.

Well I guess you guys were right. I got a call back today and they said the timing belt did snap!!!! They're not sure if there is any damage to the internals but they said they will need to do the timing belt change and if I want to I should do the cam & crank seal maintenance and change the water pump....of course thatll cost more but its optional. They said after they do that then theyd need to do a compression test to see if there is any internal damage. So what do u guys think about the extra maintenance items? Should I do that as well. I havent gotten a call back on prices yet but how much should I expect to see? This really sucks!!!! Im really worried too cuz I was on the freeway when it happened!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

They're sayin its gonna be &#036;475 for timing belt and labor as well as 2 rollers that come with the kit. But if I do the other maintenance including water pump crank & cam seals itd be more like &#036;975. What do u guys think of those prices? reasonable? Thats also if they dont find any internal problems. Should i try to get the other work done as well?

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

What do u guys think of the price? I dont plan on gettin rid of it so I think imma go ahead and do it all. Might as well. I really hope there isnt any internal damage!!!

There goes my paint job

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

if the belt is broken, there IS engine damage.
    no way around it.
    putting a belt/water pump/ etc on it now would be a waste of money, 'cause its not going to have compression in one or more cylinders.

damn, pvu first and now this. it isnt a good time for a black g
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    if the belt is broken, there IS engine damage.
    no way around it.
    putting a belt/water pump/ etc on it now would be a waste of money, 'cause its not going to have compression in one or more cylinders.
    What do u suggest I do? Should i cut it as a loss?

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Hey Man - Im sorry to hear that.

Give the Union Mitsubishi guys a call - 323-735-5555. They were the cheapest of 7 dealers I called in the LA area to find out about timing belt change (I think it came out at about &#036;390). They are on 3267 West Olympic (x w/Western).

Sorry I cant help anymore than that (and its reminding me that I gotta go take care of mine !)
    Just living another day in the universe !

when i broke mine my mechanic gave me a few options.

a. change the timing belt, water pump etc and pray there's no damage. but like manybrews says, chances are there is damage.

b. find a used engine

c. buy a remanufactured engine

d. scrap the car

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangoman
    Hey Man - Im sorry to hear that.

Give the Union Mitsubishi guys a call - 323-735-5555. They were the cheapest of 7 dealers I called in the LA area to find out about timing belt change (I think it came out at about &#036;390). They are on 3267 West Olympic (x w/Western).

Sorry I cant help anymore than that (and its reminding me that I gotta go take care of mine !)
    Thanks. Well I already gave em the go ahead and the car is already kinda stuck there. But good lookin out on that! I guess we'll see what else is wrong with it....hopefully not much.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    when i broke mine my mechanic gave me a few options.

a. change the timing belt, water pump etc and pray there's no damage. but like manybrews says, chances are there is damage.

b. find a used engine

c. buy a remanufactured engine

d. scrap the car
    Which did u do? Im guessing not D.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Quote Originally Posted by ChuloMxcn
    Thanks. Well I already gave em the go ahead and the car is already kinda stuck there. But good lookin out on that! I guess we'll see what else is wrong with it....hopefully not much.
    Which did u do? Im guessing not D.

Yeah - keep us informed and let us know how you get on (and how they are to deal with - Ill probably end up bringing mine in the next week or so to get mine done)

Hope it goes well for you
    Just living another day in the universe !

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Your head has bent valves and broken guides. If I bent 8 valves when my timing belt skipped, at idle, I gaurantee you bent at least all your valves.
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast