The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed question

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    THE-G
    i did the trany swap back in may now when im shifting gears sometimes (alot of the time) when i try to put the car in gear it grinds really bad i cant explain the noise its like nails on chalkboard almost and i cant seem to figure out why it does this. Could it be the tranny or the bushings on the shifter i have no clue how to resolve this please help

phizz2k
    Quote Originally Posted by THE-G
    i did the trany swap back in may now when im shifting gears sometimes (alot of the time) when i try to put the car in gear it grinds really bad i cant explain the noise its like nails on chalkboard almost and i cant seem to figure out why it does this. Could it be the tranny or the bushings on the shifter i have no clue how to resolve this please help

Well Iam only a few weeks into my new 5speed swap and I can only remember about 3 or 4 times that my gears started to grind, and it was mainly because I wasn't pressing the clutch in far enough or I wasn't paying attention and didn't place it into gear all the way...

Now I press the clutch all the way to the floor on every shift and balance the gas better so my engine dosen't rev up too much when Iam switching... Just my 2 cents...

THE-G
    it still grinds when i push it all the way to the floor even if i double pump the clutch it still grinds and i cant get it to go in to gear at all bc it grinds

might be your synchros.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Bleed the clutch. You need 2 people to bleed the clutch properly.
    7g for life!

THE-G
    u sure thats the problem?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If theres air bubbles in the line then the slave cant push the shift fork as far as it needs to go, cluthc wont fully disengage, will make it hard to get into gear. Bleed the clutch!

I got a set of speed bleeders for mine, I can bleed it by myself, but if you have hte stock bleeder, you need one person to pump and hold the pedal, the other to open/close the valve, repeat.
    7g for life!

THE-G
    thanx i will try it

Quote Originally Posted by THE-G
    thanx i will try it
    typically your synchros will only grind if you are doing somethign wrong, or the pedal/clutch is out of adjustment.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Bleed the clutch. You need 2 people to bleed the clutch properly.
    Yes bleed it,i got the same problem a few days ago,i bleed it and it works fine

yeah i had the same problem, but i bougt some BG synchro shift tranny fluid, adjusted my pedal lil better and it shifts like a porshe now, also, get some skateboard bearings for your shifting cables!!.
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    bleed your clutch properly and adjust the clutch pedal if needed.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

THE-G
    how do i adjust the pedal?