The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4G63 or 6A13 engine swap?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    anklebreaker
    Whats up everyone, I got a situation with my 96' Galant. I recently ran it hot and had to replace the head and all that good stuff. I got it back from my mechanic and it ran great for about two weeks. It started making a wierd noise so I checked the oil. There was almost no oil in it. I put new oil in it to see if I could save it, but no. I took it to another mechanic and so he could check it out and he told me the noise was coming from the bottom end. In other words I needed a new motor. Since its my previous mechanic's fault he will be paying for my new motor. I'm gonna take advantage of the situation and get a more powerful engine that will bolt right in with little or no modification. I'm looking at a 4G63 turbo motor, or a 6A13 twin turbo engine. My Galant is the 96' front wheel drive automatic model. If anyone could point me in the right direction with what I should do I would really appreaciate it. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks

Proto
    4G63T is the easier one. 6A12TT is the 7G VR4 engine, 6A13TT is the 8G VR4.

you will have more luck finding a 4G63T an it will be cheaper some pople will rape your wallet when it comes to JDM motors plus from what i understand the 4g63t is al most a replacement fit but if you do that most of the poeple here will tell you to DO THE 5 SPEED SWAP if the get the 4g63t
    95' ES "Diamond"

first thing I would like to say is I like how clean your 7G looks and your pretty set cosmetic wise with the rims and drop.

second: I say go 4G63T. you could find these motors on car-part.com or even just visit your local junkyard and look for a wrecked eclipse and take the motor. or maybe even take one from a 6GVR4. there is a lot of potential into swapping a 4G63T in a 7G. ask Seth and DOHCSTUNR. both members have the 4G63T. and swapping a 4G63T is way cheaper than trying to shoehorn the twin turbo V6 into your engine bay. and im pretty sure it is way easier to find a fwd 5-speed for the 63T than the 6A12.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    first thing I would like to say is I like how clean your 7G looks and your pretty set cosmetic wise with the rims and drop.

second: I say go 4G63T. you could find these motors on car-part.com or even just visit your local junkyard and look for a wrecked eclipse and take the motor. or maybe even take one from a 6GVR4. there is a lot of potential into swapping a 4G63T in a 7G. ask Seth and DOHCSTUNR. both members have the 4G63T. and swapping a 4G63T is way cheaper than trying to shoehorn the twin turbo V6 into your engine bay. and im pretty sure it is way easier to find a fwd 5-speed for the 63T than the 6A12.
    the 6A12TT uses the same motor mounts, different wiring. Only thing different is the 60% of the trannies we see on the internet are AWD, not the FWD 6A12 NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    the 6A12TT uses the same motor mounts, different wiring. Only thing different is the 60% of the trannies we see on the internet are AWD, not the FWD 6A12 NA.
    whoa. I'm proven wrong. I didnt even know that... i still think go 4G63T...

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

anklebreaker
    Thanks for all the info so far guys, but now I got another question. I've heard that there are differences in the 4G63t 6bolt and 7bolt versions, what are they and which one should I go with?

well, this is the difference, 2G 7-bolts crankwalk. so grab a 6-bolt.

anklebreaker
    That's what I've heard, but I didn't know which one it was.

the 7-bolts are mostly in the 2G GS-T/GSX. You can find the 6-bolts in the 1G GS-T GSX