The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: different gas

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    gotendbz1
    today gas station only had 93 gas so i got that . I usually get 87 or 89, will i see a performance different.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Negatory.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Negatory.
    nada

nah you will only become less fuel effiecient, and get less mileage from high octane gas, if your ecu isn't designed to advance timing to take advantage of the greater resistance to detonation.
    the best thing you cna do is run only 87 octane... never anythign else.
    preferably from a place like chevron shell or BP that have detergents in their fuel,
    keep a fresh fuel filter,
    and drop in a bottle of fuel system cleaner a couple times a year.
    as well as keeping your spark plugs fresh, and your wires cap and rotor fresh as well.
    do all that,
    and your engine will run as well as is possible.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

There is a very small exception to the rule. On old, high milage engines, carbon deposits on the pistons can cause an engine to need slightly higher octane than 87. This is most common on carburated cars though. Just thought I'd through that out there. For the other 99.9% of people and all Galant drivers, just use the cheap stuff from a reputible fueling station.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

gotendbz1
    yea thought so, i was on emtpy and freakign gas station only had 93 so i was liek wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    nah you will only become less fuel effiecient, and get less mileage from high octane gas, if your ecu isn't designed to advance timing to take advantage of the greater resistance to detonation.
    the best thing you cna do is run only 87 octane... never anythign else.
    preferably from a place like chevron shell or BP that have detergents in their fuel,
    keep a fresh fuel filter,
    and drop in a bottle of fuel system cleaner a couple times a year.
    as well as keeping your spark plugs fresh, and your wires cap and rotor fresh as well.
    do all that,
    and your engine will run as well as is possible.
    i dont know, my uncle got the highest you can get before we had the car tested and that gas lasted longer the regular gas, which is odd and speaking of which i need to get some gas :?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

The 87 will combust more violently than the 91-93 and therefor produce more power, but most engines have low octane maps that pull alot of timing out to prevent detonation. The advantage of the higher octane is that the ecu will run a higher output spark and fuel map, and if your running a high compression engine the premium will resist the pre-ignition that will quickly destroy an engine.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 98ACR
    There is a very small exception to the rule. On old, high milage engines, carbon deposits on the pistons can cause an engine to need slightly higher octane than 87. This is most common on carburated cars though. Just thought I'd through that out there. For the other 99.9% of people and all Galant drivers, just use the cheap stuff from a reputible fueling station.
    well not all galant drivers... '99+ v6's REQUIRE at premium. owners manual says so, fuel door says so.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    The 87 will combust more violently than the 91-93 and therefor produce more power, but most engines have low octane maps that pull alot of timing out to prevent detonation. The advantage of the higher octane is that the ecu will run a higher output spark and fuel map, and if your running a high compression engine the premium will resist the pre-ignition that will quickly destroy an engine.
    again, this is only true if your vehicle ecu is eqipped with kncock dependant timing advance/retard.

7g galants are not equipped with this unless its a 94 GS

Luke
    as far as mileage being better, if it nominal mileage was in fact better, the difference in price would make the REAL mileage be less.

on older motors ones that have carbon deposits,
    the carbon creates hotspots on the piston surface.lawnmowers are the same way.
    these hotspots can cause the mixture to predetonate.
    higher octane fuels woudl resist this detonation, but i wodl rather just clean the cylinders out with some combustion chamber cleaner and stay with the cheap pump..

1994 Galant GS-Turbo