The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tic tock..this is how my galant rocks!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    mges2000

tic tock..this is how my galant rocks!

Ok my lifters are starting to tick. Does anyone know how to eliminate the noise from the lifters?

you can try doing a motor flush, then try you best to change your oil on time.
    i know that lifters go bad even if you are prefect on your oil change intervals, but letting your oil go black and get low is going to clog your lifters faster than you would ever believe.
    you could replace your lifters with 3 g lifters that will not tick, but you have to pull your cams(or cam) and rocker arms to do it.

the following link has a picture that will give you an idea of how easy it is to clog your lifters. the lifter on the right is your stock lifter. that tiny little pinhole is all you have to clog. on the left are the non ticking lifter, that will not clog.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

hopefully you change your own oil.

get some cheap oil and a cheap filter(enough to change your oil)$10, get a bottle of oil system cleaner $4(also called motor flush) and get good oil and a good filter $15-40(if you use synthetic.

1. get your motor up to operating temp, then change your oil as you would. using the cheap oil and filter

2 drive around for three or four miles(not hard, but enough to get it warmed up well enough)

3 get back to the crib, park your car and kill the motor then immediatly pour the entire bottle of oil system cleaner into your engine. start the car and let it run for ten minutes at idle. do not drive it.(now would be a good time to go ahead and jack it up so you can change your oil in the next step)

4. while its still hot, kill the motor and drain the oil and remove the cheap filter.

5. fill the engine with good oil and filter. start it, check your oil level, and you are good to go

your engine should run much smoother now. this is the only way i know of to salvage bad lifters, its not garunteed to work, but i do garuntee your engine will run better than it has in a long long time. its going to flush out all the nasty gunk, deposits and buildup that your engine has in it(sort of like cleaning all the resin out of your bong(except i wouldn't smoke it)) good luck i do this on every car i've bought on the first oilchange. don't do this more than once every 20,000 miles.

you can do this on any gasoline car/truck.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

when doing a search in the service manual for the galant the only 'lifters' it mentions are engine lifters, and by that it means a tool to lift the engine out of your car.

anyone care to shed some light on this part for me, or have another name for it.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i'm thinking it's the noise that most mitsu make.. the knocking noise right??

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken
    when doing a search in the service manual for the galant the only 'lifters' it mentions are engine lifters, and by that it means a tool to lift the engine out of your car.

anyone care to shed some light on this part for me, or have another name for it.
    They are referred to as lash adjusters. The sound produced by clogged lash adjusters is not a knocking sound, but a ticking sound.

Here is page that provides more insight to the function of the valve lash adjuster. http://www.vr4stealth.com/engine_lash_adjuster.htm

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Do the valves in the 6g72 Sohc require adjusting? I havent seen it on the mantanence schedule. My engine has a very light lifter tick. Wait I thought our engines didnt have lifters but just rollers that are attatched to the rocker arms that ride on the cam.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    5w-30.

Quote Originally Posted by neepar
    They are referred to as lash adjusters. The sound produced by clogged lash adjusters is not a knocking sound, but a ticking sound.

Here is page that provides more insight to the function of the valve lash adjuster. http://www.vr4stealth.com/engine_lash_adjuster.htm

thanks for clearing that up, i did read up on lash adjusters. i've just be doing repairs on my own so i'm not familiar with any shop terms. learning a lot from here as well.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k