The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Air Filter Question

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    jamsterjam
    When replacing the air filter, I unclamped the 2 clamps but you reall cant separate the box.
    Do you need to unscrew the MAF or the air scoop.
    :?

opps wasnt paying attention i thought it was for the 8g
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    pull it harder.

just have the new filter in when you remove the old one so you know how it goes on.

You just need to be rough with it, it's built to stay tight and sealed. Just use some elbow grease, you don't need to unbolt anything else, especially the MAS sensor lol

jamsterjam
    Thanks for all the replies, it does need a bit of pushing and shoving.

Follow up question:

Has anybody had trouble fitting a K&N drop in filter in the 9G? The rubber around the filter seems to thick compared to stock and the box doesnt close flush and the clips dont seem to click right away.
    I have an 06 BTW.

Thanks again in advance.

It fits fine in my air box, again you need to do some more pushing and shuving in the down position to get the air box totally closed.

yeah. My K&N isnt a perfect fit also. Youkinda have to push the rubber stuff more in to get the clips to close.

Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    yeah. My K&N isnt a perfect fit also. Youkinda have to push the rubber stuff more in to get the clips to close.
    My K&N was a perfect fit, you just need to make sure to flush the filter onto the box correctly. The upper left corner of the filter should be wider than the rest of the corners. =)
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant ES

on the drop in filter the edge of one of the top sides are different just match it the way it should and it will fit in perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by invertedzero
    on the drop in filter the edge of one of the top sides are different just match it the way it should and it will fit in perfectly
    Damn, you wrote that out perfectly. Sleep Deprivation doesn't help in grammar.
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant ES

jamsterjam
    Thanks for all your help.
    I got mine to fit flush but I had to take off some off the screw, like from the snorkel and from the bottom of the airbox.
    After I got them clamped, I re-screwed everything back.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    good job!!! you just replaced the stock filter right.. you ain't runnin after market assembly right?? hope not.. that would void the car's warranty.

jamsterjam
    After market assembly? Not sure what that means. Something like an SRI or a CAI? If its CARB certified here in CA, it shouldnt void the warranty. Unfortunately, there isnt one that is CARB certified for the 9G, even though we share engines with the Eclipse and Lancer Ralliart, that do have CARB certified intakes.
    No, just a drop in K&N filter. Some people have had trouble coz the rubber is a little too fat around the edges.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    aight!! how is it so far??

jamsterjam
    RPMs are lower at speed. At 80 with stock filter it was a little over 3K, now its just at 3K. Anyone else notice this?

Well technically, its should still be the same since your not changing anything on gearings but who knows.

Glad you got it in there though.