The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2JZ in an 8g Galant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36
    I am looking at engines, from mild to wild, sane to insane crazy. I have been looking at the 1JZ or 2JZ Supra engines and a light bulb came up. It would be awesome so swap it into the Galant. I mean the galant has a lot of space to work with and dropping a Supra engine in there could blow away people dissing the grocery getter, lol. I've seen it done, some dude around where I live had the engine dropped into a late model 240sx. I've also seen people swap it into other Toyota/Lexus, such as the SC300/400 (Even though I think some came with that engine, not sure maybe I'm thinking about the Soarer). I just recruited one guy with a SC300 and he said thats what he did, a 2JZ swap pushing 16psi (Over The Limit C.C. coming up, lol) Anyway I wanted to find out the advantages, and if anyone who is proficient in engine fitment can find out if this is worth doing, worth the time and money. OPINIONS PLEASE!

The difference between those cars and the g is that those are RWD while the G is FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSerrano
    I am looking at engines, from mild to wild, sane to insane crazy. I have been looking at the 1JZ or 2JZ Supra engines and a light bulb came up. It would be awesome so swap it into the Galant. I mean the galant has a lot of space to work with and dropping a Supra engine in there could blow away people dissing the grocery getter, lol. I've seen it done, some dude around where I live had the engine dropped into a late model 240sx. I've also seen people swap it into other Toyota/Lexus, such as the SC300/400 (Even though I think some came with that engine, not sure maybe I'm thinking about the Soarer). I just recruited one guy with a SC300 and he said thats what he did, a 2JZ swap pushing 16psi (Over The Limit C.C. coming up, lol) Anyway I wanted to find out the advantages, and if anyone who is proficient in engine fitment can find out if this is worth doing, worth the time and money. OPINIONS PLEASE!
    IMO why would you swap a 2JZ when you can swap a 4G63t and get as much out of that engine? and less fabrication and money.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

To be the first to do it I suppose

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    A 2JZ-80 engine would be a ton of work to swap in an 8G. Fist I think that the engine bay is too small. You'll have to reconfigure the chassis for a RWD setup. The tranny will never fit. Fact is you could do it but it'll cost a ton of money.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i thought you were going with the vr4 motor? for like 1000 bux lol guess it was too good to be true?

hey david that place where im gonna drop my car for the turbo downpipe specializes in swapping the supra motor in other cars.. you should drop by and ask them what they think... manictech racing off 441 going south..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The problem is as stated above by others. Its a motor designed for RWD. You would need to cut out the center console and floor and make a tunnel out of sheet metal to have space for the tranny. You would have to "back half" the car into a tube chassis. To do all this, your talking about $20,000 worth of custom fabrication not including the price of the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I actually thought of this too, as well as the RB26DETT (which is just insane) I've looked at some 1jz motors and that is a very very tight fit, the nose on the supra is way longer then our car and I think the radiator will also be a problem. possibly cutting up the front end and whatnot, so your front end would be weaker and more of a death trap in a front end crash. You would loose powersteering and the AC to attempt to get it to fit also, I looked at a one 2jz and decided that that engine wont fit. as it seemed larger then the 1jz and to make it fit would be a lot of fabrication. but as stated the problem is getting a tranny to fit in there as well, RWD isnt that hard to do (theres a post on here about a guy on club3g is going AWD, he has the rear all setup but the front is giving him trouble) so Rwd is possible with our cars its just finding a tranny to fit and that will mount up.

all this is eyeballing it with a few measurements I took and the advice from a few mechanics but given that I live in KS and most of the mechanics seem stupid and look at me like Im crazy. I think that its possible but I dont have the money to do it, and I dont want to cut up my car that much.

your better off with the Evo or Vr-4 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    i thought you were going with the vr4 motor? for like 1000 bux lol guess it was too good to be true?
    So I thought but the dude backed out...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You guys keep talking, because this is all it is "talk".
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    You guys keep talking, because this is all it is "talk".
    Thats why it's called a thread, and thats why it's in a forum

Ok, do the swap, please! Id like to see it

On that note, nobody will ever do a 2jz swap into any Galant.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Just do it. Asking is for losers. Like me. haha.

u know what? i was thinking and i bet i could put a motor at each of my wheels and have a quad engine AWD setup. my only problem is how to shift all four transmissions since i only have 2 hands, i bet i could just weld all the shifters together or find a way to mount CV transmissions for each motor so i don't have to shift. do you think it would b hard to do? i know some of the large auto manufacturers are fiddling w/ this idea right now but w/ electric motors, but those suck i want to try this w/ gasoline engines... and then turbocharge all of them! that would just be soooooo awesome. i have a friend that can make parts for me and i bet we can do it for less than $10. i'll be sure to post pics of our progress.

