The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Quick question guys

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    In the center console. I switched my radio from the top to the bottom tray. Im trying to glue the tray that was on the bottom to the top part. Since I cant screw it in, I was going to glue it on. Do you guys recomment I use super glue or that epoxy stuff? Which is stronger?

badbishi
    as long as your not going to put anything heavy in there, just use the super glue

superglue will melt plastic...

Quote Originally Posted by Koncept
    superglue will melt plastic...
    Super glue melts plastic?? :-?

jtaruc
    Quote Originally Posted by macknati
    Super glue melts plastic?? :-?
    yea a hot glue gun will melt plastic, so a super hot glue will melt plastic too ;)

go to your local home depot or somethign like that and buy plastic apoxy and apply it from behind the panel

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

TGC Regular
    USE JB WELD. This will hold it for sure. What i would do is......

- scuff up both surfaces that you plan on bonding (80-150 grit) and clean them off
    - mix up some JB Weld and run a thin line around the perimeter of piece. (use a toothpic or something to spread it on)
    - this stuff takes about 4-8 hours to set (depending on the temperature) so i would would press the two surfaces together and then use a few dabs of hot glue or superglue around it to hold it in place while the JB WELD sets. That way you dont have to clamp it or hold it there forever.
    - let it set overnight and you're good to go.

BTW- when i was working on my center console i tried to use the two part epoxy and superglue on it and niether worked. The superglue wont melt the plastic, but the strong vapors will turn the surrounding plastic white after a few hours.

And DONT try to get the JB QUICK WELD. it sets a lot faster but doesnt work for shit !!

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea the epoxy will foam a bit too so it will get a better hold rather then the crazy glue which is very thin and wont be as easy to glue on

i know superglue can melt certain types of plastics. not sure if the console is made of those types, but i have ruined several toy cars before trying to glue them back together. the superglue dissolves the chemical bond between that type of plastic, and it turns gooey and rubbery. but still, not a great plan for any other type of plastic either.

I finished my project last night. I took a couple of yalls advice and went with the epoxy. That stuff aint no bitch. I LOVE IT. Thx for all yall input!