The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AWD Conversion is a go

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 62
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

See,
    for you 8g guys...
    NOT ONE part of the rear end swap seems difficult to me or even so much as presents the dilemma.
    i think the problem lies in the front end.
    particularly in the front crossmember

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

8gpricele$$_toy
    So do you think it would be easier to just do a RWD conversion? What the difference between AWD and RWD? Sorry if its a dumb question....

you'd have to find a transmission that would work with that. besides that maybe. he said he's having trouble with the transfer case mounting place. and the driveshaft would take the place of his exhaust.
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by 8gpricele$$_toyz
    So do you think it would be easier to just do a RWD conversion? What the difference between AWD and RWD? Sorry if its a dumb question....
    "WOW"...................................AWD [all-wheel-drive (4 wheels with power) ]...........RWD [rear-wheel-drive (2 wheels withs power {"rear" ones}) ].
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

holy shit that is awsome!! I want to know the final price on the whole conversion, I would like to go RWD but AWD would be so much sweeter.

as for the exhaust just run it below the driveshaft (unless clearance would be a problem) then I imagine you'd have to put a heat shield between the two.....my '86 528 Bimmer was set up that way.

8gpricele$$_toy
    Quote Originally Posted by da1085
    "WOW"...................................AWD [all-wheel-drive (4 wheels with power) ]...........RWD [rear-wheel-drive (2 wheels withs power {"rear" ones}) ].
    That's common sense, I fucking know that.... Now be a good bitch and tell me as power wise since you was so quick to be a smart ass....

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Man I would like to know the parts that he used. Good job on his part though.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

With AWD you will have more parasitic loss through the driveline but this can be made up for with the added traction given out by awd. Handleing advantages are you can kick the back end around like a rear wheel drive given the transfer case is set up for it, and then with the front wheels pulling as well pull the car out of a drift like a front wheel drive, making an awd car very forgiving to drive.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

i agree, the rear seems simple enough.... it's just the front crossmember.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

8gpricele$$_toy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    With AWD you will have more parasitic loss through the driveline but this can be made up for with the added traction given out by awd. Handleing advantages are you can kick the back end around like a rear wheel drive given the transfer case is set up for it, and then with the front wheels pulling as well pull the car out of a drift like a front wheel drive, making an awd car very forgiving to drive.
    Thank you for not giving me a smart ass answer... That makes more sense to me. Just mainly wanted to know which would give out more power on a 1/4 in the streets. None of that drifting bs cause for that I'll use my sr5 when I'm finished with it. Shoot that's going to be my main one for the tracks too. I just like using the galant in the streets and seeing people's faces when they realize what I'm riding in.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Thank you for not giving me a smart ass answer... That makes more sense to me. Just mainly wanted to know which would give out more power on a 1/4 in the streets. None of that drifting bs cause for that I'll use my sr5 when I'm finished with it. Shoot that's going to be my main one for the tracks too. I just like using the galant in the streets and seeing people's faces when they realize what I'm riding in.
    Psssst, look closely at the pic in my avi and try and remember if you've seen it before.

galants.org autoxgalant72

That should further explain the lack of smartass in my answer.

I'm talking from an autocross perspective, with awd its easier to make the really tight turns and rotate them very well at higher speeds, and a slight drift isnt going to hinder your ability to hook up as you come out of a corner as is an affliction of rwd.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

That's common sense, I fucking know that.... Now be a good bitch and tell me as power wise since you was so quick to be a smart ass....
    dude my bad for responding the way i did.......but then you didn't say anything about performance related subject.....after reading some other posts in the past, it's gets anoying .....you know what i mean??.....i wouldn't say that you would get power out of it....just better response from the car.....
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    sweet

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Anyone else besides me can't go to that website? :(

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    I cant go to the website either. Its been known that you can do the AWD conversion and just like Cali and John said, the problem isnt the rear, its the front cross member. Only a few people know this, but I bought a wrecked 04 Evo 8 on friday to part it out, but I ended up selling it as a whole instead. I took a look underneath it, and the front is the only problem, you need to hack apart the front cross member and then reinforce it and make new braces and stuff. This is really where everyone forgets another problem. The EVO transmissions are WEAK. Find anyone with an EVO making over 350whp that races the car and ask them how many transmissions and t-cases they have been thru. You will spend $4,000 just in parts and labor to bullet proof the trans and case, thats not including the price of the actually tranny. So I'd say to go AWD your looking at $8,000 plus the labor to install and fabricate the front cross member. My guess is when all is said and done, your into it at least $11,000. Again, this is doing it the right way and bullet proofing the trans and so forth.

PS 9G I cant see the other site either.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    same here :(
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

yea links dead to me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    So I'd say to go AWD your looking at $8,000 plus the labor to install and fabricate the front cross member. My guess is when all is said and done, your into it at least $11,000. Again, this is doing it the right way and bullet proofing the trans and so forth.
    and for all that jack,
    you could build a very very very fast FWD car. its just not cost effective on an 8g car.

and if you are worried about hooking up,
    just drive it in reverse.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast