The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rims with NO drop

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Im currently looking into rims for this upcoming spring/summer, my deal is that I don't want to drop the car but I still want it to look straight.

Reasoning for not dropping: If I were to drop it, I'd rather go all out with suspension etc. I've talked to a number of people with drops and they say they feel every little bump on the road. However, I don't have that kind of money to put on this.

SO What size rims do you think would look good? I was thinking 18's or 19's. 20's might seem a little too big for this car. Also, what size should be good so I don't get any rubbing? Ive always got a lot of weight in the trunk, and occasionally have 2-3 in the back seat.

feedback is much appreciated

Just drop the car... it would look far better than any rims would without a drop. No matter what, you will have that gap. To get rid of the gap, you need to drop the car, so with bigger wheels, your car would look like a car with huge rims, and still have a gap... which would look even more ridiculous... You might be able to get bigger tires as well... but that would through off your spedometer, and it would still look weird. But hey, if thats your taste, go for it.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

if you arent going to drop it use 18" rims, if you are going to drop it use 18" also ( but you may be scraping if you load up some wight to the back of the car) for lowered car i would go with 17" inch, thats what i got!
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

i'm confused, you don't have the money to drop on coilovers but you want to get big wheels? if ur gonna go budget, you should get lowering springs at the very least. i mean a quality set of 18' w/ tires should run around $1500-$2000 so add $250 to that for springs and you're good until your stock struts give out.

optimal size for no rubbing and look on the 8G is 225/40zr18 18x7.5 +45mm. if you want more aggressive of a look, go bigger and wider but be aware the bigger you go and further you get from the offset number i just wrote and you will risk rubbing and will have to modify body parts (or suspension parts). btw, i'm running 225/35ar19 19x8.5 +48mm dropped 2.5"-3" on TEIN SS-P camber corrected front and rear. i had to cut out the inner fender lips in the back to avoid rubbing.

but the best advice i can give you is, DO NOT put big wheels on your car without dropping it; your car will look like a monster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jake26
    if you arent going to drop it use 18" rims, if you are going to drop it use 18" also ( but you may be scraping if you load up some wight to the back of the car) for lowered car i would go with 17" inch, thats what i got!
    u have a 7g, the 8g can handle much larger wheels/rims w/o rubbing... the 9g can handle even larger combos than the 8g w/ no problem.

All responses = very true Rims with no drop would just look pretty wack.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll just invest into springs as well

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE
    All responses = very true Rims with no drop would just look pretty wack.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll just invest into springs as well
    Try to save enough money to do both if you can. A drop without rims looks cheap to me for some reason. Kind of like having on a nice outfit with messed up shoes.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

if i were you and money limited i would by a cheap set of lowering springs and buy some 18" knockoff wheels. there are some pretty good looking ones nowadays. you can get a set w/ tires for under a grand and the springs/coilovers on ebay for under 50. there should be a tutorial on installing them yourself on this board. but remember cheap wheels usually dont hold up in an accident, so if you crash your rims wont be reusable. and the ride quality of cheap springs isnt great, but lowering your car makes the ride feel worse anyway unless you spend at least 1200.

in my opinion, 17s look the best with no drop...plus, if you go with + size wheels and low-profile tires, you will feel a lot more bumps in the road as well...it seems like i can feel a dime on the street with my 18s on.

Quote Originally Posted by VIPtint
    if i were you and money limited i would by a cheap set of lowering springs and buy some 18" knockoff wheels. there are some pretty good looking ones nowadays. you can get a set w/ tires for under a grand and the springs/coilovers on ebay for under 50. there should be a tutorial on installing them yourself on this board. but remember cheap wheels usually dont hold up in an accident, so if you crash your rims wont be reusable. and the ride quality of cheap springs isnt great, but lowering your car makes the ride feel worse anyway unless you spend at least 1200.
    I agree with everything stated above but do not I repeat do not buy ebay springs/coilovers for 50 bucks and under you will definately regret it. For springs go get a set of progress springs I think I paid 150.00 for mine. What ever you do dont buy Konig wheels, they will bend and break on ya. Anyone will tell you.

Back from the dead!!!

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    i'm a fan of 19s on the G.

But he's also dropped.
    -Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by Koncept
    in my opinion, 17s look the best with no drop...plus, if you go with + size wheels and low-profile tires, you will feel a lot more bumps in the road as well...it seems like i can feel a dime on the street with my 18s on.
    haha, it can't be that rough... cuz if you can feel a dime w/ your setup, u'd probably be able to tell if it was heads or tails w/ mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Koncept
    i agree 17 do make the car look better or 18 would be fine albo but 18 would make the car look little higher..

JasonDrosey
    i put 18's on mine and the gap looked enormous...then it looked even more ridiculous when i put my bodykit on...so all in all..you should buy the lowering springs and the save up for the wheels and tires..i know rims look cool and all but its way better to drop it first

if your going to buy rims for 800-1000 I'd just drop it. I mean you can get the Tein basics for 100 on Ebay.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.