The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: head gasket and o-rings

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    just wondering how hard it is to replace the head gasket and the rings where the spark plugs are, my grandfather says its hard but i want to know for sure, so if anyone has any info on this for a 95 galant let me know
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Quote Originally Posted by luke9511
    just wondering how hard it is to replace the head gasket and the rings where the spark plugs are, my grandfather says its hard but i want to know for sure, so if anyone has any info on this for a 95 galant let me know
    you just need a vavle cover gasket set.
    its probably a 60 minute affair.
    just remove your spark plug wires.
    then the inspection cover for te timing belt.
    then the few bolts for the valve cover itself.
    get the old gasket material out.
    get the old orings out.
    install the new gasket and orings.
    install and torque to spec.

its a simple affair.

skill level: novice

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you are just talking about the valve cover gasket and gasket for the spark plug wells, then they are easy just like john said. Headgasket and piston rings are a whole nother story.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    If you are just talking about the valve cover gasket and gasket for the spark plug wells, then they are easy just like john said. Headgasket and piston rings are a whole nother story.
    i guess its the valve cover gasket im not sure and the reason why i asked is because i seem to have a little bit of oil around the spark plug wires so thats something i would like to fix and correct me if im wrong but the valve cover is the silver thing on the engine that says mitsubishi 16 valve or something like that right?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

THE-G
    uhhh.. yeah dude

Quote Originally Posted by luke9511
    i guess its the valve cover gasket im not sure and the reason why i asked is because i seem to have a little bit of oil around the spark plug wires so thats something i would like to fix and correct me if im wrong but the valve cover is the silver thing on the engine that says mitsubishi 16 valve or something like that right?

Yes, the siver thing on the engine is the valve cover. If you are getting oil on the spark plug wires, you should probably replace the wire as well. When me and Miss Mavs. G had the same problem, our spark plug wires swelled up and we couldnt put em back in. So that would be a good precaution to do, as well as replacing your valve cover gasket, and the o rings as well. :)
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by THE-G
    uhhh.. yeah dude
    well i dont know a whole lot about cars im more of a computer geek then anything

Quote Originally Posted by Kwikfox
    Yes, the siver thing on the engine is the valve cover. If you are getting oil on the spark plug wires, you should probably replace the wire as well. When me and Miss Mavs. G had the same problem, our spark plug wires swelled up and we couldnt put em back in. So that would be a good precaution to do, as well as replacing your valve cover gasket, and the o rings as well. :)
    ouch thats gotta suck and i will rememeber that thanks alot and i think at the same time i will replace the spark plugs aswell but all of this will probably have to wait untill after christmas since i just got some brand new tires(thanks god) which means no more slideing when in rain and stuff
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

ngk v-power's and either ngk wires or belden wires(napa high end)

its what i recomend.. i know john recomends other wires
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

NGK are nice, I use Acell. Whatever you do, dont buy Bosch wires from Autozone, they are horrid!
    7g for life!

NGK are nice, I use Acell. Whatever you do, dont buy Bosch wires from Autozone, they are horrid!
    ok, where would i get some of the other brands and how much would they cost?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i realized a few months ago i had never...ever...replaced my spark plug wires. they were the originals from the factory from 1994. i bought some accels on ebay and slapped 'em right in. work great, love them.

valve cover gasket is simple and just follow johns steps. can't screw it up....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    It's simple as long as someone else didn't replace it before and mess up...which is what happened to me. Whoever worked on the car before did something wrong...the gaskets were all glued on with some kind of demon glue that won't come off, so I had to pound the damn gasket out with a hammer. I always wondered why there was a little leak in the gaskets...and it seems like whatever f-ing glue it was hardened the rubber so it wouldn't seal anymore. Idiots. :evil:

It was probably the same person/people who mounted all of the shocks on backwards...no wonder my ride was all shitty before I did the drop. Sheesh.

Anyway...sorry to rant, but yeah, peano's right. As long as no one screwed up before you got the car, it should be an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMaverick

It was probably the same person/people who mounted all of the shocks on backwards...no wonder my ride was all shitty before I did the drop. Sheesh.
    HAHAHAHA :laughing: I totally forgot about that!!!! Your car is almost as bad to repair as mine is at times.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

It's simple as long as someone else didn't replace it before and mess up...which is what happened to me. Whoever worked on the car before did something wrong...the gaskets were all glued on with some kind of demon glue that won't come off, so I had to pound the damn gasket out with a hammer. I always wondered why there was a little leak in the gaskets...and it seems like whatever f-ing glue it was hardened the rubber so it wouldn't seal anymore. Idiots. :evil:

Anyway...sorry to rant, but yeah, peano's right. As long as no one screwed up before you got the car, it should be an easy job.
    Demon glue, ah man, thats the worst!
    7g for life!

:laughing:

Hell yeah! (pun intended)...I have no idea what kind of glue it was, all I know is that it was coming out from under the gasket, and it was clear...and evil. Just evil.

i realized a few months ago i had never...ever...replaced my spark plug wires. they were the originals from the factory from 1994. i bought some accels on ebay and slapped 'em right in. work great, love them.

as far as i know mine are stock aswell from 95
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

well i just changed the gasket and the things for the sparkplugs and now im no longer leaking oil and i have also noticed that since i did all that my car is running better :D, though i will admit, it was a bitch to get the cover off and then even harder to get the old gasket off, the thing was almost as hard as plastic
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, the older it gets the harder it becomes. getting the cover off is rarely a problem for me, but scraping the old gasket out is constantly a nightmare
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yeah, the older it gets the harder it becomes. getting the cover off is rarely a problem for me, but scraping the old gasket out is constantly a nightmare
    yeah but now i figure the next time i do it, it wont be as hard to do
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

:laughing:

Hell yeah! (pun intended)...I have no idea what kind of glue it was, all I know is that it was coming out from under the gasket, and it was clear...and evil. Just evil.
    they probably got cheap and used super glue
    i swear,
    super glue, duct tape, and wd-40 is all you need!