The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ...engine noise

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Ok, well I went to the mall on Friday and pulled into a drive-thru, while i was waiting on my food, i heard an awful ticking sound. Well I had the time to look at it today. At around 2k, it becomes more of a raspy sound, and also when the trans shifts is when it becomes more noticeable. well, today i changed my oil, used a mobil 1 filter and 10w30. Well, its still doing it. It seems to be coming from passenger side of the motor. Search has led me to either the belt or lifters. To the ones that have had the lifters replaced, about how much did you pay? Can anyone help me out here, thanks fellows.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    was the ticking sound fast or like one every second?

I actually heard a knocking sound every second while mine was idleing in the passenger side but it went away a few minutes later.

I wonder if its the same thing.

Well it was definitely not every second, so fast? When it was idling it became more noticeable as the engine rpms went up and down. You can only hear it when you have the window down at a lower speed, I dont know if you cant hear it at higher speeds or if it goes away. At first i thought it could have been the header bolts, but all were tight, thats what the 71 does anyway. To me it sounds like a shimmy/schimy/schimy/s...

Oh ok. Mine was definately metal knock(somewhat loud). :(

Quote Originally Posted by Chevelle71_05
    Well it was definitely not every second, so fast? When it was idling it became more noticeable as the engine rpms went up and down. You can only hear it when you have the window down at a lower speed, I dont know if you cant hear it at higher speeds or if it goes away. At first i thought it could have been the header bolts, but all were tight, thats what the 71 does anyway. To me it sounds like a shimmy/schimy/schimy/s...
    Hey that sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. A continuous ticking or popping sound that you hear at idle, or at lower speeds. Once you accelerate and go faster it stops. I don't think it's effected my performance but it's sure damn annoying. I brought it to Goodyear servicing here to look at and they checked it out and said they thought it was my engine backfiring because I have an engine CAI and i might have gotten some oil onto my ECU so it's passing in too much air causing a backfire. They told me i either have to go back to stock air intake, else maybe if i change my exhaust system to allow more air outflow.

To be honest i'm sketchy on their answer and not sure it's accurate, so would love to hear anybody else who might have ideas on what's going on. Anybody?

i think it's lifter tick. mine does it too. last time i rplaced the lifters it was under warranty. try getting some oil stabalizer. mine seems to have stopped for the time being.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I have the same engie noise, and the belt noise.

The belt noise is like a squeak (decided to replace ALL my belts incl timing and water pump)

The engine noise is a constant knock, definitely the lifters, you can fix by buying and oil treatment and pouring half of it after an oil change (lucas oil treatment $10)

Its real think like caramel, it did the job, engine sounds smooth

The oil treatment is a great addition, it says it helps the engine a lot.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

Ah, I'll try using some.

Thanks.

So I took it to my mechanic to see when he could take a look at it. While we were talking it began to make the ticking sound, popped the hood, revved the motor, and says its the heat shield before the cat. So I leave go home, get a flashlight and look around. Sure enough, somehow one of the starter shield bolts came out, and the other, well take a look... turns out this shield was resting on the header part right below the starter... and to think it was my lifters, not yet!!

I have a 2001 galant does anyone know if the lifters are oiled filled like the 3000gt? Just curious Because i have a tick and it is from the engine and only happens once the engine really heats up and the oil is most definatly thinned out. That use to cause my GT to tick like that.

I have the same tick noise, I will go to Autozone right now and get me some oil treatment, lets see how it goes.