The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Carbon Trunk questions

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    So yeah, seriously thinking about picking one up soon....i was wondering though, does the license plate light still work with the carbon fiber trunk? What about the trunk release cable, will that still be able to work? I have been reading that it takes some work to get it sitting flush, what exactly is involved?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    pm jaydee or someone with it i know he had to put in lights for the license plates not sure of the other stuff but i would imagine the trunk release would work as long as you hook it up

license plate light mounts on the garnish and the garnish doesnt fit so u have to rig the light to stay up there. There is space for it.. The trunk cable stuff will stay but u might have to mount the wires a little different as all the stock holes for the clips are not present..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

i have a VIS CF trunk lid and 2 seperate plate lights... i had to take the clear cover off both... they snap right into place on it... as for the trunk release cable... i have my key lock installed with that and had to extend the small piece about an inch to make it work, but it's pretty much plug and play... and you are going to need the rear garnish... either get a world spec garnish, the civic garnish like mrjaydeeone has, or you can mold 2 USDM together like i did...

I didn't use the stock plate light. I have LEDS to light up my plate. Like thebirdman said, I used a 05 civic coupe garnish, which fit just about perfectly. As far as the trunk release, that all mounts up just fine. I have remote trunk release so I didn't need the keyhole or the lock. As far as making it fit flush, you have to work with the bracket that's mounted at the bottom of the trunk, under the plastic trim. You have to offset that latch to A) get the trunk to lock properly, and B) sit flush. You do this by adding washers and longer bolts. It's hard to say how many washers you need to add, as I believe it took each of us with a CF trunk a different amount. Hope this helps ya.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman13
    i have a VIS CF trunk lid and 2 seperate plate lights... i had to take the clear cover off both... they snap right into place on it... as for the trunk release cable... i have my key lock installed with that and had to extend the small piece about an inch to make it work, but it's pretty much plug and play... and you are going to need the rear garnish... either get a world spec garnish, the civic garnish like mrjaydeeone has, or you can mold 2 USDM together like i did...

What is this garnish you speak of? Are you talking about the chrome "galant' plaque? Please post a pic. ViS told me I'll be needing a JDM lightbar when I get my trunk from them. Is this what they meant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwerkz
    What is this garnish you speak of? Are you talking about the chrome "galant' plaque? Please post a pic. ViS told me I'll be needing a JDM lightbar when I get my trunk from them. Is this what they meant?
    That is correct. The Piece that says galant on it.

Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition