The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: intake problems

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    So I recently purchased an Injen short ram and installed it today. So far everything is fine except one part, which I assume is crucial. The bracket that is coming off the pipe doesn't line up correctly with the piece on the car. I'm not sure if I should extend some of the tubing to fit on there, because it seems to be grounding some wires. When I accelerate, there is a small squeek/buzz for a few seconds. In addition, there is a clicking that fluctuates with the acceleration. As if something is rattling around inside the engine. (I made sure the pipe was completely cleaned before I installed). Also, when I turn the car off, it gives off a hiss/ faint whistle for about 2 seconds. What do you think I should do about all this?

Here's the bracket Im talking about.

Here's how it doesn't line up.

You mite have put the pipping in to far the hoses. Pull it out a little bit and you should be fine. I personally put to washers to help with support. I also doubt you should tighten the mount to tight to allow it some play, if you tighten it to hard im pretty itll break.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

Ok, so I've got it mounted on there correectly now. I pulled the pipe a little bit out of the rubber connection (to extend it) and attached it to the bolt that it was near (with the grounded wires).
    Now, some of the noises have stopped except for when I turn the car off it kind of hisses for a second, as if somethings shutting down. Is that normal?
    Also, when I accelerate I get a faint screech. It doesnt happen all the time, only when I give it a medium amount of gas. When I floor it, I get the typical import rumble (kind of impartial to that noise) but no screech.
    any ideas? or is all this normal?
    keep in mind, it's a 2001 i4

The whistling or screeching sound when you accelerate is nothing more than harmonics. Just because its a straight pipe to the intake with no resonators. And the hissing sound that you hear when you shut it down is just the suction of the kit dying when the engine shuts down.
    2003 Dover White Mitsubishi Galant ES

1997 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaLaNtKeV99
    You mite have put the pipping in to far the hoses. Pull it out a little bit and you should be fine. I personally put to washers to help with support. I also doubt you should tighten the mount to tight to allow it some play, if you tighten it to hard im pretty itll break.
    i'm sorry jonathan, i had some difficulty understanding your PM.

i'm still not sure i'm understanding the sounds...the rattling left after you bolted the Intake onto the Block Correct?

If you put your ear to the intake while the car is on, or tap the car on neutral, you'll hear the filter sucking in air...is that what you're hearing when you turn it off? of is it like an electrical sound or metal on metal sound?

also, when you where puttin the clamps on, you didn't break any of them did you? if you tighten them too much, the crevaces (sp) will break cause the clamp not to tighten at that position any more.

also, make sure that the chrome part of the filter is not hitting the platform where the old intake used to be.

also, looks like you still have the bottom part of the old intake under the car...did you take it off?

-pedro

BTW,

INTAKE LOOKS GREAT MAN!!! good start. congrats on the instructionless install. :)
    -Pedro

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    it looks great man. i guess all the hissing you hear is normal cause remember that you took away the restriction of the stock and now you're feeding fressh air to the intake.. that's just how it's supposed to sound.. btw, clean your engine bay..

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamidad
    when you where puttin the clamps on, you didn't break any of them did you? if you tighten them too much, the crevaces (sp) will break cause the clamp not to tighten at that position any more.

also, make sure that the chrome part of the filter is not hitting the platform where the old intake used to be.

also, looks like you still have the bottom part of the old intake under the car...did you take it off?
    -pedro
    BTW,

INTAKE LOOKS GREAT MAN!!! good start. congrats on the instructionless install. :)
    Naw, I made sure not to over tighten any of the clamps. And the chrome part of the filter fits perfectly w/o touching anything. Tonight I got to the part of the intake that's under the car. Damn was that a pain in the ass. But Finally, it's complete! No more awkward noises or clicks. Thanks again man, my car is smoother and has a ballsy tone to it.

Next job is to clean the engine bay, i'll wait for a warmer day. 8-)

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    congrats!!!!
    -Pedro