The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing belt.

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    well, Its about time to change the timing belt on my second motor. it has about 67,000 miles so Im up.

what do I need to change my timing belt? Do I just need the belt or are there any extra parts I need to replace?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

timing belt, balance shaft belt. while you're at it, i say your acessory belts, the tensioner/pulleys if u want, water pump quite possibly.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You absolutely should replace: Timing belt, balance shaft belt, Auto tensioner. If the water pump was replaced when the motor was replaced, its not absolutely critical to replace, but IMO since you have everything off, spend the extra $100 and get a new water pump(mannybrew will tell you to skip it though ha).

Again if all the pulleys were replaced when the motor was put in, they arent absolutely necessary, but if they werent, just replace them. When I did my timing belt I replaced everything, all the pulleys, auto tensioner, water pump, bs belt, timing belt.
    7g for life!

cool. thx fellas.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Will you be doing it yourself?

no, my uncle's mechanic will. I don't have the right tools to do this. But I need to buy the parts.

ah ic. Lucky.

BXANP84
    What is the time interval for the timing belt. My service manual says every 100,000 miles but the drivebelts is every 60,000 miles. I also asked my mechanic and he looked up too and it say 100,000 miles also. He also told me that the v-6 is a interfering engine. My car has 67,000 miles and i want to be sure at what point it needs to be changed.

if you have a fed spec they say 60k. if its a cali spec 100k. dunno exactly why.

i have a clai spec, changed the belt at 60k. didn't change the tensioners. well, it didn't matter if i did it at 60k or 100k cuz the tensioners failed at 80k and broke the belt. lessoned learned i guess.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Just get it replaced. Be on the safe side.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    lucky punk!!! well good luck with it..

Rastus
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    if you have a fed spec they say 60k. if its a cali spec 100k. dunno exactly why.

i have a clai spec, changed the belt at 60k. didn't change the tensioners. well, it didn't matter if i did it at 60k or 100k cuz the tensioners failed at 80k and broke the belt. lessoned learned i guess.
    This is exactly what brought me to the forum tonight. My maintenance schedule in the Warranty book for my '01 LS V6 says, Quote: "California, Massachusetts, and Vermont ONLY: Regular and severe schedules - It is recommended, but not required, to replace the timing belt and balancer (if equipped) at 60,000 mile intervals."

Later in the schedule it lists the timing belt at 100,000 miles, but has a footnote referring to that statement. Well, I don't live in any of those states, so is it saying not to worry about it until 100K?

I know what you say about playing it safe, but I am trying to figure out just what the hell that statement means. It's a well cared for car; do you think I should interpret it as stating 100K?
    Thanks