The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63 swap how-to?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Well, since the trusty 4g64 is crowding 200k and starting to burn through oil at the rate of roughly 1 qt every 300 miles or so, I decided it's time for a new engine. When I called the engine supplier we use at work he quoted me $800 for a 4g64. For shits and giggles I asked how much for a complete 4g63T...and from MAS to Cat-Con it'd set me back $2k for a 50k mile engine. I'm seriously considering it, but before I do I tried to track down a tutorial for it but can't seem to find one. Am I just missing it, or does it not exist? I mean I KNOW it's been done, I just didn't see anything in the tutorials section.

Anyhoo... I know the following:

1. I have to wire in resistors for the high impedence injectors

2. I have to re-wire the fuel pump

3. I have to get a bit creative with the intake piping

4. I'll have to let an exhaust shop weld the exhaust back together.

What I don't know, but need to:

1. How does going from a distributor to coil pack work with the ECU/Wiring?

2. Same question about the knock sensor.

3. Any other hurdles/additional parts I might need that won't come with the engine?

The big trick is that this is now my ONLY car, so I can't have any big surprises. This would be a one-day blitz from tearing out the 4g64 to driving home the 4g63. Please help me out here guys. If I can't get this straightened out in about 4 weeks I'm just going to have to get another 4g64 because I'm moving soon and this all has to be resolved before the move. Thanks!
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Swap link: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index...showtopic=29874
    JiPs 2g ECU tut link: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index...showtopic=50307

1. You will have to swap ECUs. Since your a 98, your ECU connectors are the same as a 2g, just the wires are slightly different. I would 100% recommend using a 95 Eprom ECU, but any 2g turbo(FWD or AWD) ECU will work. Only difference between the FWD and AWD ECUs is that the AWD ECU does not have a speed limiter.

With the Eprom ECU, you can have the ECU socket and fitted with an Eprom chip from a reputable company like KeyDiver @ http://www.dsmchips.com This will allow the majority of tuning to be done for you, they can add cool things like a stutter box, eliminate the random misfire issue you get with a 6bolt motor with a 2g ECU, amongst other things.

2. Knock sensor can be wired according to Jips ECU swap

3. Hurdles, research! Know what needs to be done before you get knee deep in wiring. Accumulate an FSM for both a 2g and 7g so you have wiring diagrams for both(PM me). Give yourself time, its going to take more then one day! Lable all your wiring and use multiple color wires so you know what is what at each end. Being orginized helps so much.

FYI all the tutorials were moved to the "How to...tutorials" forum.
    7g for life!

there's doing a swap...
    and there is doing a swap.
    and if you want to do the swap...

its going to take a lot of research.
    not jsut what will work with what, or even jsut gettgin it intherre and running...
    its about knowing that motor, knowing yoru car, knowing tools, knowing fasteners, knowing how to write a check,
    knowing it all.

but maaaan is it ever worth it

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Its like going to a 2 year college dude, you gotta study and study to get it right the first time.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yap.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    Its like going to a 2 year college dude, you gotta study and study to get it right the first time.
    Yeah but when you're done,you will be very happy and proud of yourself.
    Good luck man

Experienced TGC Member

I can't believe that post still exists and is in use...

Swap the ecu with the engine, its easier. You can keep stock harness and just run a couple more lines for things like knock sensor, thats much easier then dropping in a new wiring harness.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

im studying that right now, plan to do mine over the spring.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    I can't believe that post still exists and is in use...

Swap the ecu with the engine, its easier. You can keep stock harness and just run a couple more lines for things like knock sensor, thats much easier then dropping in a new wiring harness.
    Yah man I kept the tutorial and posted it in non-html format.

So hows the Talon? Any new info?
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Yah man I kept the tutorial and posted it in non-html format.

So hows the Talon? Any new info?
    sucks to start all over again, I'm back where i was when I first got the galant years ago...but vast majority of these parts I pulled off the wrecked galant so just been slapping things back in place as they were on the g...so no not much progress havnt had much time to work on it. still NA & AT. Got a 5spd in the garage but can't find shift cables. I barely have time to work on it with my current job....but I did paint it satin black with a brush & roller with a can of rustoleum ;D

I dropped in an 8" touch screen with a mini itx PC that keeps me entertained...I have driven the car maybe 1000 miles since I picked it up 1.5 yrs ago, mostly sits in my driveway. got a civic daily driver, (sorry).. Working on it real slow already broke a tbelt blew a piston to pieces, destroyed the head...but fixed all that in april.

swapped in stock turbo pistons with total seal rings & 450cc injectors with a 1g turbo ecu
    pulled the balance shafts
    1g Big brakes in the front with greenstuff pads drilled n slotted rotors
    all my gauges/afc back in place, all emissions crap removed.
    the usual front/rear upper strut bars installed...el cheepo steering wheel just wanted smaller diameter don't care about name brands..

Cyclone intake waiting to be installed
    5spd waiting
    turbo waiting (nothing fancy here friend gave me a 14b will probably slap that on for now until after i do the 5spd swap then I'll put some money into the turbo)

anyone who knows me or remembers my posts here, knows I don't care too much for the expensive propepr way to do things, I'm not entering competitions and I dont care to race, I just like to tinker and dick around..not really sure why I bother...and if it blows it or falls apart while i'm doing 110..shit happens :)

-end ramble-
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Yo JIP you the man, just take your time. Cant wait to see when its all said and done.