The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Going to BOOST IT ... what do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28
    Well i have finaly decided to boost the G... and i have found a few kits but this one looks the most complete ... do you see any thing missing? other parts i will need ( besides gauges ) ?? Looking for some honest help here , Thanks Guys!!

Psssssssssst Got Air???

TGC Regular
    is it one of those kits off ebay?

Calipso
    That's definately an ebay kit, seen that picture dozens of times.

Save your cash and keep an eye out for a tearstone kit or build a custom one.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya, dont waste your money on that. Better to build up one or like Calipso said and get a Tearstone Kit.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

well i have heard from other people ( ASE certified ) that the kit is ok but i may need to get a better FMIC , but the t3/t4 hybrid turbo and the exhaust mani is ok and i should be able to use some of the piping but i will most likely have to have some piping made the blow off valve is an ok one.

The big thing about my galant is that i do not drive it too much... this is mainly for show reasons that i am going to boost it... This car will never see a track ....

but i have also been told not to waste my $$ on this but no one has ever given me any actual reason why not to buy this one.... it is always dont get that one. You know what i mean ... has anyone actualy got this kit and installed it and had any real problems?

Psssssssssst Got Air???

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I just laugh when people say they do performance mods for show reasons. I think the whole show scene is whack and full of ricers trying to look cool. No offense towards your car, just the general show scened</rant>

As for that kit, it probably is "ok". Make sure you have hte manifold checked by a certified welder to make sure its welds are strong enough and that its braced correctly. Did y ou forget about fuel mods and tuning?
    7g for life!

boosting isnt for show, you boost for performance to go faster and even if its still just for show, seth is right remember the fuel and tuning mods otherwise your show car is gonna be in a lotta trouble. in all honestly if your boosting just for show, put that money towards a show mod. some other kid could use the kit to perform, prolly fuck up first time around but we all learn

speaking of tearstone i havent seen a kit sold on their site in a while

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brand1016
    boosting isnt for show, you boost for performance to go faster and even if its still just for show, seth is right remember the fuel and tuning mods otherwise your show car is gonna be in a lotta trouble. in all honestly if your boosting just for show, put that money towards a show mod. some other kid could use the kit to perform, prolly fuck up first time around but we all learn

speaking of tearstone i havent seen a kit sold on their site in a while
    ya i think his car is allready a show car... 8) boost or no boost

well i was just on Terestone and was looking for the turbo kits but didnt see any on there i guess ill have to look further

hey seth .. I know you hate the show scene but besides that i am just starting to get in to the proformance side of things , so i dont know too much about what it is i need to get as far as fuel mods, like new fuel rail , and management system etc.... yea i will be adding all that too, but i am going to look threw alot of the forums and old posts about that , i dont feel like getting slammed on here for not searching... as for tunning u mean getting it on a dyno? if so yea ill probally get it on a dyno once it is all in and running

there is also this kit from dougs dyno power
    4 cy kit. Mitsubishi 16g turbo with water and oil lines. Cast iron manifold with heat shield. O2 housing and down pipe adapter. Spearco sidemount intercooler, mandrel pipes, couplers, clamps, blow off valve. Mass air adapter, K&N cone filter and valve cover breather. In-tank fuel pump and FMU fuel pressure regulator. Boost and air fuel gauges. On 15 psi, the DDP 4 cy Turbo System will make 300 HP with suggested additions*.

Suggested Additions to the turbo system: Apex AFC fuel computer and RC injectors 360 cc units

Then there is this kit from Maxrev.comMax rev turbo kit

so again any help or suggestions are welcome....I think that the guys on here know more about the galants that anyone else so help me out ... ;-)

well after driving my boyz mp5 that is boosted and that is when i decided that i must have BOOST !! so i am someone who does want it ... and it will be nice to have at shows too.. there will be no track but i wil sure have fun driving it.. That is why i am asking what all i nned to do to make sure it is done right.. i dont want to do it half ass..... internals, fuel mgnt, etc... I dont want to break anything ... thanks again guys!

well after driving my boyz mp5 that is boosted and that is when i decided that i must have BOOST !! so i am someone who does want it ... and it will be nice to have at shows too.. there will be no track but i wil sure have fun driving it.. That is why i am asking what all i nned to do to make sure it is done right.. i dont want to do it half ass..... internals, fuel mgnt, etc... I dont want to break anything ... thanks again guys!

Psssssssssst Got Air???

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i say go for it as long as you will enjoy it, dont just waste your money for bragging rights at a show....i wouldnt go the ebay route because you would be spending nearly the same in the end anyway so you may as well just get the better kits....a few members of club 3g are using the 2 kits posted i would check on there about which ones better or not but from what i have read on them they both are good systems...but for the show reasons i would go with a fmic rather then side mount

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

As far as the tuning mentioned above, you will need bigger injectors and a higher volume fuel pump, the most popular being a walboro 255. A fuel and ignition computer will be needed to really get the most out of any system, and depending on how much boost is being run it may be absolutely required. In my personal opinion I dont think its worth going turbo unless you have the proper means to tune it, and a standalone computer would be the best for a full tune, but an emanage or the Apexi computer will work if your not depending on the car at all for transportation.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

The MaxRev kit looks descent. You would need bigger injectors as noted. Personally, I would stay away from FMUs and the Apexi SAFC. You can get an adjustable AFPR like the Aeromotive and get something like the MAFT Pro to tune. Wideband would be optional, but you would definitely need to get it tuned on a dyno with a wideband sniffer. Other then the lack of injectors in the kit(an extra &#036;200, or you could get 450cc DSM injectors for under &#036;100) and lack of tuning, looks like a solid kit.

Id stay away from the eBay kit unless you want to "make" the piping fit. Plus it doesnt come with a downpipe or anything.
    7g for life!

Call Tearstone on the phone. They're messing around with their website lately and a lot of stuff that's in-stock isn't listed and vice-versa.

However personally, since you are doing this for show more than anything, I suggest you look at the RIPP SDS kit. It uses a Vortech centerfugal supercharger. It looks like a turbo snail with a tube coming out of it and attaching to the belt system. All the hoses and such come in your choice of color and they'll polish it too. Prolly cost about the same as a good turbo and get you better performance than a turbo in the few situations where you would actually be driving the car instead of showing it (doesn't have to wait for exhaust to get moving to spin up the turbines). It looks cool and sits right at the front of the engine bay. If you ever DO decide to go nuts with the performance on it, this system can take upto 25 psi of boost on a 575hp engine. They also sell a sweet water/methanal injection boost cooler that can actually replace a clunky intercooler. Not the worst headers in the world from what I hear either.

This link will take you to the page with all the SOHC 6G72 parts they have. Oh wait. Do you even have a V6? lol...
    http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_...3&vehcId=15

this is what the kit looks like

and properly installed with Tearstone's SDS draw-through kit

cant remeber if your 5 speed or auto or not but you would also need a trans fluid cooler if you were auto

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Personally I hate centrafugal superchargers. Turbo or roots type, centi's are just to peaky.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Calipso
    Boosting for show isn't a wise opinion in my idea. I'd do it to get HP and go to the track or have fun. Speed for me is fun, not to show off.

Performance is for performance.
    Looks are for looks. I don't really see both of them intertwining.

They dont, unless you go to shows. You will get more points if you have a blingy turbo sittting in your engine bay. If your not willing to put the time and research into turboing your car, you should be doing it in the first place. Unless your having a shop install and tune it. If thats the case, you dont need to know anything, just take it to a shop, and take it to them when something goes wrong.
    7g for life!

no support for i4?

well there is a shop here in the springs i will be taking it to so i can make sure it is set up correct and to get it tunned.... I am just now in the starting stages of learning and getting everthing i need to make it reall run...

Mindwerkz- i have a 4cyl ... i had looked into a supercharger alread and there is not one for the 4 cyl....

Seth- ou are correct at show u get big points for motor work done that is one reason i want to boost but not the onl reason.. i dont want to be just "all show no go " when i do drive the galant i want to be able to run people and show them what my g is made of.... :firedevil: :firedevil: I am also going to do the 5speed trani swap too!

hope to have this all done by march

Psssssssssst Got Air???

Coming from the show circuit I undertand where he's coming from. you really do get a lot more points for a boosted or supercharged car. I would definately stick with a smaller turbo. Then you're just looking at fuel upgrades that have already been addressed, headers/exhaust, and some form of management. A decent install and tuning will still cost you a couple thousand just to give you an idea. If you keep the boost low you shouldn't have to worry about too many issues. Its when you start pushing the limits that you'll break something. I say go for it, but I hope its worth it. I would never install a turbo on my car unless I planned on racing it. I guess thats why I decided on a second car. Good luck man. You do have a nice lookin G.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast