The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does New Intake get better mileage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

Does New Intake get better mileage

Does a new aftermarket performance intake give you better mileage?

Yes, it should. You might not notice a huge difference but an intake will help your engine breathe better which will give you better gas milage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradley1997)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, it should. Â*You might not notice a huge difference but an intake will help your engine breathe better which will give you better gas milage.</div>

I actually have heard the opposite, that it will give you worse mileage... After i've gotten mine i've noticed a slight decline, but that could also be because I am abusing it more

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    What? No it wont. Why would it? THink about it. You are taking in more air then before and making more power. More power = more gas...
    7g for life!

don't forget about all the gas you tend to waste when you want to make the intake scream just for kicks.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

When I got my Intake and exhaust done I noticed that I got 2 more miles to the gallon. Not much but I closely watch that stuff. Maybe it's because I keep my foot off the gas a little bit more.

i get better gas milage since i put mine in.

I don't know if it was necessarily the intake, but with my headers and custom piping it went up at least 2 miles/gallon. Less restrictive air flow will most definately increase fuel economy.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

<----- worse...
    www.anti-rice.com

lasthopeskrispy: so i was fucking this guy in the ass over the weekend and you know what he decides to do....he reaches around and cups my balls. I was like hey what a fag!

umm, i have a dp, cai, and full straight pipe/ true race muffler. i have AWFUL gas mileage. more air = more fuel = less miles per gallon. you guys that think your mileage got better are kidding yourselves. you can't have more power and better mileage at the same time unless you are watching an infomercial.

I have gotten worse gas mileage but that is prally because I keep hitting the gas wanting to hear the intake scream. That is the reason why the gas mileage goes up. The increases air makes the fuel thoroughly burn and burn better hence the more power. But I think that the only reason is because we seem to hit the pedal harder and waste more gas.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Reelaxis right. Aftermarket intake is less restrictive giving more air to the engine. The MAS see that increase in airflowing through and tells the ECU it needs more fuel. Effictively increasing the power. You guys saying you get better gas mileage must be babying the throttle compared to before.

Think about a turbo setup. It forces more air into your engine therefore the MAS tells the ECU it needs more fuel. The bigger the turbo, the more air it pushes, the more fuel it burns, the more power you make. That is the basic concept of making power.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>don't forget about all the gas you tend to waste when you want to make the intake scream just for kicks.</div>

Exactamundo!!! This is the reason why my gas milage went down. I checked it before and after the intake installation.

just b/c you have more power doesn't mean you can't have better gas mileage. the more power you have, the less you have to step on the gas to go a normal speed. It takes less rpm's to gain speed faster. Wouldn't that mean as long as you are driving like a normal person and not a race car driver that you will get better mileage. That's just what I think tho.

Um I personally recieve worse on my first ebay intake.. i switched with a bigger eclipse intake and got better... and i have exhaust...

get about 475miles per tank.. filled up i think its like 13.2 gallons

I just switched intakes like 3 weeks ago

I drive 47.1 to work and 47.1 from work everyday.. I fill up sunday night at the same gas station... I drive to and from work starting monday and on friday on the way home my gas light comes on and i usually get all the way home LOL and fill up when i leave the next day... I have been doing this routine for the past 4 months.. when i switched my intake i notice on the ride home friday.. no light... tripped me out.. i though something was wrong with my car...

Now this is just my experience i know all cars are different.. but trust me my light comes on almost same time every friday going home.... i never drive anywhere else... if i do i use my cousins car...

Saturdays is when i do my un accounted for driving miles cuzz i fill up sunday nights....

So I would have though my gas mileage would have sucked with bigger intake but it proved me wrong... weird... And i am a moderate driver i rarely punch it.. even in stop and go on the freeway lol i cruse to freeway speeds after coming from a stop... people get mad but i dont really give a rats a$$... LOL
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

TGC Regular
    Highway miles is different. When I put my intake in, my gas mileage went down for normal city driving, however when I was going to NC I got about 350 miles on full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by chromed_out_galant
    just b/c you have more power doesn't mean you can't have better gas mileage. the more power you have, the less you have to step on the gas to go a normal speed. It takes less rpm's to gain speed faster. Wouldn't that mean as long as you are driving like a normal person and not a race car driver that you will get better mileage. That's just what I think tho.
    unless your transmission is slipping, your speed in a given gear will always b the same at a given rpm; these numbers are locked together. for instance at 6250rpm in 1st you will b going 45mph. that will never change unless you change your gearing ratios. so your idea of less rpm's to reach a certain speed is not physically possible.

not to prove that I get better mileage, I've noticed that my rpms went down to 3500 at 90mph as compared to 4000 at the same speed w/ a new stock filter. maybe more air = less stress to engine = lower rpms = better gas mileage??

Reelax... I never knew that. I don't know. Seems to me like it's different when I'm driving but I stand corrected.

cai gas mileage

with my setup, header, flex pipe, hiflow cat, injen cai, 2 1/4' piping to a high flow muffler, i actually do bad in the city, but on the freeway, on the long run, my i-4 8g runs really good, close to over 320 miles per tank! when running stock, i was only averaging 299-305 miles per tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast