The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AWD Conversion is a go

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 62
    Quote Originally Posted by nokcy21
    hey guys what if you buy the complete front clip from the 8G VR4 so youll have all the components needed? :idea:

Please search
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You will need an awd rear subframe still. ANd have fun wiring up the 6a13tt in a USDM 8g.
    7g for life!

To: spdracr
    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:50 am
    Subject: Re: few questions Quote message

6a13tt Conversion list I created back in 2004. Since you have the I4 it would be more pricey to have the subframe mounts welded to the frame of the car, if you knew how to weld then it would be a peice of cake. You will save money buying the 6a13tt but you will have to track down the trans to mate with it. then pay for the welding..

spdracr wrote:
    i know a million people before peobably Pmed u about turbo and VR4 and others but i have a very simple question for u

if i get an engine and a tranny from a VR4 will they drop right in my engine bay without much mods ( i have the I4 engine ) cuz i have people overseas that is looking into getting me them and i have an uncle in Holland which can help as well, i heard u imported a Vr4. how did u manage to do that ???

reply whenever u get the chance

thanks in advance

if you really really want a VR4 that bad you can join the military and "PRAY" to be stationed in the UK or somewhere very close... as that is the only place you will be able to import one from without (major) hassles, and i'm saying without major ones, because military purchasing a vehicle overseas for personal use and shipping it back it different from, say, a vacationer. But yeah, this has been discussed several times before... i don't know how much cash you're workin with, but it would take a pretty penny to locate a tranny and get it through customs... hell, it may be cheaper to have someone custom fab a different AWD tranny and rear to mate with the motor... it's all in who you know

TGC Regular
    i want an allwheel drive Model.. Check out this eclipse Gs converted over to an awd. He said it didnt cost him much... Just relocated some mounts.... I dunnooo...

blueeclipse.net

TGC Regular
    arg its a dead link, sorry about that...

thats the blue eclipse from the link on the first page....out in CO I think. that car is what started this thread. and it was farily cheap because he done the welding himself for the front transfer cause and he had a donor Evo to use.

i was looking at a 2g eclipse and i noticed just about everything would fit right in to do an awd set up. since i turboed my 94 gs the car cant catch traction. so im hoping to try it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jimskin4
    i was looking at a 2g eclipse and i noticed just about everything would fit right in to do an awd set up. since i turboed my 94 gs the car cant catch traction. so im hoping to try it anyway.
    If you still have your 94 galant turbo then it shouldn't be hard to go awd. The swap is a lot easier for a 7g galant and much more 2g awd conversion exist. Search the 7g performance Section...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

For a 7g, I believe it will be easy. A 2g AWD trans will bolt to a stock 4g64 or 4g63. Entire rear 2g subframe will bolt into the Galant with little probles, you just have to use the longer subframe bolts. I would use the stock rear driveshaft, tack in the carrier bearing, then get a custom lenght driveshaft from the t-case to the carrier bearing. The only concern at all is the exhaust tunnel, if its big enough to use both the exhaust and driveshaft. Worst case scenario, cut out the stock exhaust tunnel and weld in a larger one, lots of labor, but people do this all the time in domestics and other cars.
    7g for life!

this AWD 3G, which this thread is about. has broken, couple of months ago actually. the rear end couldnt take the setup and the frame twisted, the only way for this conversion to work would be to reinforce the frame so it can handle the extra stress created by the conversion.

Hmm odd. The Mirage guys have been doing AWD swaps for years with no problems like that. Maybe it was just because the 3g was and always has been a FWD chassis. Where as the Mirage, 6g, 7g, and 8g all have an AWD counterpart on the market somewhere. Any more detail as to where the frame twisted?
    7g for life!

wow that sucks...any more info on this?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

yeha i dont see how this would happen on an 8g since there is a awd version. i mean we could probably bolt up the rear end from a vr4 im sure its just the subframe in the front thats different
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

the US Galant and 3G eclipse share the same chassis, the JDM 4wd galants are a completly different chassis then the USDM models.

Im searching for more info about how the car broke. I'll post it when I find it.......
    after doing some research the car breaking was a damn rumor, that's what I get for believing someone without checking it out first.....anyways last post or second to last on page 3. the guy says all is fine and no twisted frame.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...n-eclipse.html

Nice catch Arm, I was just about to post the same thing.

222whp/250wtq

i rather get myself a vr-4 and i'll be set!!

Hi guys.
    Just want to say, that in Poland we have 3 Galant VR4 made from 2: N/A Galant and VR4 imported from Japan. To swap an engine is quite easy. To make RWD is also not hard, because N/A Galant has same mounting spots (sory for my english) as VR4. It take about 2, lets say 3 weeks to make whole swap with FWD. Now, next VR4 is comming, but this one will have moved stearing wheel from right to left side which is, in my opinion, more dangerous. We will see.
    I am thinking about this in about 4-6 months.
    Good luck
    PS:
    I know you dont understand polish, but you can see photos how it was done:
    http://www.mitsubishi-grafix.pl/foru...ht=vr4&start=0
    and first ride:
    http://www.streetracing.pl/forum/vie...alant&start=30
    EA5A SE

Is there use for 1G AWD parts? While the 7G uses the 2G rear, will it work the same on an 8G? Anyone make any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon Sunset View Post
    I just wanted to bump this thread. check out pages 4, 6 and 10 for pics.....he basically has it finished and should have it up and running by mid-april he says. AWD in the 3g, fucking amazing....who wants to be the first to go AWD in a USDM 8G?
    I would be down to do this for sure. Price is not an option. If someone can help me out with what I have to do and what parts I need I will deff start this project. I have been hoping for a way to do this for a long time now. If any one can help me out please, any info is apriciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast