The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '03 galants warranty? to buy or not to buy?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    j0seph
    So I just got my Galant and just realized the 3years of the bumper-to-bumper is coming to a close. Do you guys recommend extending it? For the powertrain I'm assuming the dealership will give me a discount cause it still has 2years on it. Good investment for the future?

Experienced TGC Member
    I remember i paid 800 for my extending warrenty when i got my car and it was waste of money. But you never know whats going to happen.

Calipso
    Double post.

i'd take a look at the terms and conditions on the extended warranty. see whats covered and whats not. that will help you to determine if its worth it or not. i was at the dealership and the one guy had this nice list of problems for his car that could quite possibly be covered under an extended warranty, including some mechanical problems but all the warranty covered was a loose trim piece on the door.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    i glad i took my extended warranty. Exteded it to 60K i think it was. In that time, i got new hidrolic pump for the breaking system, new tranny and a AC radiator. But then again, you never know what will happen.
    -Pedro

Calipso
    Back on-topic. I had several problems before my extended warranty ran out. My throttle body cable snapped, 2 o2 censors went out, cat converter popped (Covered under federal emissions warranty via mitsubishi) and other assorted fun times.

I'd get it if it's worth the cash.

99% of the time it's a waste of money... research it on consumer reports... they just did an article on this...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i would if its worth it, definatelly inquire about it, always better to be safe then sorry

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman13
    99% of the time it's a waste of money... research it on consumer reports... they just did an article on this...
    strongly agree... especially if you have any wrench turning ability yourself.

I am a firm beliver in extended warrantys. I've never had one not more than pay for itself. My 01 Galant just ran out of its extended warranty. It was good for 3 years and took me from 46,000 miles to 82,000. In that time it paid for:

Front Stuts
    Glove compartment door latch
    Tie rod ends
    Sway bar links front and rear
    Water pump
    Leaking valve cover gasket
    Lower control arms
    rear ball joints
    rear wheel bearings

It helped that the dealer was not afraid to look for things to charge to the warranty. Also on 2 occasions I had independant shops fix things and charge to the warranty. With the lower controls arms the dealer kept saying there was no problem with them. An independant shop replaced them when I suggested they were the problem and it fixed the problem that the dealer couldn't fix. My extended warranty on the Galant was through a company called Easy Care.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    ^^^^ where have you been? Welcome back

BOT: as everyone said read the warranty & make sure it covers what you want it to & not crap stuff that you could replace yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    ^^^^ where have you been? Welcome back
    Bought a Jeep Wrangler. Been hanging out on a jeep forum. Good to be missed though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keithert
    Bought a Jeep Wrangler. Been hanging out on a jeep forum. Good to be missed though.
    Ahhh...I,ve benn cutting in on the Infiniti forums too.