The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: does anyone know?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    could a 91 eclipse dohc head fit onto a 6th gen es ? i dont really know if that is how i should put it but im just wondering could the head off of the eclipse fit onto the 6g es

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    i belive the 91 es was sohc. so if one wanted dohc some modding would have to be done.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Why would you wanna go from dohc to sohc?
    And yes modding would be in order.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Yeah, why would you?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    funny tittle. anyone know......head!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by panda
    could a 91 eclipse dohc head fit onto a 6th gen es ? i dont really know if that is how i should put it but im just wondering could the head off of the eclipse fit onto the 6g es

Are you talking about fitting a DOHC 4G63 head onto a SOHC 4G63?? There hasn't been much documented information about the SOHC 4G63 but I believe I read somewhere awhile back that the DOHC head won't work on the SOHC 4G63. Some guy on a GVR4 boards posted about doing the swap and he didnt have any success at all with it.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

hmm.. good stuff just wanted to know.. cause i was just curious.. :D know head hahaha that was pretty funnie i didnt even realize i put that there lol..

Your question has probably been answered already, but for anyone else that looks this up, a swap is possible, but modifications are deffinetly necessary. First off, you'll need the DOHC ECU, second you'll need to modify the ignition system. SOHC 4G63 uses a distributor ignition, DOHC uses direct ignition (hence the need for the ECU). You'll have to get a different ignition coil, and I believe the spark plugs are different. Plus, to make this smooth and avoid lots of electrical work, you'll want to pick up a DOHC wiring harness. When all is said and done, if you do all of the work yourself, you could possibly save $50 over just buying an engine and swapping it, but that's if nothing breaks, and you can find a really good deal on a head, cams, ecu, ignition coil and wiring harness. If you can't find any deals, you'll probably wind up spending even more money and time on the conversion than on a swap.
    1990 Galant GSX: HKS Super flow, front strut bar, KYB coil overs, UR underdrive crank pulley, Greddy Kevlar Timing belt, Revolution muffler, custom grounds, Center Force clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Pace setter header, 4 wheel cross drilled rotors

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    Why would you wanna go from dohc to sohc?
    And yes modding would be in order.
    I think you got that backwards.

Personally I'd go get info from ClubDSM.org

The mechanical swap isnt that bad, its the wiring mods that are difficult and time consuming.