The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cops + my muffler = bad news

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25
    ok heres the thing , the cops have been a real bother about modified exhausts in quebec lately. Meaning that they require all cars to have the OEM exhaust . Since ive put a straight pipe from header to apexI muffler , i dont want to put back an OEM exhaust at 500 $ . I will also lose performance by going smaller output of air( i intend to go turbo) .

so my problem is this

how do i keep my performance while getting the sound down

for cops when they tail me , they have to see an OEM muffler

so i thought maybe i could cut the pipe and have it finish under the car ( might ahave to curve it for the fumes) and to put a fake exhaust on the back

i could isolate the hood and around the pipe and muffler but ( since its pretty hot il have to use something special )
    anyone?
    sounds weird ( it is actually)

so i need a better idea

im open to ANY suggestions. the more its different the better it is :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i'd say move to mexico!!!

maybe if you do the turbo size piping to the cat and after that go with a smaller tube and put a stock muffler

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Just add a long resonator after the cat. It will quiet things down a lot.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by mattalicslvr8g02
    maybe if you do the turbo size piping to the cat and after that go with a smaller tube and put a stock muffler

the problem is i removed the cat when i put my straight pipe and header. The cops wont check me for emissions. Its because for them its the sound ( first ) then its for polution they say but all that shit started becaĆ¹use theres too many young fools at night going at 7000 rpms while everyones sleeping

so they outlawed mod pipes

i know a cop or 2 in here and they told me for them to stop bugging me i have to first

make it quieter

second

we have to see an OEM exhaust ( can be any model of OEM exhaust, he wont find out, as long as its not big as chrome and carbon fiber (like mine )

2002 blue G RIP07

if you got the straight pipe + headers, just put back your oem exhaust.. or find a stock exhaust with a bigger tip!!! might even sound better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

Just add a long resonator after the cat. It will quiet things down a lot

</div>dont you lose power with a resonator ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

if you got the straight pipe + headers, just put back your oem exhaust.. or find a stock exhaust with a bigger tip!!! might even sound better.</div>

im sure it does but thats the thing

i need the car to make less noise

not a nicer one

but u gave me an idea there

cant i just ad a tip to the end of my muffler?

2002 blue G RIP07

yeah.. the stock muffs have their own reso inside that would eliminate noise.. with your straight pipe and headers making all the bang, it would blend nicely..

I don't get it. Why can't you have an aftermarket muffler?

^^ too high of a sound and it is an annoyance to people

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

they're called canadian cops..

How retarded. Does the text on the muffler need to be printed in French too?

bwahahahahahaha

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Resonators dont make you lose power. I have a resonator on my car, 3" downpipe, no cat, 12" long resonator and 3" the rest of the way back without a muffler, its not quiet, but its not loud.

Add a resonator after the cat, at least a 12" long resonator.
    7g for life!

I was (am) in the same boat as you. For a &#036;10 fix it ticket (I would also have to buy and put on an OEM style exhaust), I said F it and the State said F you and I ended up owing &#036;2500 for not paying the fine. I got stopped twice in one week (actually 3 times, the 2nd time I was ticketed, I got stopped again 15 minutes later when I was going home, but that cop let me off).

I still have the stupid Aerospeed muffler. I'm going to get rid of it next month and put something else on. I'm actually tired of here that "bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound anyways. (I wish I hadn't lost the silencer).

alright , resonator sounds good

no muffler huh so if i just cut my pipe in half lets says, u put in the 12 inch resonator, then the muffler then a piece of pipe on the end

so the cops will only send the end of the pipe which i can say is OEM , and with a resonator and muffler the sound should go down

Thinking extreme for a sec < would it be possible for a lets say a 400 hp car to be TOTALY silent? >

as for our cops , well i cant see them as bad as in the States

with shows like COPS and all :laughing: :laughing:

2002 blue G RIP07

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Qs
    Thinking extreme for a sec < would it be possible for a lets say a 400 hp car to be TOTALY silent? >
    My Galant makes ~325 crank HP right now and it is still pretty loud at WOT. At idle and cruise, it really isn't that bad. It is a V6 and I have RPW shorty headers, a 36" glass pack (resonator), and a Magnaflow Race Series oval muffler at the back.

However, even with the glass pack and the muffler, you can clearly tell my exhaust is modified when I'm driving. You'd be extremely hard pressed to restrain the sound of a 400 HP car.

grab one of these http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB1147.htm

its an oval style muffler but its straight through like an aftermarket muffler... ive got one on my car and it sounds great but my car is turbo so its a little deeper then a N/A car. ive got a highflow cat and a 12" resonator
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

You people need to join SEMA Action Network to keep informed on when bullshit like that goes to the polls. I'm glad I live in a state where I get away without having ANY exhaust past the last cat.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

My Borla muffler is not loud, but whenever I drive in the parking garage I can hear that alarms from the other parked cars starts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast