The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear speakers

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    For the longest time now, the rear speakers in my girlfriend's 3G Eclipse have been acting up. Out of nowhere they will start to make thumping noises, like they are getting some kind of bass signal. I'm not sure if the speakers themselves are shot or if the wiring is shorting out somehow. There doesn't seem to be any certain time that it happens. It's pretty much random. You'll still be able to hear whatever music is playing, just that there will be some added thumping noises. I don't know what to make of it. The speakers are stock, but I don't want to replace them if they don't need to be. Any way to test them or the wiring?

are both of the rear speakers making the same thumping noise at the same time? do the speakers only make the noise when shes driving alone, or with you in the car, or both?

i dont think you need to test the rear speakers if you say they are working, but you can google speaker test sounds, and burn the files onto a cd. get some of the low frequency test files and put the fade all the way on the rear.

example
    http://www.eminent-tech.com/music/multimediatest.html

my guess, is that the wires that run to the back speakers got crushed somewhere - probably closer to the HU. they may be picking up interference if the insulation is cracked. maybe her foot, or a passengers foot, is hitting the carpet, which pulls slightly on the wires, which causes interference to mess with the sound.

hope this helps. oh, the thumping sound might stop if you stop running over ricers on the sidewalk too *thump thump* ;)

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I'm guessing the same, that the wires are damaged somewhere along the lines and just so lightly rubbing together or getting interference. I hate issues like that. good luck man
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Thanks guys. I'll try testing the speakers, but I'm afraid it is the wiring as well. It doesn't matter if she is by herself or both of us are in the car, the thumping still happens at random.

Is there anything that emitts some kind of interference that I could scan across the car 'til I got to where the problem might lie and make the speakers thump?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    Is there anything that emitts some kind of interference that I could scan across the car 'til I got to where the problem might lie and make the speakers thump?
    to create interference, you can try a cell phone. the older the better, but its not guarenteed. it may cause a tiny bit of interference along the whole line. i had an old cell phone, and knew i was getting a call about 2 seconds before it rang cause my speakers buzzed.

to detect interference, i have no idea.

sorry to say, but getting dirty and scanning the wires from front to back is going to be your best shot.

you might want to double check where the ground is at too. maybe its picking up something.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Alright, thanks. I know certain speakers, like on my computer at work buzz from certain phones when they are about to ring, but can a phone make the speakers thump? I guess I need to wait 'til spring. I'm not trying to check the wires in the cold.