The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rear disc brake conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    pic taken from a post on club3g by Napalm

thats all that I need right. whats seen in the pic to the left. I mean I know that I need the right and left sides.
    and rotors and pads, and brake lines.
    that's it right??
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

good thing you brought this up.. I too are planning to do this conversion in the next couple of months. do we need the hub assemblies also?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

here's a simplified list of what u need. most of it you mentioned or i can see in the picture

Rear GT calipers
    e-brake assembly
    Brake lines (should upgrade to SS lines)
    e-brake Cables
    Rear Backing plates
    Rear rotors
    Rear brake pads

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yeah that's what I thought. Thanks Pinoy. I was just trying to figure it out by the picture so the person that's looking for me can just go by that, and the whole assemblies

2001 Galant ES

Honestly JD... I used my stock ebrake lines... they fitted with out dremeling straight into the backing plate no problem...

Also man dont buy a kit from those guys on 3g... go to the junk yard and get the stuff yourself.. .it will be cheaper i got my whole brake setup.. with caliprs and rotors for 100 for both... lol off a v6 galant... and they took it off for me i just tipped 15 bucks..
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

^^yeah I know whatcha mean. I was looking at the ones that were for sale on club3g. They were like over 300 shipped. And I was constantly talked out of them, and told not too be lazy and just pick them up myself. Honestly everytime I have been to the junk yards around my way I haven't seen any 8gs or 3gs.

2001 Galant ES

jay do you plan on keeping the stock rotors or upgrading them.. because if you plan on getting new rotors maybe the junkyard will knock the price down if you leave the stock rotors there

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

I think temporarily would be using the stock rotors and pads if they are in decent shape. And then when I have some more money together upgrading them

2001 Galant ES

Its funny Jay cuzz when i did the conversion... I kept the whole assembly i took off the v6 and just bolted it up to my car i didnt do swaps... which made it even easier... I cleaned and painted all the pieces and just bolted them up... was very easy and straight swap nothing custom I had to do...

Quote Originally Posted by pLUGSNEt
    Its funny Jay cuzz when i did the conversion... I kept the whole assembly i took off the v6 and just bolted it up to my car i didnt do swaps... which made it even easier... I cleaned and painted all the pieces and just bolted them up... was very easy and straight swap nothing custom I had to do...
    that's what I am hoping to be able to do also. Just paint the calipers and swap 1 assembly out for the other.

2001 Galant ES

Yeah just sand down the rust if any and repaint them engine black... and your good to go...

Yeah just sand down the rust if any and repaint them engine black... and your good to go...
    yeah and I am going to paint the calipers aluminum to match the my fronts

2001 Galant ES

you dont need the e brake assembly or cable.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali
    you dont need the e brake assembly or cable.
    yeah I read that somewhere. thanks Noel

2001 Galant ES

Honestly JD... I used my stock ebrake lines... they fitted with out dremeling straight into the backing plate no problem...

Also man dont buy a kit from those guys on 3g... go to the junk yard and get the stuff yourself.. .it will be cheaper i got my whole brake setup.. with caliprs and rotors for 100 for both... lol off a v6 galant... and they took it off for me i just tipped 15 bucks..

Hey Plugs, Where did you get the breaks from? Do you know if they have another V6 G there? I would also like to do the swap.

ATL...

Quote Originally Posted by atl_galant
    Hey Plugs, Where did you get the breaks from? Do you know if they have another V6 G there? I would also like to do the swap.

ATL...

Um well i got it from a junkyard in decatur... off candler road behind the bank of america... they might... they had a total of 3 galants 99-03's their... only one had rear discs... but they might have another now... I dont remember what the yard was called but let me think of it... i believe i found it on yellowpages.com... look for junkyards in that area...

so would all we need from a v6 g would be the calipers and backing plates, and brake lines? If I did this I would get new rotors and pads, and if we can use our 4cyl brake lines I'd just do that. Correct me if im wrong!

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevelle71_05
    so would all we need from a v6 g would be the calipers and backing plates, and brake lines? If I did this I would get new rotors and pads, and if we can use our 4cyl brake lines I'd just do that. Correct me if im wrong!
    you cant use the 4 cyl brake lines from the drums,yea just those 3 things but chances are JY won't just sell the backing plate's by themselves your probably gonna end up with an extra set of hub bearings/spindles,you could turn the rotors that came off the salvage save your self some $$$ and just get new pads

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevelle71_05
    you cant use the 4 cyl brake lines from the drums,yea just those 3 things but chances are JY won't just sell the backing plate's by themselves your probably gonna end up with an extra set of hub bearings/spindles,you could turn the rotors that came off the salvage save your self some $$$ and just get new pads

OH58Driver
    Hello,
    I have a 2011 Galant with rear drum brakes, can anyone please help me with what I need to do to convert it to a rear disc? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast