The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 Speed Swap Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 38
    Calipso
    <div align="center"><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Calipso's 5-Speed Swap Journal</span></div>

Install Date: 11/19/06

Parts:

-2001 Eclipse RS Transmission (32k miles on it)
    -Slave Cylinder
    -Master Cylinder
    -Shifter Cables
    -Shifter Assembly
    -Sachs clutch (1-2k miles on it)
    -Pressure plate
    -Stock flywheel
    -Brake + Clutch Pedal
    -All bolts, nuts, fun stuff. Bought from Customgalant99 for &#036;800

-3 Quarts of Syncroshift Tranmission Fluid
    and
    -Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings &#036;50 total shipped from RoadRaceEngineering.com

-3G Eclipse Short Shifter &#036;20 eBay

- ONE SS CLUTCH LINE (EAR-63010112ERL)
    and
    - TWO SS CLUTCH LINE ADAPTER (EAR-989545ERL) &#036;30 total shipped from SummitRacing.com

-Gas to NJ round-trip to pick up transmission. &#036;50

Additonal optional parts:

-Addco rear swaybar. &#036;135 shipped from shox.com

-Viper 791XV Remote Start/Alarm &#036;220 shipped from CustomGalant99

-Rear Motor Mount, Front Roll Motor Mount &#036;50 picked up from CustomGalant99

Everything is ready to go. Reason for not buying new clutch/pressure plate combo. The clutch that came with the transmission has low miles. I dont' plan on turboing until mid 2008. I have no reason for a real strong aftermarket clutch right now. I'm going to burn this one out by that time or heck, if I don't shift like an ass it could last longer. I needed new motor mounts as my car rattles like it's having a seizure at a stop. I should get side motor mounts, but I'll wait till december to pick them up.

Any input is apperciated. I will take pictures of all the parts tommorow. Lucky enough, CustomGalant99 individually bagged the bolts according to location etc. Much easier than throwing them in a paper sack and saying here.

You are lucky if i wouldve known i wouldve picked up that tranny from Maurice my self :firedevil: , i drove to his house the day after you and i was just a little late. Luck guy. Good luck, cant wait to see the end result.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Wow you paid &#036;50 for shifter bushings? Are they metal?
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Seth I think he got the bushings and the fluid for &#036;50. If its the same bushings as mine they are just very hard urethane. Just a piece of advice, if this is a junk yard tranny which I will assume it is, before you go off filling it with expensive gear oil, fill it first with just 2 quarts of the cheapest stuff you can find, drive it for like 10 miles with that, then change it just to get any debris and crap out of there. Then fill it with the expensive stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Legal4Now
    thats the same day nintendo WII comes out i cant wait , good luck
    i wanna five speed my 8g one day

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    Seth I think he got the bushings and the fluid for &#036;50. If its the same bushings as mine they are just very hard urethane. Just a piece of advice, if this is a junk yard tranny which I will assume it is, before you go off filling it with expensive gear oil, fill it first with just 2 quarts of the cheapest stuff you can find, drive it for like 10 miles with that, then change it just to get any debris and crap out of there. Then fill it with the expensive stuff.
    I don't know the whole history behind the tranny, I'm actually going to ask Maurice himself tonight if he's available. That's pretty good advice to use junk oil for the ride home. (From NJ to MA)

Then when I get home, I can just put in the good stuff. Thanks for the advice Stewi, I would have never thought of it like that. The tranny though was pulled straight out of Customgalant99's ride the day I came down to get it. So I don't know if there will be any random debris or mess from the syncro's in it. I'm actually going to clean out the transmission a little tommorow with some rags.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Wow you paid &#036;50 for shifter bushings? Are they metal?
    The ES bushings and Syncroshift fluid is what costs &#036;50. (&#036;50 shipped that is.) &#036;29 for the oil, &#036;15 for the bushings and &#036;6 for shipping.

Not too bad, saves me seperate trips from eBay and to custom shops in the area. They placed my order less than 12 hours after I made the email transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by GaLaNtKeV99
    You are lucky if i wouldve known i wouldve picked up that tranny from Maurice my self :firedevil: , i drove to his house the day after you and i was just a little late. Luck guy. Good luck, cant wait to see the end result.
    Actually, Unlimited was hunting after this same transmission. The second I talked to Maurice about it via PM, I ran down to the bank and grabbed &#036;1,500 from them. &#036;800 for the tranny, &#036;220 for the alarm and the rest will be used for additonal parts/labor and goodies for the Galant.

I also may be getting a new paintjob this spring. As much as I like the Green color of my Galant, I'm thinking of going for a nice jet black. :D

lucky man. I wont get my swap done til next summer. (hopefully) I expect a full coverage on this swap dude. Imma need it for my install.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Calipso
    I'm going to be taking pics of my parts tommorow, I'll also be bringing the camera and a clean memory card on the 19th (For the swap and the 19th Tri-state meet).

I'm pretty sure Zobgel will also be on hand to take pictures. I'd like to thank Roman for setting this up though. :)

Calipso
    Anyone know any websites that carry Shifter Cable Bushings? I can't locate any, and the only places that do are on eBay and it's only for 1G, 2G and Talon's.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    DUde, i have about 30 of them things, i'll send you a couple just pay the shipping.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    DUde, i have about 30 of them things, i'll send you a couple just pay the shipping.
    YGPM

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    After a short talk with Roman, I've come to conclussion that I won't need to flush out my tranny. It was taken right out of Maurice's car, and he had drained it himself. So it wasn't like the thing was sitting for a while or there was any metal shavings from the gear syncro's. So thats probably &#036;15 I'm saving right there.

I'm pretty glad I got the transmission while I did, I've been pretty hyped up about next week. I also just placed an order through shox.com for the Addco rear sway bar. From reading previous about people's previous experiences I probably won't get it for another 10-14 days. No biggie, but something I figured I may as well do before the winter time. Almost like a birthday/christmas gift to myself.

congratz..Trust me you'll enjoy it!!!! are you going to install the clutch pedal and all that? and drill out the hole b4 u take it to the shop? If u need any help or part numbers let me know i just did mine recently
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by Calipso
    I don't know the whole history behind the tranny, I'm actually going to ask Maurice himself tonight if he's available. That's pretty good advice to use junk oil for the ride home. (From NJ to MA)

Then when I get home, I can just put in the good stuff. Thanks for the advice Stewi, I would have never thought of it like that. The tranny though was pulled straight out of Customgalant99's ride the day I came down to get it. So I don't know if there will be any random debris or mess from the syncro's in it. I'm actually going to clean out the transmission a little tommorow with some rags.
    The ES bushings and Syncroshift fluid is what costs &#036;50. (&#036;50 shipped that is.) &#036;29 for the oil, &#036;15 for the bushings and &#036;6 for shipping.

Not too bad, saves me seperate trips from eBay and to custom shops in the area. They placed my order less than 12 hours after I made the email transaction.
    Actually, Unlimited was hunting after this same transmission. The second I talked to Maurice about it via PM, I ran down to the bank and grabbed &#036;1,500 from them. &#036;800 for the tranny, &#036;220 for the alarm and the rest will be used for additonal parts/labor and goodies for the Galant.

I also may be getting a new paintjob this spring. As much as I like the Green color of my Galant, I'm thinking of going for a nice jet black. :D

As far the condition i did what stewi said when i purchased the trans and when i droped the trans i did clean it out ....ive been out for a few days sick so i couldnt reply to anything really but im back now if youre lucky ill try to at least be there for the meet ......well Calipso i got a little project coming up soon for the new g custom build i may even repair this one if the deal goes through this weekend good luck and have fun
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT
    congratz..Trust me you'll enjoy it!!!! are you going to install the clutch pedal and all that? and drill out the hole b4 u take it to the shop? If u need any help or part numbers let me know i just did mine recently
    Unfortunately I can't mess with the master cylinder/pedals before I come down. I have ZERO days off from work/school. And the time I do have off is after 4pm where I have no light and no availablity to get some shop/garage time from my g/f's cousin.

Roman said he'd do it quick for me if I had the dash disassembled, everything ready.

Quote Originally Posted by customgalant99
    As far the condition i did what stewi said when i purchased the trans and when i droped the trans i did clean it out ....ive been out for a few days sick so i couldnt reply to anything really but im back now if youre lucky ill try to at least be there for the meet ......well Calipso i got a little project coming up soon for the new g custom build i may even repair this one if the deal goes through this weekend good luck and have fun
    Yea, I got your PM. You got one back btw. As for the project, let me know man.....and your ASS needs to come to the meet. No if's, and's or buts.

Calipso
    Transmission was swapped, fun times. Run over the CAI, having a problem since EVERY dealership won't touch my ECU to reprogram it. Idiots, I explain to them what I did and what I need done and they don't understand.

I talked to them like 8 year olds and they still can't figure out what to do and then said no.

what do you need to get tone as far as the dealer maybe i can get my dealership to do it for you through pep boys and schedule a day to get it done let me know
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by customgalant99
    what do you need to get tone as far as the dealer maybe i can get my dealership to do it for you through pep boys and schedule a day to get it done let me know
    I apperciate it man, but I can't come down to NYC or Jersey again for a while. It's a long drive and some gas money for an annoying light that I will deal with for a little while. I'll just pop the bulb out of the gauge cluster for now.

Why didn't you answer your phone on sunday? Thought you were coming to the meet.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

So do you need that auto ecu immobilizer? For now I hear black electrical tape works well for those lights. I have an SRS light on because my passenger seat isnt where the airbag computer thinks it should be.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yah Electrical tape covers my CEL pretty good :)
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast