The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2001 5sp swap only!!!

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    8G_GTZ
    Yes, before you read this, I have read ALL posts on tranny swaps, parts lists, etc. but this post will help clarify and put together a highly detailed tranny swap for me and future members.

The only difference I have read up on for the 2001 from the other years is that you need to get the CEL erased and reset from the dealer. Now, are htere any other modifications needed to be done other than that and drilling holes for the hydrolic lines and clutch pedal? I want to make this as smooth as possible when it gets done and I need it done in a day or a weekend. This is the only car I have and I'm not bumming rides from people. If needed, people with 2000's that have done the swap also read this and please put together an ENTIRE list from tranny to bolt of parts needed for this swap. If any pics are needed to be posted to explain things please feel free to post them.

I've got the 2001 V6 model if that makes any difference in parts.

Thanks ahead of time guys, I highly appreciate this and you guys helping me over the years, but this is a very big deal to a car that is my daily driver and I've never done anything really bigger and time staken other than suspension.

Steve

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8G_GTZ
    Yes, before you read this, I have read ALL posts on tranny swaps, parts lists, etc. but this post will help clarify and put together a highly detailed tranny swap for me and future members.
    The only difference I have read up on for the 2001 from the other years is that you need to get the CEL erased and reset from the dealer. Now, are htere any other modifications needed to be done other than that and drilling holes for the hydrolic lines and clutch pedal? I want to make this as smooth as possible when it gets done and I need it done in a day or a weekend. This is the only car I have and I'm not bumming rides from people. If needed, people with 2000's that have done the swap also read this and please put together an ENTIRE list from tranny to bolt of parts needed for this swap. If any pics are needed to be posted to explain things please feel free to post them.

I've got the 2001 V6 model if that makes any difference in parts.

Thanks ahead of time guys, I highly appreciate this and you guys helping me over the years, but this is a very big deal to a car that is my daily driver and I've never done anything really bigger and time staken other than suspension.

Steve
    search...there are tons of threads with this info

by the way the pic in your sig looks awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Come on Mr Steve, get out the service manual and look. Theres not going to be a difference between i4 and v6 parts other then the part numbers themselves.
    7g for life!

Calipso
    It just sounds like he's too lazy to look. I found the V6 5-speed conversion thread, but I won't post it on principle. If a dummy like me can find it, a lazy person like you can.

OPEN YOUR EYES!
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Give him a break...

"Look at my register date. I actually had to reset my name 3x so, add another year. I'm on here all of the time, at least 2x/day. STFU. I miss things like anyone else would." Steve.

Ok

1. Do you or can you get a hold of a lift? From the past tranny swaps Ive heard and read about that attempting to do this with out a lift is like going at it with an adjustable wrench.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    Give him a break...

"Look at my register date. I actually had to reset my name 3x so, add another year. I'm on here all of the time, at least 2x/day. STFU. I miss things like anyone else would." Steve.
    Being on here another year would give him another year of common sense to do a search.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS2000
    Ok

1. Do you or can you get a hold of a lift? From the past tranny swaps Ive heard and read about that attempting to do this with out a lift is like going at it with an adjustable wrench.
    Theres absolutely no need for a lift.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I helped blueice do his without a lift. I'm also kind of thinking that a list by year needs to be put together because there are a few things I'm still shakey about with my '01 V6.

As I understand it this is my base parts list.

V6 eclipse 5spd manual # F5M51, there is a 1 and a 2 listed of this varient, whats the difference.
    Clutch pedal and master cylinder, pretty self explanitory
    Clutch slave
    Engine plate
    MT tranny perches
    An MT starter
    Clutch lines
    Clutch
    A new or resurfaced flywheel
    Do I need new axles, or do I remember right and not need them
    Auto ECU Immobilizer?
    Hardware, whats involved with this, will I need new flywheel bolts, what about tranny perch bolts, Is there any hardware that I should need for the clutch pedal, howabout the slave cylinder mounting
    Shifter cables, again is there a guide that goes through the firewall that is seperate from these or can it not be removed
    Shifter base, and gear selector, is there any hardware that could possibly not be shipped with this that I might need to know about

See there are some specifics that need to be clarified with the swap, what about the '02-'03 models, what is needed for them that is different. I think a new ecu was mentioned.

We need to make this super easy, so one can just go to the tutorial and find their year, I believe its divided up '99-'00, '01, '02-'03 and find everything and I mean everything. I'll be glad to help once I start on my swap, I'll contribute everything I can, hardware lists anything. But this needs to become less experimentation and more tried and true. It needs to be set up like a shop manual, exept without all the cross refrancing.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

hats off to you gentlemen! :shock:
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

I just think it needs to be more clear and precise, get this this this and this and your golden. I think thats the main issue people have with doing the swap, thier just kinda afraid to ask because they'll get the search treatment.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    I just think it needs to be more clear and precise, get this this this and this and your golden. I think thats the main issue people have with doing the swap, thier just kinda afraid to ask because they'll get the search treatment.

Ya but the Tut is right there in the open for everyone to read, there are only 2 different types of setups for the 5psd swap.

I mean what more can you need? The damn thing has a parts list, instructions, and hell it even has some pictures.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I know there is alot of information, and I'm not totally condoning this thread, but there still are some area's that havent been covered yet such as a complete hardware list, and I thought there where 3 seperations. Which proves my point about the fact that there are some grey areas that need to be flattened out.

Such as what exactly does the auto ecu immobilizer do.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Man half that stuff can be googled. Im pretty sure if you open google and type in galant 5spd or tranny swap and it will lead you str8 to one of the posts here or on a DSM site where it also has been done and posted over and over again. Also think about it. IMMOBILIZER! which can also be googled.

Its all about the research my son, Though researching and reading I have learned all the things i know about my car and continue to learn more when i read. All the tutorials are there it just takes a lil reading and understanding what you are reading to really get the basis of the whole thing.
    Everyone has their own certain way of doing things, that is why you must read the tutorials and figure out which way would be best for you.

Well, as they say in the movies.

Wax on Wax off
    Knowledge is Power

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Might as awell answer his questions, then post the meaningful info in the original swap thread

My point is that for me info has trickled in, I have a guess at what that auto ecu immobilizer does, but I dont know for sure, when I got on this site a couple weeks ago was the first time I heard about it. Stuff like that is what kind of scares me about the swap.

I'm not trying to fight anyone with this, but I think the tutorials need to be clarified a little bit.