The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How well does your G hook up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26
    Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

So I just recieved my CAI in the mail and proceeded to install it in 20 minutes(yes I timed myself) and I took her out for a test drive, I can definatly feel more power, the problem is it spins the tires far too much through 1st, I dunno if its the cold tempratures here or what, but how well do you guys hook up. I was spinning them significantly at a 20 roll, and from a dig traction was hopeless, and no I'm not running donuts for tires either. I took 5 psi out of the tires, and I'll see tomorrow how well that works.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Pft, I dont hook up in first or second, or third if I am coming out of a corner. I have an LSD insert too :(

Must get better tires! And a higher spooling turbo.

You v6 guys really cant hook up in first? Even on the slush box? Does it just spin at the lower RPMs and gain traction towards the top?
    7g for life!

with the hubs and shitty goodyears i could spin even in third( a little chirp). but with the new tires i can only get slight chirp in second. First is nothing but peel, that is when i'm heavy on the gas and lazy on the clutch.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Yeah with my Ventus RS-2's I can only get traction at about 5500 in first. I also get front end hop where the front just jumps up and down from wheelhop.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    That sucks, I just get straight lack of traction. And the traction doesnt come back in first, it just smokes the tires all the way up to 7500rpm lol. Second gear will gain traction at around 5500rpm. I so need better tires :(
    7g for life!

Even with r-comps this thing will grunt the tires loose from a dig. Once it gets going its alright, but after installing the intake my street tires dont have a prayer.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    i have never spun in a gear other than first, and even there i don't even spin really. i do get the wheel hop like you mentioned. my tires must just be really grippy? Kumho Ecsta 711's....didn't think they were that special?

i'm usually not one to waste rubber

who knows

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Have you guys graduated to solid poly motor mounts or still using the stock rubber ones? I noticed a significant decrease in wheel hop with the polyurethane mounts.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Have you guys graduated to solid poly motor mounts or still using the stock rubber ones? I noticed a significant decrease in wheel hop with the polyurethane mounts.
    No kidding, my deyeme mounts made a huge difference, car pulls really nice (well, for a NA Galant lol)

As far as spinning...I don't know here's my limited experience

-Old stock tires: sometimes screaming, shitty grip
    -16" wheels with Azenis tires: quitest year of my life, best grip ever
    -17" wheels with BFG tires and solid motor mounts: nice grip, once in a while chirps when you floor it, but gets grip fast and pulls really nice

All in all, it really depends on the tires. Those Azenis were the first tires that took my abuse like nothing.

Experienced TGC Member
    You lucky fuckers.... URGGHHHHH!!!! HAHA.. I can BARELY spin in my galant.. IF i turn hard right and punch it.. But im all stock with 215 series tires.. im doing pretty damn good ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    +1

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Whats the tread life on your tires like? When I was at like 75% tread life my tires started spinning, and it just got worse from there.

I solved it by getting some 17's with good tires (the 17's are not lightweight by any means), and some headers. Even with the headers I can still spin from a dig, but not nearly as bad.

it could just be the tires. im running 225/18 falken ziex512 and i also consistanly spin in first gear if i punch it. tires are only 1 yr old. i need some stickier rubber.

I'm on a set of Hankook Ventus RS-2's that I got in June mostly for autocross purpouses. They have a 200 treadware rating, and also have a few heat cycles through them from autocross events. They still grip very well through corners. It might just be the cold weather thats causing it, but man I'm having traction problems. Oh yeah, I have energy suspension engine mounts.

after my 5-speed swap i can make it churp in 2nd, ahhh what a great feeling, but if i launch at like 4Krpms i got ALOTTT of wheelhop deff gota get those poly mounts
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    When I first did my EVO swap, I had about 300whp, stock rims and tires, no LSD, stock motor mounts and an ACT2600 with full face disc, I could spin the tires thru 4th gear. Then I got the LSD and dyno'd the car to 370whp, still on the stock mounts and stock tires, I would spin first thru about 7,000RPMS ( I was shifting at 8500) I would spin 2nd until about 4500 and 3rd would be smooth sailing. I didnt install the solid mounts until a few weeks before my dyno tune of death, so I never had results after the mounts. However, on BFG 225/50/15 Drag radials with the LSD, after a nice burnout I would only spin first til 5000 and just chirp 2nd and 3rd but not break them free. It also depends on your suspension too, I had my TEINs set at the hardest setting in the back and the highest ride height to minimize the car from squating.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I got my all seasons put on today and the car responds like a dead cow, but it will only spin 'em to 4500 in first, but as I was going to get them put on I spun the hankooks all the way up to 6100 and a little in second, I think the compound was just getting too hard in this weather.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    one wheel burnouts.

Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    one wheel burnouts.
    Mine wont do that, its both or none.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    Mine wont do that, its both or none.
    I need a video to prove that. :P