dude this mod is so common i can't believe you guys are bitching like little girls over it.
    seriously pure simplicity.
    you want a rwd 2jz 8g?
    simple enough.
    first things first you have to yank the motor,
    after that yank the front crossmember,
    after that yank the rear suspension and the remaining front suspension.
    then remove the wiring harness.
    next you have to take the radiator core support out to make room for the new setup, so of course the bumpers and fenders have to be removed.
    to make it easy to get inside for the duration of the swap you will want to take off the doors and trunk
    which of course will mean all the interior pieces as well since you will be doing some metal cutting soon enough.
    the gas tank wiull have to go since it won't clear the driveshaft.
    ok
    next we get to the hard core fabricating parts
    you are going to have to tear almost all of the floor out of the cabin or jsut tear all the floor out of the cabin we can redo it later
    you will have to cut the floor out of the trunk as well but no worries we will make the new trunk even better than mitsu desinged it.
    ok now for the parts car,
    oh yes you will need a supra as a parts car if you wnt to be able to do this.
    ok take the emblems from yoru 8g and put them on the supra.
    next take the vehicle catalyst off the 8g from under the hood and put it on the supra.
    next take the door sticker out and put it on the supra.
    next salvage all the remaining metal to get money for the supra
    after that
    get to the dmv and get a kit car registration and vanity tags that say "8G GLANT"

use the money from the leftover parts to gas it up and take pics for all of us to see.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    u know what? i was thinking and i bet i could put a motor at each of my wheels and have a quad engine AWD setup. my only problem is how to shift all four transmissions since i only have 2 hands, i bet i could just weld all the shifters together or find a way to mount CV transmissions for each motor so i don't have to shift. do you think it would b hard to do? i know some of the large auto manufacturers are fiddling w/ this idea right now but w/ electric motors, but those suck i want to try this w/ gasoline engines... and then turbocharge all of them! that would just be soooooo awesome. i have a friend that can make parts for me and i bet we can do it for less than $10. i'll be sure to post pics of our progress.

dang!! pretty good thought there... imagine that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    u know what? i was thinking and i bet i could put a motor at each of my wheels and have a quad engine AWD setup. my only problem is how to shift all four transmissions since i only have 2 hands, i bet i could just weld all the shifters together or find a way to mount CV transmissions for each motor so i don't have to shift. do you think it would b hard to do? i know some of the large auto manufacturers are fiddling w/ this idea right now but w/ electric motors, but those suck i want to try this w/ gasoline engines...
    I know that is sarcasm... but it would be a lot simpler with just 2 engines, Suzuki done it with its earliest Escudo pikes peak version, front and rear mounted V6 engines. everything was controlled by a shit load of electronics so that both engines ran at the same RPM as well as the throttle and and both tranny's were synched up to shift at the same time. pure engineering marvel. Later models just ran one engine.

DOHCstunr funny post, wasnt expecting the last bit about sticking mitsu emblems on the Supra.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    dude this mod is so common i can't believe you guys are bitching like little girls over it.
    seriously pure simplicity.
    you want a rwd 2jz 8g?
    simple enough.
    first things first you have to yank the motor,
    after that yank the front crossmember,
    after that yank the rear suspension and the remaining front suspension.
    then remove the wiring harness.
    next you have to take the radiator core support out to make room for the new setup, so of course the bumpers and fenders have to be removed.
    to make it easy to get inside for the duration of the swap you will want to take off the doors and trunk
    which of course will mean all the interior pieces as well since you will be doing some metal cutting soon enough.
    the gas tank wiull have to go since it won't clear the driveshaft.
    ok
    next we get to the hard core fabricating parts
    you are going to have to tear almost all of the floor out of the cabin or jsut tear all the floor out of the cabin we can redo it later
    you will have to cut the floor out of the trunk as well but no worries we will make the new trunk even better than mitsu desinged it.
    ok now for the parts car,
    oh yes you will need a supra as a parts car if you wnt to be able to do this.
    ok take the emblems from yoru 8g and put them on the supra.
    next take the vehicle catalyst off the 8g from under the hood and put it on the supra.
    next take the door sticker out and put it on the supra.
    next salvage all the remaining metal to get money for the supra
    after that
    get to the dmv and get a kit car registration and vanity tags that say "8G GLANT"

use the money from the leftover parts to gas it up and take pics for all of us to see.

a tgc classic. :laughing:
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon Sunset
    I know that is sarcasm... but it would be a lot simpler with just 2 engines, Suzuki done it with its earliest Escudo pikes peak version, front and rear mounted V6 engines. everything was controlled by a shit load of electronics so that both engines ran at the same RPM as well as the throttle and and both tranny's were synched up to shift at the same time. pure engineering marvel. Later models just ran one engine.

DOHCstunr funny post, wasnt expecting the last bit about sticking mitsu emblems on the Supra.
    Ive seen a duel motor car in a Hyundai Tiburon and a 1g Eclipse. Not impossible, just pointless.
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast