The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What are you running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29
    03galantes
    Was looking for some ideas...what are your alls I/H/E setups? Price range?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    at the search area you can type in "engine pics", then "CAI" "short ram" "Exhaust". might help you out a bit... just a simple reminder..

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    at the search area you can type in "engine pics", then "CAI" "short ram" "Exhaust". might help you out a bit... just a simple reminder..
    x1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Calipso
    x1,000,000

kinda gave him a heads up before he get's flamed ;-) make his first time at the TGC a gooooood one..

AEM CAS $325 (second intake)
    MPHUnlimited downpipe / test pipe $400 (just took this off and sold it)
    AERO TURBINE / SLP dual center exit custom catback $1100 (second exhaust)

Welcome to TGC.

Your question is directed to each and every one of us so its a good post.

I
    Im still playing around with the intake. the cold air intake sucking up water after hiting a deep puddle is my worst nightmare and it limits my driving in the rain so Im looking at custom assembling my own. My advise on this is: if you are going to go with something make it at least 3" in diameter like injen, aem and if its within your budget.

Headers ( have not done them yet) probably your biggest gain will come from this

E
    Im going to have some one do my exhaust from the cat back and will be going with a flowmaster 60 series muffler. (no one has a sound clip or video of this set up here).

Total horsepower gained (minimal)

The feeling that you upgraded the stock performance (priceless)
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Ending exhaust after cats. Free.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    ReWorks intake.
    custom catback.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    Ending exhaust after cats. Free.
    haha, not if u get pulled over!

They havent touched me yet, and its been like this since May. I got pulled over, with no exhaust, and expired tags and all the cop wanted to know is why my brakelight was out.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    They havent touched me yet, and its been like this since May. I got pulled over, with no exhaust, and expired tags and all the cop wanted to know is why my brakelight was out.
    u better go find some wood to knock on. try that w/ LAPD... you'd either get pulled out of your car for a search and posibble confisction or u'd end up having your car in the state referree for inspection and a court date.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    u better go find some wood to knock on. try that w/ LAPD... you'd either get pulled out of your car for a search and posibble confisction or u'd end up having your car in the state referree for inspection and a court date.

X2..

i have a K&N short ram/CAI and custom 3" mani back with magnaflow hi flow cat and Megan GT-M turbo muffler... no headers, to me that would be a waste cause i would have to just take them off in spring anyway...

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>6G72gearhead Posted Today, 07:14 AM
    They havent touched me yet, and its been like this since May. I got pulled over, with no exhaust, and expired tags and all the cop wanted to know is why my brakelight was out. </div>

So what are the benefits of ending your exhaust at the Cat? Im assuming it would sound louder? Correct? Got any sound clips to describe the sound? Do i have to worry about any damaging effects? :???: :???: :???:

I have a V6 with Intake Headers and Exhaust.

As far as intakes go, ebay does have some decent ones however most are scrap. I have the AEM CAI, that i usually run as a WAI. If I was going to buy it all over again I would just have gotten the WAI intake instead of the CAI. You get the same performance gains, with no chance of inducting water.

As for the headers go. I have the CMF v1 headers, without a SAFCII for tuning.

Catback I have the Stratus Coupe dynomax catback. It is louder than stock, but not nearly as loud as most of the 3G eclipses I have heard.

Performance wise it went like this

Stock V6 0-60 in 9 seconds
    AEM intake 0-60 in 8.25 seconds &#036;200 US
    -- note, 17" rims, heavier than stock added, and spare tire removed at this time.
    CMF Headers 0.60 in 7.0 seconds &#036;750 US
    Dynomax 0-60. 7.0 seconds &#036;300 US

0-60 the catback didn't do anything, but it did add some punch uptop.

where did those numbers come from???? 9 sec believable... taking 2 full seconds from a 0-60 run...????? most people can't take 2 seconds from a 1/4 mile run with the 1.2k... for I/H/E

They came from a Gtech timer thing. They are the best times for numerous runs with each new part. I ran them all on the same road (I picked a straight road ever so slightly up hill, I figured up hill would be better than downhill....there are no flat roads out here in bumblefuck), but not the same time of year. Some of them were on the stock rims/tires, whereas the other weren't. I always tried to run the tests about the same temp outside (those cold crisp nights). I am in PA in the valley, not sure what we are above sea level.

At this time of year, with it cold I run about a 7 to a 7.25 on average. The best 0-60 I had was 6.6, but I cheated and brake stalled.

I found through a lot of 0-60 runs, that pretty much how you go the first 3 seconds is the difference between 0-60 in 7 seconds or 8 to 8 1/2.

All of the tests (that I counted in the list) I didn't use stall to launch at all, just mash the gas and hold onto your shit. When I have enough money to get my HSTC I plan to continue doing the tests. Ian assured me I would shave at least 1/4 a second off my 0-60 with it, and more realistically 1/2 to 1 full second off (We'll see how that goes?). I also pulled the fuse for traction control somewhere in the line of tests, if you have I/H/E + V6 I guarantee you will see better times with your traction control fuse out. The downside is you loose ABS (never locked by brakes up yet, and I have slammed them once or twice).

Every car reacts differently, and I assume mine reacted pretty well to the mods. I hope to get a SAFCII soon, I have been wasting tons of gas for over a year now, running pig ass rich.

g thing is garbage... it's not a track timer.... throw those #s out and go to a track

I have been to the track with the Gtech, not with my Galant tho.

It was only ever off +/- ~2 tenths of a second out of ~15 passes. I bought it second hand for 20 bucks. Not a bad price, to get a general performance meter.

I'm not saying that I will run a 15.5 at the track (thats stock 17.5 - 2 seconds), and I wouldn't say that unless I went to the track and ran the car. I can't afford gas these days, let alone paying to waste it at the track.

I would venture the guess that I am in the high 15's somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    So what are the benefits of ending your exhaust at the Cat? Im assuming it would sound louder? Correct? Got any sound clips to describe the sound? Do i have to worry about any damaging effects? :???: :???: :???:
    You've got to be one wierd nut job like me to drive with the same exhaust set up. Its really loud inside the cabin, it resignates alot. With just my exhaust set up and my throttle body coolent bypass I'm getting a consistant 8.3 sec 0-60 from a data logger. I have in car video from an autocross, I've just been to lazy to upload it and edit it.

As for not trying it with LAPD, california would probably have cops waiting at the boarder to try and get me on some emissions violation. Not that having no mufflers is a violation, there are cars that even from the factory dont have mufflers, the SRT-4 is one example, but I'm guessing CARB would frown on my exessive ZDDP emissions. The ZDDP is an anti wear additive that works really well, therefore the treehuggers must ban it. I use a non API certified race oil with enough ZDDP to keep a flat tappit cam alive. My thought is if it makes a life or death difference for a flat tappit cam then its probably going to be benoficial in my engine since I run the piss out of it.

ZDDP and cats dont get along so thats one reason that they are trying to reduce its content in oils, so the cats last longer. I love living in Kansas where they dont bother testing all that shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast