The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tooling on a Budget

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    I've checked out sites for finding aftermarket parts for other cars. I've read the long and repetitive posts on the 3G struts being the same size, shape fit....and thats all well and good. Seeing as how I'm looking for a supremely cheap way to upgrade my 99 ES, I've gone on hunting parties into the depths of the junkyard. However finding aftermarket parts there is as exercise in futility. I was wondering if anyone out there can contribute to helping me find stock parts off of other cars that would fit the 8gs. The 3G strut bars, and 2G Stratus exhausts are a good start. But that just increases availability. Are there differences in spring tensions in 3Gs that would increase my car's handling? Are the stock spindles forged better? Does the cigarette lighter light faster? If I could get links to forums I may have not found or personal experience info on stock parts off of other cars fitting and out performing my stock parts. I'd appreciate it.

anything that are stock on the Galant is the same for the 3G. (except the manual tranny and STB.) You'd be better off upgrading parts than replacing stock components with stock components. They are identical cars with different bodies so really there is no point in swapping out parts.

Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Calipso
    The saying around here is the 3G is the "Galant Coupe". Pretty much the majority of mechanical stuff is interchangeable....but must be I4 to I4 and V6 to V6.

Though I've heard that the control arms on the 03'-05' GTS are much better. And since the two cars are the same mechanically, that could be considered an "upgrade" to the galant, though it is a stock part. Those are the kind of comparisons that I am looking for...

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    anything that are stock on the Galant is the same for the 3G. (except the manual tranny and STB.) You'd be better off upgrading parts than replacing stock components with stock components. They are identical cars with different bodies so really there is no point in swapping out parts.
    i thought manual tranny was swappable between the 8g and 3g...otherwise how would people be doing the 8g tranny swap?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

It is interchangeable, but what he was saying is you cant buy a stock Galant with a 5 speed, or a STB.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

If you want speed go with a 5spd swap, as for handleing a rear swaybar and tires would be the best places to start, I wouldnt worry about a stb or anything like that until you've got the two I've mentioned. Aftermarket swaybars like the ST bar I have arent that expensive either.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com