The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cutting teins

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    8G_GTZ

cutting teins

FrankMB told me a while back when he had the S Techs, he cut 1 coil on the front. Is this a safe thing to do? I only want to cut 1 coil as well because I am unhappy with the front gap.

Steve

Experienced TGC Member
    Wouldn't cut springs because you alter the spring rate when doing that. If you have agx's though you can probably get the shock to match the new rate by going stiffer or softer. If you have gr-2 stay away from cutting.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I cut all four corners 1 coil. I did have AGX shocks.

8G_GTZ
    thank you frank. I have GR2's, but I'm looking at AGX's now. Myabe just save until I get the Basic's. But I have to finish my exhaust first

Steve

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8G_GTZ
    thank you frank. I have GR2's, but I'm looking at AGX's now. Myabe just save until I get the Basic's. But I have to finish my exhaust first

Steve
    so its ok to cut teins?

its not ok to cut lowering springs. i mean im not saying it can't be done cuz its obviously been done but there are alternatives to doing so. progress springs drop lower than the tein springs, then there are coilovers.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Get progress springs I believe they drop pretty low.

Frank

How was the ride when you did this. Im courious. At what setting did you put them?
    :?
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

One of the first things I learned in gunsmithing school: NEVER ever cut a spring in any mechanical field, except as a last resort when all other options are exhausted. And even then you have to make damn sure you polish down the new end. Spring metals do not have the same properties as the metals we are more used to cutting on and you can screw up things like heat-treats and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_silvagride
    Get progress springs I believe they drop pretty low.
    Besides I have a set for sale. Pm me.

my first set of springs were H&R. i cut them 1 coil on all four corners. i HAD to in order to achieve the stance i wanted. this was back in 1999 before the 3G eclipse even came out and so there were no other aftermarket springs available (eibach came out in 2000) and there weren no aftermarket shocks or true coilovers either. if i wasn't the first to drop the USDM 8G i was among the first 3.

here is the b4 and after the cuts (top H&R, bottom H&R cut):

and just for comparison, w/ new wheels and TEIN SS-P: