The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: horsepower question

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    my friend and i were discussing about horsepower.
    Lets put it this way,if you have 130whp,how many horsepower do you have at the crank?
    Is there a way that you can get that aswer?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Auto or 5spd? Auto would probably be 160hp, 5spd probably 150hp at the crank. Just guesstimates.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant
    my friend and i were discussing about horsepower.
    Lets put it this way,if you have 130whp,how many horsepower do you have at the crank?
    Is there a way that you can get that aswer?
    depends on ur transmision. multiply whp by 1.3 for an auto tranny and 1.20 for a manual to get hp at the crank. these are estimates of course.

also note that vehicle manufacturers overestimate and underestimate hp all the time.

for instance.. on the skyline they said it has what? 320hp from the factory. then you put it on a dyno and it read like 350whp?
    they underate to get prefered insurance rates so they will have more potential byers.

or how about like a civic si. they overrate those so that they are more appealing to the buyers who want a sporty car with more power. but put that car on the dyno and it makes no where near that.

its not jsut about where the measurement is taken.

so you and your friends discusion... really won't go anywhere. its jsut going to be pure speculation

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    also note that vehicle manufacturers overestimate and underestimate hp all the time.

for instance.. on the skyline they said it has what? 320hp from the factory. then you put it on a dyno and it read like 350whp?
    they underate to get prefered insurance rates so they will have more potential byers.
    or how about like a civic si. they overrate those so that they are more appealing to the buyers who want a sporty car with more power. but put that car on the dyno and it makes no where near that.

its not jsut about where the measurement is taken.

so you and your friends discusion... really won't go anywhere. its jsut going to be pure speculation
    A lot of the Manufacturers of performance turbo cars purposely heatsoak the FMIC to lower the numbers for insurance purposes. I know they did it with the SRT4, they dyno higher then the crank HP rating from the factory(or close to).
    7g for life!

add to that that remember in japan, for many years they had a "gentlemens' agreement" that they would not build factory cars over 276hp. so for a while there were alot of 276hpcars... GTO, skyline, supra. none of these cars dynoed under 300hp when tested. there are also racing homologation limits as to why they rate their cars lower than reality... rating a car stock at over certain points can bump your car into the next class as far as racing categorization.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    it's also all about your powerband. someone's dynochart that looks like an upside down V with 130whp is gonna get raped by a car with a flat powerband pushing 100whp
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd