The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: widest tire on 18x8

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    8G_GTZ
    can I go 235/40/18? I'm running 225's now and they look so wide from the back, but is that the widest you can go on 8" wide? I'm not conserned about the rubbing, it's not close enough. early thanks though

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 8G_GTZ
    can I go 235/40/18? I'm running 225's now and they look so wide from the back, but is that the widest you can go on 8" wide? I'm not conserned about the rubbing, it's not close enough. early thanks though

Steve
    depends on ur offset and how deep ur dropped. in any case, yes u should b able to run 235 if ur running 225 now... but u may have to roll the rear fenders for clearance.

I have the same rims as him. I am dropped on progress springs. And I am running 225/40 tires. My rear fenders are rolled. I will say this I would be rubbing if they weren't rolled.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

8G_GTZ
    I'm sure it would be close if I hadn't stripped out my rear, but I will have to roll the rear for sure not to take any chances. Why would offset have anything to do with the width though? I didn't think that mattered with wheel width.

Anyways, so the 235's should fit on 8 wide then? If so, I'm ordering them next spring.

Steve

I'm sure it would be close if I hadn't stripped out my rear, but I will have to roll the rear for sure not to take any chances. Why would offset have anything to do with the width though? I didn't think that mattered with wheel width.

Anyways, so the 235's should fit on 8 wide then? If so, I'm ordering them next spring.

Steve
    when thinking of clearances, width and offset will affect each other. for instance you can run a 7" wide wheel/tire at +32mm and it would stick out the same as an 8" wide wheel/tire at +45mm since 1" = 25mm. the offset is how far from the centerline of the rim the mounting plane is and width is the width of the rim. so your offset would dictate how close your rim/tire is to rubbing and if you want to increase the width of the tire, you would have to have a high enough offset to clear the fender (and low enough offset to clear the suspension). now do you get it?

8G_GTZ
    I understand now, sorry for the misconseption. I appreciate it man. I never really understood.

Well you can 'fit' 275s on a 8" wheel, though I wouldn't recommend it. Especially on a Galant.

The Lancer EVO comes stock with 17x8" wheels with 235/45-17s. Infact with a 8" wheel a 225 is a little on the skinny side. A 235 is a much better fit.

8G_GTZ
    My friend just got 18x7.5 and he is running 225/35. I think that is the widest you can go on those. I also found 1in wheel spacers too. I might be doing that and going with the 235's if I do or not. The spacers were only $96 shipped so why not.

Steve

My friend just got 18x7.5 and he is running 225/35. I think that is the widest you can go on those. I also found 1in wheel spacers too. I might be doing that and going with the 235's if I do or not. The spacers were only $96 shipped so why not.

Steve
    well the why not part comes from your rear fenders. a 1" spacer would effectively lower ur offset 25mm and getting a wider tire will push the sidewall of your tires out 5mm more (10mm / 2 sides). so you will need 30mm total more of clearance... you should have no problem in the front but your rears will definitely need to b rolled or cut out (like mine).